iPhone Barometer Usage

LostWapiti

Lil-Rokslider
Can anyone comment on the accuracy of the barometer in iPhone and convince me why I should stop using it? It seems very accurate and reliable in my experience. iPhone 11 pro.

I have been using a combination of Hornady 4dof and a barometer app on my iPhone to get local pressure and have been very successful getting shooting solutions for my rifle. I do this both for PRS shooting as well as hunting.

It just feels weird to me since it seems like nobody else is doing this and people praise the kestrel gods. Why would I want an extra piece of gear when I am hunting?

Roast me and tell me why I shouldn’t be doing it this way or at least why it is not more popular.

What app are you referring to? I’m not familiar with what you are using, but most of my weather apps are not accurate. Also, the baro reading on my Kestrel is just a button push away from the wind reading so not sure an app would save any time.

OP
LostWapiti

LostWapiti

Lil-Rokslider
Here is what the app logo is as well as a screenshot of the app. I think most people don’t know that iPhones have a built in barometer but it also doesn’t make sense why shooting apps wouldn’t just leverage the barometer natively.IMG_1098.jpegIMG_1099.png

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Here is what the app logo is as well as a screenshot of the app. I think most people don’t know that iPhones have a built in barometer but it also doesn’t make sense why shooting apps wouldn’t just leverage the barometer natively.
strelok pro has a setting in the environmental section to use reset the calculation to the internal barometer, it doesn't automatically adjust though you have to hit the button each time you think there has been a meaningful shift in pressure. I use it frequently.

Main reason imho for a kestrel is the wind reading, secondary is other environmental data.