Iowa.

Gobbler36

WKR
The price of land here is built on a fallacy. 200inch bucks aren’t around every corner. Ag land doesn’t yield accordingly to warrant the cost of an investment. Farming has too high of a barrier to entry. Yet p.o.s. lots of land continue to trade at a premium. Outfitters run businesses where they intrigue nonresidents to buy land to hunt every so many years and lease the others. Rich celebrities get preferential treatment on tags and buy hobby acreage driving prices up further. Iowa is seriously messed up right now. Go down the rabbit hole of land ownership on onx then cross referencing llc’s and you will see the mess.
Unfortunately this is happening everywhere, and we can all think hunting media for this and the crazy demand we are seeing for shooting “boomers” for the gram

Agree with @Trackerbacker on land prices. The primary driver is and always has been ag economy. Just had 240 a mile north of me go for over $18k/ac at auction. Anything that can be farmed (reasonably or not) is being or going to be farmed. "Recreational land" continues to increase in value due to ag land inflation, and if its in one of the top 10 "big buck" counties, expect to pay an additional premium. Ask the "Whitetail Properties" guys about their strategies to sell more "hunting" properties.

Urban sprawl is also causing huge inflation in land prices. The metro areas in Iowa (especially central IA) continue to gobble up some of the most productive land in the world. Polk, Dallas, and Warren counties were traditional big buck magnets back in the day, but now housing developments, hobby farms, and folks with 3 acres and a hay burner on every ridge continue to reduce habitat and promote even further development.

Gobbler36

WKR
Agree with @Trackerbacker on land prices. The primary driver is and always has been ag economy. Just had 240 a mile north of me go for over $18k/ac at auction. Anything that can be farmed (reasonably or not) is being or going to be farmed. "Recreational land" continues to increase in value due to ag land inflation, and if its in one of the top 10 "big buck" counties, expect to pay an additional premium. Ask the "Whitetail Properties" guys about their strategies to sell more "hunting" properties.

Urban sprawl is also causing huge inflation in land prices. The metro areas in Iowa (especially central IA) continue to gobble up some of the most productive land in the world. Polk, Dallas, and Warren counties were traditional big buck magnets back in the day, but now housing developments, hobby farms, and folks with 3 acres and a hay burner on every ridge continue to reduce habitat and promote even further development.
This is somewhat contradictory here… even In areas where ag is not primarily responsible recreational properties are
some Of the south where is not big ag and a chunk of land is being marketed for hunting use they are fetching big $$$ too

This is somewhat contradictory here… even In areas where ag is not primarily responsible recreational properties are
some Of the south where is not big ag and a chunk of land is being marketed for hunting use they are fetching big $$$ too
Some of that can be attributed to multiple potential income streams for the property owner.
- cash rent for the farm ground
- annual CRP payment if some of it's in set aside
- potential hunting lease income

If a buyer can make enough money from the above channels to at least pay the property taxes every year, it's a win. A lot of folks in these scenarios also work out deals with their tenants to create and manage food plots as well. This eliminates the propety owner from having to purchase any equipment or spend any time prepping, spraying, and managing food plots, which if you've never done it before, can be a huge commitment in both time and money.

Gobbler36

WKR
Some of that can be attributed to multiple potential income streams for the property owner.
- cash rent for the farm ground
- annual CRP payment if some of it's in set aside
- potential hunting lease income
Ok…
if you guys are trying to say hunting on a property hasn’t increased land value I don’t know what to say and I don’t want to derail the thread.

good luck out there

TSAMP

WKR
Ya! Let's get back on track and talk about specific areas again and what we think of them for the world to read about, then complain about lazy hunters showing up where they otherwise would not.

Really?
why are there such companies such as whitetail properties sling land at a premium ?
unless you want the thesis on it, which i can provide, youll have to give me time, its akin to:

bird flu hits the chicken population. mass chicken death. chicken goes up in price. well, not to lose out, pork goes up in price. now, per pound, its the same price as beef. well, beef as the placeholder, must go up to maintain its differential pricing.

that is the quickest, most simplistic way of explaining it. you are looking at sub 2% of the real estate market.

ie:
AG land
Commericial
Industrial
Developmental ground
Niche land

as the macro land categories. within each are their own sub categories. when we look within each, lets say hunting land, its gauged against all comps within the area. lets say you have a 100 acre "hunting land" and a 1000 acre farm. both for sale, within 5 miles of eachother, and the most recent sales will be.....farm land....

provided what is occuring within the AG community, farm management companies, barriers to entry, outlays, commodity pricing, interest rates, on and on and on....that per acreage in say....iowa...is averaging $17k/acre M/L. tie into that that many are going the way of auctions for high bid pricing and other reasons....you have land that is now inflated. but wait, theres more details. whats the proximity to other locations, sales, uses, are there tax abatement programs, what county programs exist, whats the soil types.......

if you want, call a banker, an assessor, an appraiser, a developer, a RE agent, a REIT, a builder.......way down on that list...is privateers of hunting land...who would be good at justifying land costs and the reasons why.

you can not simply state 1 reason, within a micro niche, to why prices are increasing and inflating, and believe that is the sole reason for outlays to increase.

another, lets look at tractors within the ag community. Sec 179 increases in deferments, guess what happens to the price of tractors...up, tractors go up, well hot damn, 179 should increase to help out....

Ya! Let's get back on track and talk about specific areas again and what we think of them for the world to read about, then complain about lazy hunters showing up where they otherwise would not.
ok.

zone 8/9 iowa. that will prevent lazy hunters from going deep. its bluff country. strap on some boots, pack for overnights. you will beat the crowds, be in place faster and quieter than the lazy hunters, with more energy, deeper in, where the deer feel safe and comfortable.

look for drainages, ravines, pocket fields, bluffs and cover.

Gobbler36

WKR
unless you want the thesis on it, which i can provide, youll have to give me time, its akin to:

bird flu hits the chicken population. mass chicken death. chicken goes up in price. well, not to lose out, pork goes up in price. now, per pound, its the same price as beef. well, beef as the placeholder, must go up to maintain its differential pricing.

that is the quickest, most simplistic way of explaining it. you are looking at sub 2% of the real estate market.

ie:
AG land
Commericial
Industrial
Developmental ground
Niche land

as the macro land categories. within each are their own sub categories. when we look within each, lets say hunting land, its gauged against all comps within the area. lets say you have a 100 acre "hunting land" and a 1000 acre farm. both for sale, within 5 miles of eachother, and the most recent sales will be.....farm land....

provided what is occuring within the AG community, farm management companies, barriers to entry, outlays, commodity pricing, interest rates, on and on and on....that per acreage in say....iowa...is averaging $17k/acre M/L. tie into that that many are going the way of auctions for high bid pricing and other reasons....you have land that is now inflated. but wait, theres more details. whats the proximity to other locations, sales, uses, are there tax abatement programs, what county programs exist, whats the soil types.......

if you want, call a banker, an assessor, an appraiser, a developer, a RE agent, a REIT, a builder.......way down on that list...is privateers of hunting land...who would be good at justifying land costs and the reasons why.

you can not simply state 1 reason, within a micro niche, to why prices are increasing and inflating, and believe that is the sole reason for outlays to increase.

another, lets look at tractors within the ag community. Sec 179 increases in deferments, guess what happens to the price of tractors...up, tractors go up, well hot damn, 179 should increase to help out....
I don’t necessarily disagree with any of that but where are you finding that recreational purchases are a 2% niche im just arguing that it’s bigger than that i guess

ie:
AG land
Commericial
Industrial
Developmental ground
Niche land

^^^This right here, and he is just scratching the surface of a MUCH larger conversation, especially as it relates to equipment, seed, chemicals, fertilizer, etc... One input or sector can significantly influence artificial inflation in others. Throw federal subsidy support into the equation, and its a perfect storm.

Gobbler36

WKR
You can’t beat people blasting spots on the internet, just makes ya feel all warm and fuzzy

Reactions: OMB
Nothing we've shared thus far is a secret, and most of it is publicly available information on the DNR website. I appreciate the support folks on here have provided me for hunting out West, and there's no harm in paying it forward.

As a blanket statement, if guys want to come to IA to hunt a trophy whitetail, I recommend they hire an outfitter, purchase a lease, or bribe a family member or friend (of a friend) to hunt private. The amount of public here is tiny compared to the population, and the number of R and NR deer hunters is large. Per the article below, in the state of Iowa there is .1 acre of public land available per person and the competition on this land during deer season is significant. I'm not saying it can't be done, but 150s are still a trophy and don't live behind every tree in Iowa.

https://www.backcountrychronicles.com/public-hunting-land/

EDIT: Iowa is ranked 47th in the country for public land acres (2.8% of total available land).

You can’t beat people blasting spots on the internet, just makes ya feel all warm and fuzzy
i honestly dont care to blast or not. i have the same theory acrossed all sectors of my life.

lets look at it this way. EVERY football coach in the NFL knows EVERYTHING about tom brady...yet the man has gone on to win a record amount of superbowls.

i have 0 problem telling anyone anything. mainly because most at the end of the day either dont have the marbles, cant stomach x, no cojones, risk-reward factor, etc etc etc, that im not concerned.

coyotes know deer better than you or i, so im far less worried about you, than i am about wiley out there screwing something up.

Nothing we've shared thus far is a secret, and most of it is publicly available information on the DNR website. I appreciate the support folks on here have provided me for hunting out West, and there's no harm in paying it forward.

As a blanket statement, if guys want to come to IA to hunt a trophy whitetail, I recommend they hire an outfitter, purchase a lease, or bribe a family member or friend (of a friend) to hunt private. The amount of public here is tiny compared to the population, and the number of R and NR deer hunters is large. Per the article below, in the state of Iowa there is .1 acre of public land available per person and the competition on this land during deer season is significant. I'm not saying it can't be done, but 150s are still a trophy and don't live behind every tree in Iowa.

https://www.backcountrychronicles.com/public-hunting-land/

EDIT: Iowa is ranked 47th in the country for public land acres (2.8% of total available land).
for the internet to know:

I've got pop management tags in January, Winneshiek and Allamakee counties. I intend to hunt the following WMA's. my intent is doe only (it is an anterless only season as well). This is in zone 9 for non residents.

1671638811888.png

If anyone is out, feel free to tag along! if you prefer your own group, or solo, symbiotically or otherwise, its all fine by me. If i spot you out a ways walking any direction, i will wholeheartedly use you direction to my advantage. eitherway you are welcome to join, or thanks for the help.