Iowa.

A couple things to keep in mind for 9: A) best food sources are going to be on private that you'll have difficulty accessing and B) a good amount of bucks have already started to shed already. Depending how hard the rut was, it's not uncommon for us to have antlers pop off as early as Gun 1, I wouldn't want to trophy hunt late season in that area.
I am not doubting your experience relative to this, I just have the opposite of such, with the caveat being late Jan hunts I'll see sheds popping, I have rarely seen it occur earlier.

But again, a rare occurrence IME

Tourguide

Lil-Rokslider
Got a couple points already and had plans to keep building up for a chance at bowhunting the rut in one of the Southern zones 4-6.

Lately having a bit of chance of heart and thinking about using those points next year on late muzzleloader. What y’all think? Would it be worth to hit Iowa once every 2-3yrs for ML or wait for the bowhunt?
I was in brown county IL for their ML hunt last week, 40 degrees out and the big bucks didn't need to move, but I did pass up a lot of deer. I'm heading to Iowa zone 4 next week, its cold, and I hope it stays that way. The colder the better, I'm hoping for anything below 20 degrees, which it's going to be single digits there this week. This late in the season it's all about food sources.

I live in Mobile. Almost as far as it gets
Yea that is down there. My family is from Birmingham. Hunted the Black Belt area much?

I know most of the State Forest and a good bit of the Wildlife areas up in 9. There can be a lot of shed bucks towards the later parts of the seasons. Especially if it is an area that does not have much Ag close by for feed. That was a big sticking point with people when they started doing special Sample collections after all the regular seasons.

OP
rolltide05
Yea that is down there. My family is from Birmingham. Hunted the Black Belt area much?

I know most of the State Forest and a good bit of the Wildlife areas up in 9. There can be a lot of shed bucks towards the later parts of the seasons. Especially if it is an area that does not have much Ag close by for feed. That was a big sticking point with people when they started doing special Sample collections after all the regular seasons.
I have a lease just of South Montgomery. Been hunting the area for the last 18yrs. I grew up in TX and then family transferred here. Started traveling these last few years to scratch an itch that don’t stop.

I have a lease just of South Montgomery. Been hunting the area for the last 18yrs. I grew up in TX and then family transferred here. Started traveling these last few years to scratch an itch that don’t stop.
I have never hunted AL for deer. I have wanted to come down to hunt later to catch the rut, or to just take some more does for the freezer. Plus the GF would be willing to go on that trip since it would not be as cold as WI this time of year.

Is Montgomery area part of the Black Belt? I have heard that that area is considered pretty good hunting.

OP
rolltide05
I have never hunted AL for deer. I have wanted to come down to hunt later to catch the rut, or to just take some more does for the freezer. Plus the GF would be willing to go on that trip since it would not be as cold as WI this time of year.

Is Montgomery area part of the Black Belt? I have heard that that area is considered pretty good hunting.
It is considered the Black Belt and my property sets in the Southern Edge of it. The hunting is definitely better in the Black Belt ans Northern counties if the state.

I’m sure it goes for everywhere but our main drawback is lack of age structure and a three buck limit. Almost every run of the mill lease around here is smoking 2-3yr olds. There’s some better hunting in pockets of the state if you want to shell out the $$ but once it gets to that much, I’d rather go out of state.

My personal best for 18yrs in Alabama is a 136” 8pt and 135” 10pt. I have taken two others in the 130s and a dozen or so 110-125” deer off the area I am in.

First year I leased a small farm in North MO, I took a 150” 11pt and seen more big bucks in one week than I’ve seen my whole hunting career in Alabama. Didn’t kill, but that was the same scenario for my last two week trip to Texas and Oklahoma.

Swing a trip up in Jan 2023, bum a scout trip and see what you think, we'll be out.

He'll, it's only 16 hours or so from here to gulf shore when we made that trip..that's a night in Nashville, and boom, you're here practically.

hartigjosh

Lil-Rokslider
I moved back to Iowa a year and a half ago. The overall quality the last 10 years and heck 5 years has decreased exponentially. Couple factors have played in ... EHD (lowered overall age class and removed significant trophies and generations), overhunting and more efficient hunting (trail cams, weapons, so on, hunters are simply better at killing deer), and land development. More and more land is being converted (tree habitat removal) and also more and more private land that remains is being groomed to hold deer. These private blocks keep and grow deer and there is a strong case for these deer to never traverse public. You will continue to see huge deer taken on private, but the overall number of trophies roaming the state is no doubt decreasing. Iowa is popular... its coming at a cost.
I used to hunt Ohio (eastern, central and southern). I saw as good amount of quality deer there if not better numbers than I see in Iowa. There are a lot more trees and topography to hold deer. Iowa is losing trees and terrain, not gaining. There are a couple parts of the state that are still hidden gems but that is dwindling away and it aint zone 4/5

I moved back to Iowa a year and a half ago. The overall quality the last 10 years and heck 5 years has decreased exponentially. Couple factors have played in ... EHD (lowered overall age class and removed significant trophies and generations), overhunting and more efficient hunting (trail cams, weapons, so on, hunters are simply better at killing deer), and land development. More and more land is being converted (tree habitat removal) and also more and more private land that remains is being groomed to hold deer. These private blocks keep and grow deer and there is a strong case for these deer to never traverse public. You will continue to see huge deer taken on private, but the overall number of trophies roaming the state is no doubt decreasing. Iowa is popular... its coming at a cost.
I used to hunt Ohio (eastern, central and southern). I saw as good amount of quality deer there if not better numbers than I see in Iowa. There are a lot more trees and topography to hold deer. Iowa is losing trees and terrain, not gaining. There are a couple parts of the state that are still hidden gems but that is dwindling away and it aint zone 4/5
i would generally agree with that for iowa, specifically des moines-ames, the 380 corridor, and down in the quad cities region.

however the DNR managers ive talked to for SE iowa and NE iowa are giving an honest go and rehabbing the land, habitats, etc. Their biggest issue though noted, is the lack of predator controls affecting deer-pheasant/rabbit/quail.

until trapping and predator hunting pinches those species, land is the least concern.

i would generally agree with that for iowa, specifically des moines-ames, the 380 corridor, and down in the quad cities region.

however the DNR managers ive talked to for SE iowa and NE iowa are giving an honest go and rehabbing the land, habitats, etc. Their biggest issue though noted, is the lack of predator controls affecting deer-pheasant/rabbit/quail.

until trapping and predator hunting pinches those species, land is the least concern.
As for NE Iowa, I know first hand that there is a a lot of push for younger age structure of habitat. That is mainly being driven to try and hold onto the few grouse that are in the area. But is helping turkey and whitetails. The year after I left where I was working at they started converting some pretty big ag fields to tree plantings and letting the bottoms go back to thick river/creek bottoms. There is a loss of Ag in those chunks, but it makes up for it in nesting and security cover.

It is considered the Black Belt and my property sets in the Southern Edge of it. The hunting is definitely better in the Black Belt ans Northern counties if the state.

I’m sure it goes for everywhere but our main drawback is lack of age structure and a three buck limit. Almost every run of the mill lease around here is smoking 2-3yr olds. There’s some better hunting in pockets of the state if you want to shell out the $$ but once it gets to that much, I’d rather go out of state.

My personal best for 18yrs in Alabama is a 136” 8pt and 135” 10pt. I have taken two others in the 130s and a dozen or so 110-125” deer off the area I am in.

First year I leased a small farm in North MO, I took a 150” 11pt and seen more big bucks in one week than I’ve seen my whole hunting career in Alabama. Didn’t kill, but that was the same scenario for my last two week trip to Texas and Oklahoma.
The one time I hunter AL for turkeys it was made evident that a lot of people still abide by the not shooting does rule, and if it has horns it gets shot. It is almost the same here in WI still, except for some pockets. People around here think I am crazy for letting 150" deer walk in Iowa.

I'll follow this thread, but let me know what you decide. In a few years I may be up for burning points every other year for late muzzleloader.

As for NE Iowa, I know first hand that there is a a lot of push for younger age structure of habitat. That is mainly being driven to try and hold onto the few grouse that are in the area. But is helping turkey and whitetails. The year after I left where I was working at they started converting some pretty big ag fields to tree plantings and letting the bottoms go back to thick river/creek bottoms. There is a loss of Ag in those chunks, but it makes up for it in nesting and security cover.
I'm seeing it much more consistently with the younger DNR guys and gals, than i am with the older ones. It gives promise, and i do my part where and when i can, but a good portion hunt for antlers not harvesting meat and keeping a healthy population.

I'm seeing it much more consistently with the younger DNR guys and gals, than i am with the older ones. It gives promise, and i do my part where and when i can, but a good portion hunt for antlers not harvesting meat and keeping a healthy population.
What part of Iowa are you in?

That is due to the older guys finally retiring and newer generation of foresters coming in. The teaching in forestry school has changed a lot, from when the older guys went through, and focus more resource management and not just timber production. It was like pulling teeth to even get the wildlife division to realize that by not cutting they were doing more harm than good for wildlife, that change started back in 2008.

One of the issues on Forestry land is that the management plans are only written with a 10 yr life span. After that they have to be re-worked. If someone new comes in to a forest or is the head of the dept in Des Moines priorities can change for the next 10 years. I can go on and on about the issue with this system.

Antler hunting only is defiantly an issue. In the NE I was able to get onto several farms just by following through with shooting even doe that came through for awhile to lower the numbers on the farm. Crop damage was extensive and getting busted was the norm with 50 deer coming through every night. NR land owners and trophy managers wouldn't let people do push through during shotgun either or just doe hunt. People got in their head that they were going to grow 200"+ deer every year. What they didn't realize was that they had to find a way to pretty much set up on top of a buck since they didn't have to cruse for does with so many around. I use to joke that we had some of the biggest bodied buck in the area because they just stepped out of the draw and the does came to them. No chasing involved.

baz77

WKR
I spent 12 days in zone 5 on public this past season it was kinda meh imo..I live and hunt in Southern Ohio and didn't feel like it was any better than public at home more pressure for sure. I hunt 2 other states where I can buy tags OTC and have better hunting on public. I'll continue to hunt Iowa when I draw but I think my strategy will be to get a lease in an easier to draw unit.

I spent 12 days in zone 5 on public this past season it was kinda meh imo..I live and hunt in Southern Ohio and didn't feel like it was any better than public at home more pressure for sure. I hunt 2 other states where I can buy tags OTC and have better hunting on public. I'll continue to hunt Iowa when I draw but I think my strategy will be to get a lease in an easier to draw unit.
im not aware, what are the rankings of easy units in iowa?
What part of Iowa are you in?
well, over the past 15 years
DBQ-Calmar (decorah if you are looking on a map)-Eagle Butte SD-wyandotte OK-des moines metro(few cities)-Pella-DBQ currently again, probably long term provided the fact I (companies i owned) were bought out, came back and bought some land while consulting for now...

on average, i think its about 14 months/move approximately
That is due to the older guys finally retiring and newer generation of foresters coming in. The teaching in forestry school has changed a lot, from when the older guys went through, and focus more resource management and not just timber production. It was like pulling teeth to even get the wildlife division to realize that by not cutting they were doing more harm than good for wildlife, that change started back in 2008.
Yup, seeing lots of the younger guys turning leased out farmland back into natural habitat, putting in a fair bit of equity

One of the issues on Forestry land is that the management plans are only written with a 10 yr life span. After that they have to be re-worked. If someone new comes in to a forest or is the head of the dept in Des Moines priorities can change for the next 10 years. I can go on and on about the issue with this system.

Antler hunting only is defiantly an issue. In the NE I was able to get onto several farms just by following through with shooting even doe that came through for awhile to lower the numbers on the farm. Crop damage was extensive and getting busted was the norm with 50 deer coming through every night. NR land owners and trophy managers wouldn't let people do push through during shotgun either or just doe hunt. People got in their head that they were going to grow 200"+ deer every year. What they didn't realize was that they had to find a way to pretty much set up on top of a buck since they didn't have to cruse for does with so many around. I use to joke that we had some of the biggest bodied buck in the area because they just stepped out of the draw and the does came to them. No chasing involved.
yup. wont say any more than that....

most every year, gun 1 or gun 2 pending my schedules, ill almost always call the dnr regarding public ground and just bluntly ask for that are...doe or buck, usually a resounding doe, less a rehabbed field is getting killed from rubs.

with anterless population management seasons, i try to always go for doe (duh) but theres always the oddball button buck or shed buck that occurs.

well, over the past 15 years
DBQ-Calmar (decorah if you are looking on a map)-Eagle Butte SD-wyandotte OK-des moines metro(few cities)-Pella-DBQ currently again, probably long term provided the fact I (companies i owned) were bought out, came back and bought some land while consulting for now...

on average, i think its about 14 months/move approximately
Done that life a little myself. The DBQ area has quite a bit of Ag from what I remember, till you get close to the river. Covered that area over the years hanging Gypsy Moth traps.

hartigjosh

Lil-Rokslider
The price of land here is built on a fallacy. 200inch bucks aren’t around every corner. Ag land doesn’t yield accordingly to warrant the cost of an investment. Farming has too high of a barrier to entry. Yet p.o.s. lots of land continue to trade at a premium. Outfitters run businesses where they intrigue nonresidents to buy land to hunt every so many years and lease the others. Rich celebrities get preferential treatment on tags and buy hobby acreage driving prices up further. Iowa is seriously messed up right now. Go down the rabbit hole of land ownership on onx then cross referencing llc’s and you will see the mess.

The price of land here is built on a fallacy. 200inch bucks aren’t around every corner. Ag land doesn’t yield accordingly to warrant the cost of an investment. Farming has too high of a barrier to entry. Yet p.o.s. lots of land continue to trade at a premium. Outfitters run businesses where they intrigue nonresidents to buy land to hunt every so many years and lease the others. Rich celebrities get preferential treatment on tags and buy hobby acreage driving prices up further. Iowa is seriously messed up right now. Go down the rabbit hole of land ownership on onx then cross referencing llc’s and you will see the mess.
In RE/AEC, can confirm. Not as bleak as you put it, but it's dirtier/murkier than most perceive.