IOS 18 is available

Idaboy

WKR
Reminds me of circa ‘98 when few people had a cell phone but everyone had a pager. Until the new tech is widely adopted and compatible across operating systems it’s going to be limited in its practicality.
Some of us......cough,-cough-me...still carry pagers 🤷‍♂️

fwafwow

WKR
My apple is too old for sat text
Same. I've got the 13 mini - and get made fun of due to the size. But those insults bounce off of me, as I know I'm running that model for LW purposes. Bruh.

Seriously, I've thought about stepping up to the 14 or higher for this functionality. If I could figure out how to keep both iPhones, and use my primary cell # on both, I would be installing iOS 18 on one right now. Sometimes texting from a tree-stand is unreliable. The struggle is real.

EDIT - I'm not giving up my inReach Mini.

I’ll be keeping my inreach. Tried the Apple satellite thing and wasn’t very impressed. I sent a test text to my wife and waited two hours and never got her reply. Didn’t receive the respond text until back in cell service.

Chanimal

FNG
I tested iphone satellite messaging out over the week and found an issue. I had one bar of cell service at the spot I was in, but it was not enough service to send a regular imessage or text message. Since I barely had service satellite messaging option did not pop up. You cannot manually force satellite messaging and it would only pop up as an option if I dropped off the ridge to zero service area. I was in a dead zone where satellite messaging was not an option and not strong enough service to send a regular text/imessage.

tdhanses

WKR
I’ll be keeping my inreach. Tried the Apple satellite thing and wasn’t very impressed. I sent a test text to my wife and waited two hours and never got her reply. Didn’t receive the respond text until back in cell service.
Haha, don’t blame your wife ignoring you as an apple problem 😂. Mine does the same when texting.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like a real PIA. I’ll stick to Inreach for now.
Kinda what I was thinking. InReach mini with the Earthmate App is still pretty quick.

But I AM subscribing to this thread...be interesting to see how this tech evolves and how hunters use it.