IOS 18 is available

Loo.wii

WKR
The good news is that I think any pictures of your honey holes are safe! I think Apple proposed some sort of ability to scan iCloud pictures to find and report CSAM, but I think that was abandoned.
I don’t think that effort was abandoned. And it’s not “scanning” in the sense you imagine.

Nerd: every image, file, etc has a unique hash that can be calculated using specific algorithms. In this case it’s MD5. A few non profits as well as governments and corporations have a records of hashes that resolve to csam. What apple does is cross reference the hashes associated with the images on your phone to the list of csam hashes.

fwafwow

WKR
I don’t think that effort was abandoned. And it’s not “scanning” in the sense you imagine.

Nerd: every image, file, etc has a unique hash that can be calculated using specific algorithms. In this case it’s MD5. A few non profits as well as governments and corporations have a records of hashes that resolve to csam. What apple does is cross reference the hashes associated with the images on your phone to the list of csam hashes.
“Does” as in currently still doing? I had heard it was shelved, but maybe that has changed.

Note - I’m against CSAM and think pedos should be shot. But I don’t think the solution is what Apple proposed.

SDHNTR

WKR
Has anyone posted a dummy’s version of how on earth you make the sat texting functions work? Simple terms, please. I don’t speak tech nerd.

I was expecting the function to be automatic, or at least intuitive, when there was no cell service available. It is not.

jrb CO

FNG
Has anyone posted a dummy’s version of how on earth you make the sat texting functions work? Simple terms, please. I don’t speak tech nerd.

I was expecting the function to be automatic, or at least intuitive, when there was no cell service available. It is not.
Have iPhone 14 or newer
Update iPhone to IOS 18
Travel out of cell phone range
Open text on iPhone like always to text a contact
iPhone will give you a pop up stating no cell service would you like to satellite text?
Click on pop up and you will be prompted to connect to satellite
- iPhone will give you a right / left arrow to point phone to satellite
Green dot appears once connected to satellite
Text as usual
Remain connected to satellite (adjust with arrows to keep green dot) if want to receive reply

SDHNTR

WKR
Have iPhone 14 or newer
Update iPhone to IOS 18
Travel out of cell phone range
Open text on iPhone like always to text a contact
iPhone will give you a pop up stating no cell service would you like to satellite text?
Click on pop up and you will be prompted to connect to satellite
- iPhone will give you a right / left arrow to point phone to satellite
Green dot appears once connected to satellite
Text as usual
Remain connected to satellite (adjust with arrows to keep green dot) if want to receive reply
I’ve done all that, I thought, and I do not get a pop up to connect to satellite when in a zone with no cell.

riversidejeep

Lil-Rokslider
I just tried out the text thing yesterday, worked as described . It asked me to point at the satellite and the text uploaded. My ??? is how is my recipient going to receive the text if they are out of service area also? I want to use this to communicate with hunting partner when we are in a no service area. Does he need to initiate a satellite text to be able to receive the text I send ?

swavescatter

Pain in the butt!
I just tried out the text thing yesterday, worked as described . It asked me to point at the satellite and the text uploaded. My ??? is how is my recipient going to receive the text if they are out of service area also? I want to use this to communicate with hunting partner when we are in a no service area. Does he need to initiate a satellite text to be able to receive the text I send ?

Seems like you'll need scheduled check in times. You'll need to be in "satellite" mode to receive messages when out of range. While both parties are connected texting seems almost normal according to reports.

tdhanses

WKR
I’d make sure he is listed as an emergency contact to start with and then test it out.

tdhanses

WKR
Seems like you'll need scheduled check in times. You'll need to be in "satellite" mode to receive messages when out of range. While both parties are connected texting seems almost normal according to reports.
Do you need to be in satellite mode for emergency contacts? Or do those messages just come through once connected to satellites?

swavescatter

Pain in the butt!
Do you need to be in satellite mode for emergency contacts? Or do those messages just come through once connected to satellites?

I don't know. I think emergency SOS are only for local first responders? I don't think you can text emergency contacts in ios17...

tdhanses

WKR
I don't know. I think emergency SOS are only for local first responders? I don't think you can text emergency contacts in ios17...
I may be wrong but I thought there was something about the people you have setup in your contacts as emergency contacts can text you with out you initiating a text.