Interesting test on a frame

Status
Not open for further replies.

PA 5-0

WKR
What a difference 24hrs makes......Amazing. I am a happy Icon owner and was a doubter of the lighter bag fabric. I don't know if I would ever abuse an Ultra like that 400ft tumble did. Matter of fact, I know I wouldn't. But I am a pocket guy so me and my Icon 3000 and 5200 are gonna be hunting together for years to come.

Finch

WKR
This bag is tailored to guys like you. If you don't plan on using this bag 60 days a year every year, plus the 100 days you load it up and train. This bag is perfect, performance and price wise I would imagine for someone in your situation

Yeah, I think I've been over-thinking this a bit. Good thing is, time is on my side since my hunt isn't until Sept. 2015. I'll patiently wait to hear from everyday hunters on this pack's pros/cons.

Shrek

WKR
I'm just a newbie that's researching gear for my first elk hunt. Drama aside, I really don't know if I can find any fault in this pack. I mean...do I really need to spend twice the money on a pack that will get used 7-10 days a year ? Probably be once every two years if I'm lucky.

I would have preferred not to have seen the pack rip like it did but now I'm just being picky. :) That was a heck of a fall!

You get one shot every year or two. You save your vacation , buy a $600 tag , burn $1000 bucks plus for gas , spend hundreds of hours training , and save a couple of hundred bucks buys a pack from a company with a spotty pack building record. That frame flexes too much under a load or has other issues then everything you've worked for is in jeopardy or enjoyment is diminished. Personally I would let the Kuiu faithful guinea pig that pack before I packed my hopes and dreams in it and set off.

Jager

WKR
I honestly cannot believe the hoo ha over a pack durability test, I think too many people spend way too much time in front of the computer instead of out hunting, then the fresh air might perhaps make them think more clearly and actually give them a chance to try out the gear they have horded away.

A couple of packs were heaved of a cliff face, to show how they held up to some abuse, because that's what they'll cop from hunters that actually do get out from behind the computer, and in all honesty, turfing of a cliff is a pretty good way to do it.

If a pack cannot take any abuse, it is pointless taking it into the weeds, this, some people will only discover the hard way.

Go hunting fellas.

Mark

WKR
I'm not impressed by any pack that can tumble down a cliff. It does absolutely nothing for me. Totally unimpressed.

When one of these companies designs a pack that can tumble uphill, I'll buy it no matter who makes it. Even if it's a Badlands pack I'll buy it knowing that at the end of every season I can send it in for new zippers.

Somebody get busy on this design. To be reasonable about this, it can still tumble downhill, but only on command. It will obviously have to have a "Tumble Up" or "Tumble Down" button. Let's not be ridiculous about it and expect it to read minds. That would just be silly. Let's be realistic...

I think it has been stated, the pack test is not why they pulled there sponsorship.

This is true, but the way things have gone, it has turned into a personal pissing match focused on a silly cliff toss.

It's too bad things have gone this far off track, we should be working together promoting hunting and protecting our lifestyles, instead were wasting our time bickering with each other over stupid stuff.

Last edited:

Kody

FNG
It's too bad things have gone this far off track, we should be working together promoting hunting and protecting our lifestyles, instead were wasting our time bickering with each other over stupid stuff.

Very well said

whitingja

WKR
Well said Todd. We are all in this for the love of hunting and the outdoors. Let people make their own decision and move on.

JNDEER

WKR
You get one shot every year or two. You save your vacation , buy a $600 tag , burn $1000 bucks plus for gas , spend hundreds of hours training , and save a couple of hundred bucks buys a pack from a company with a spotty pack building record. That frame flexes too much under a load or has other issues then everything you've worked for is in jeopardy or enjoyment is diminished. Personally I would let the Kuiu faithful guinea pig that pack before I packed my hopes and dreams in it and set off.

Shrek,

It has been pointed out MANY times to please post up informative information that is FIRST HAND knowledge. Telling a guy who is new to the backpacking world that Kuiu packs are crap is childish and for those that follow you know that this is pure first hand SPECULATION.

The information you provide regarding the cost of a trip and to consider all of that when making decisions like buying new pack, is SPOT ON. However, that better answer would be for him to try them and see which pack fits his body the best and go from there.

Telling him that Kuiu packs are crap with there spotty building record when you have ONE backpack hunt under your belt (where you slept in a hotel mostly due to weather, I believe) and used a Kifaru does nothing for him!

I understand your stance on buy the best, but what is best for one person may not be what is best for everyone.

Shrek

WKR
You are absolutely right that I have no experience with an ultra. In fact no paying customers do. I would encourage anyone to try on the packs but unfortunately most of us don't have the option of going to the respective makers and trying them out.
Go ahead and get on the preorder list and wait. I'm eagerly awaiting some unbiased reviews like the one Matt did. All I've seen is a video by the maker doing tests. No way to know if it was the only pack tossed that day or the tenth. By not going with an independent tester and reviewer Kuiu gains no credibility in my mind what so ever. It's still an unproven and currently unavailable pack .
To the point of ending up in a motel. There is no better argument for going with a tried and proven product and company. I tried to save a few bucks by buying a lesser down bag and sent my whole hunt off course. I just bought a Western Mountaineering Kodiak. If I had bought it last year I would have saved a bunch of money on motel bills and the $150 for the closeout bag from STP. I would also been able to hunt another week. I won't be penny wise and pound foolish again.

cleatus

FNG
I have the first gen icon 6000. Trained with for 2 summers, 7 days elk hunting, packed out 1 mule deer. No problems. Would love to have the stones to throw mine off a cliff. Unfortunately I don't.

Huntr

Lil-Rokslider
Shrek, did Western Mountaineering submit a pack for the independent test?

Status
Not open for further replies.