Insulation for stand hunting. Bibs or pants

So Im looking to see what others are using for the sub freezing days in the stand. I had a Santurary set and only got them out twice last year as the temps must be below freezing. The bulk turned me off of them otherwise I like them. This year I added a Arcteryx atom ar to put under my Jet stream jacket; to me this had the same warmth as the Santurary Jacket. I need a insulation layer to add for when colder for my legs. My thought it to get the solitude bibs and be done with with. But these don't offer much use for when I go west. Looking at the Kifaru LP pants or similar from first lite or SG. I just missed the sale they had on them for the Kryptek pattern.

What are you guys using from your western kits for cold stationary sits?

TBHasler

WKR
Just got back from an OK whitetail trip - mild and cold temps, but nothing crazy. I use layers and puffy pants (glassing) on my lower and don’t really care how bulky I am in my lower half. I don’t have to walk far and I move so little in stand noise isn’t an issue. I feel it’s critical to stay more compact on my upper half and I layer in more streamlined technical gear on the upper half that I know I can draw efficiently and shoot accurately with.
If you’re looking for double duty bottom gear I’d suggest piggy’s that can work for stands and glassing after hikes. If you’re not worried about the double duty, I think the bibs are a smart choice.
I still get a little chilled up top keeping things streamlined and I’ve thought about just biting the bullet on a pair of heavy duty bibs.
Good luck

mikear

Lil-Rokslider
Sub freezing stationary sits = Sanctuary bibs for me. The solitude doesn’t quite cut it under 32°. The solitude does cover me over a wider range of temperatures and if upsized could work with more layering.

That being said, I can’t imagine taking either out west. I believe if you get something to pull double duty you’ll end up compromising one way or the other. Kind of like a fish and ski boat. Does both, but doesn’t do either great.

OP
Corey Paulsen (teamkabob)
Just got back from an OK whitetail trip - mild and cold temps, but nothing crazy. I use layers and puffy pants (glassing) on my lower and don’t really care how bulky I am in my lower half. I don’t have to walk far and I move so little in stand noise isn’t an issue. I feel it’s critical to stay more compact on my upper half and I layer in more streamlined technical gear on the upper half that I know I can draw efficiently and shoot accurately with.
If you’re looking for double duty bottom gear I’d suggest piggy’s that can work for stands and glassing after hikes. If you’re not worried about the double duty, I think the bibs are a smart choice.
I still get a little chilled up top keeping things streamlined and I’ve thought about just biting the bullet on a pair of heavy duty bibs.
Good luck
My upper is stream lined for bow with the jet stream jacket. That Santurary set was warm.

Just get the LP pants from Kifaru and call it a day. Like wearing a sleeping bag!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I do like my slick bag.

Sub freezing stationary sits = Sanctuary bibs for me. The solitude doesn’t quite cut it under 32°. The solitude does cover me over a wider range of temperatures and if upsized could work with more layering.

That being said, I can’t imagine taking either out west. I believe if you get something to pull double duty you’ll end up compromising one way or the other. Kind of like a fish and ski boat. Does both, but doesn’t do either great.
My lower I have timberline or Attack pants on, mid weight, and light long underwear. Good in the 30's. But the few days it dropped in the 20's I did have to pull my carharts bibs out in my pack and put time on. I think some of my issue to is getting cold transfer from my stand and not much of a wind barrier for my legs in the stand. I could possible end up with another pair of heavy weight bibs. But won't go back to the jacket. I do have a buddy that has two different type of puffy pants and I might borrow one pair to test for a January hunt. You are correct that the Santurary set I had was specialized for hunting from a stand. But for me it just sat in a box for those few times I used it. So I sold them.

I've got a couple pairs of puffy pants (nunatak and Sitka kelvin) for out west but neither appeal to me for treestand hunting (MN). They don't offer the same warmth/comfort as a dedicated set of bibs.

WCB

WKR
Bibs hands down...hunt late season in MN all the time...Only time I wear pants is if I wear my wool and my wool jacket extends about mid thigh.

Best part about bibs...quick to take off and walk in and out.

RCL

WKR
Insulated bibs for me.
Just seem like they keep me more comfortable.
Also, I have to have a pad or insulation between me and seat of stand.

Edogg_32

FNG
Central KS temps and the Sitka fanatic bibs work amazing! They really hold in your heat well while completely blocking wind.

williaada

WKR
I wear a set of bibs for stand hunting, and on occassion I bring a light weight down blanket out too.

I wore a set of artic shield bibs in Saskatchewan last year with a base layer under them. Worked great, pack them in and layer once your there. Anything artic shield when it’s cold!

JimGa

Lil-Rokslider
I bought the Stratus bibs this year and OR puffy pants. I wore both separately in mid-high 30's with wind. Had on light weight merino bottoms and Wrangler pants. Both were good in those conditions. I bought the Stratus big enough to fit the puffys under and I believe they would be fine in the 20's. Pretty versatile and relatively light. The OR are less than a pound and compress pretty small. The Stratus don't pack small but aren't heavy. Stratus would not be an out West pant, OR would be.

LostArra

WKR
What is your treestand seat? My Hunt Comfort (Scout) pad really helps with warmth since a treestand can become a heat sink in brutal cold. I wear Cabelas Wooltimate pants in frigid conditions. No good for western hunting but amazing in the stand.

spc7669

Lil-Rokslider
I carry a Woobie and crawl in it. Put my boots in some Arctic Shield boot blankets. Works pretty good, but I’d listen to the guys from up north. That’s a different kind of cold.

chadwhit

FNG
I've gotten away with just heavy merino under fanatic bibs for kansas archery sits. For those days that don't make it out of the 20's, I throw downpour pants on under bibs. Seems to really help with heat retention + another wind blocking agent.

My old man runs similar but goes with cabela's puffy paint when the temps really drop.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

*zap*

WKR
Real cold and I wear my old cabelas stand hunter bibs with a Milwaukee heated vest under them. Fanatic bibs are also very good but the stand hunters are warmer, I had sanctuary bibs and sold em. hbs is also an option, I have an older hbs I would sell to you for $200, it would fit you. Its very warm and in good condition. Older camo pattern.