Insulated jackets that can rival a puffy?

I traded for my blaze orange Patagonia pullover and bought my black one off of their used website.

I really like them, I have switched to just using them, no puffy jacket anymore. I hunt/recreate in Colorado all year and they work well for me. So far the coldest I’ve worn them in has been 10°.

P Carter

WKR
If you’re looking for new, these are new. Much warmer than traditional fleece, not as warm as down. Will need to pair with a wind layer, though.

I have it, like it a lot, but don’t use it a whole ton hunting because it’s that weird spot of too hot to hike in but not as warm as an equivalent down layer when stationary.

Whats the reason for wanting to avoid a puffy jacket?

Alluded to above, but a big part of staying warm is more than just a warm jacket. You lose heat through your head and hands about as much as your torso, so if trying to avoid a puffy jacket 1) put a warm neck gaiter and hat on. 2) wear mittens, not gloves 3) insulate yourself from anything that will conduct warmth away from your body—sit pad is a good call. 4) make certain you are dry—if you sweat, bring a dry baselayer top and change when you stop and are inactive. 5) warm liquids and eat. Or do the 1980’s ice climber schtick and do shots of olive oil before heading out for the day. 😂

If you do all the above religiously you can extend your comfort without a puffy, but you still might need a puffy. Some people put out more heat than others, so if you just run cold, there is nothing better than a down puffy in terms of warmth while being packable and light. There are also many different weights of puffy jacket—so you might find that a thinner or thicker weight puffy works better for your combination of priorities. Better quality down (ie 850 or 900 fill versus 650 or 750 fill) will give you the same warmth with less puff…but it comes at a price.
This.

I usually run up the mountain to get to my spots to get the hard part out of the way. I generally wear a thin layer…and that’s it. When I get to the huntable country I change out of the wet clothing and move in stock mode. I layer according to temp and movement.

It’s pretty hard to beat down insulation when you’re sitting around. Keep it dry and you’re good to go. For me, I like the smaller packable down jackets and vests that allow me to customize my insulation system given the temp. I have a couple mongo sized puffy coats, but they don’t leave camp. They are great for ice fishing on real cold days. Otherwise, too bulky for my hunting pack.

Macintosh

WKR
I'm not avoiding. I'm just questioning if there is any whizz bang new insulation layers I have not experienced before.

I don't follow trends in clothing. I don't really pay attention to clothing. I've been using the same layering system since I was a young teenager. A puffy coat is the only piece of clothing I have never owned. I had made my mind up that it would fit those key occasions I'm miserable in the field. Before i plopped down coin or a flat lander puffy coat I wanted to check if I was missing any other forms of insulated jackets that are packable.
In that case, no, I am not aware of anything new that can replace a down jacket. Some of Taperpins earlier list of shortcomings of down are legit, and there are plenty of synthetic insulated jackets out there to address some of down's shortcomings with regard to getting wet, but those are all also bulkier and heavier than down. The one new aspect that is out there is some very good down fabrics that retain good breatheability but are a lot more water-resistant than old-school versions, as well as some of the "water-resistant down"; this is down that is chemically treated so it doesnt lose nearly as much loft when wet. I am a couple years out of date on this as I no longer work for an outdoor apparel manufacturer, but at least some of this stuff is junk becasue the treatment wears off (both in use and in the wash) and the treatments actually interfere with the insulating value of the down in the first place, BUT there may be some down treatments at this point that are better. Regardless, if the weather is below freezing it's generally fairly easy to keep down dry, and there is nothing on earth I'm aware of that has the combination of warmth, light weight and low packing volume as a good down jacket.

I'd say if you have never had a puffy jacket, and you are looking for a solution you can carry easily, but throw on when you sit down for glassing, lunch, etc in very cool or cold weather, then you are really missing out--it's a must-have for me. To me, that's exactly what down is best at--packability and light weight that adds a LOT of warmth, allowing you to be light and unencumbered, but stay really lightly dressed when moving to avoid sweat and allow you to move faster, yet stay totally warm enough any time you stop moving entirely.

Last edited:
I live in CO and mountaineer a bit besides the mountain hunting. So the down jacket goes over the shell, not under it...and is used only when stopping...but maybe you already knew that? Not sure but bears mentioning as it is not what people expect.

So base layer - mid layer - maybe an additional different warmer mid layer depending on activity and temp - shell - then the larger down jacket that goes on over all of this only when stopped and its cold.

Different than what you would do in a wetter climate most likely but that works pretty well here. A ton of people also go softshell for the shell or not full on goretex pro shells but I mostly stick with the burly shells for what I do. I also have lighter shells though for early season.

Surf youtube for mountaineering layering advice and you'll see similar as it works well. You just gotta adapt the layers to your climate (wet, dry, temp range, etc).

Outdoor Research Helium down jackets are pretty tough but are not for wearing on their own in winter...they are designed for layering. I also have a huge Bergens of Norway Down jacket made for skiing that has pit zips and I use that for the over everything down jacket - it's awesome!

I would suggest shopping places like Steep and Cheap for non hunting brands on sale - last years gear usually works the same just different colors for the jackets. That and Sierra Trading Post...both places have provided me with affordable mountain gear.

OP
flyfisher117
I live in CO and mountaineer a bit besides the mountain hunting. So the down jacket goes over the shell, not under it...and is used only when stopping...but maybe you already knew that? Not sure but bears mentioning as it is not what people expect.

So base layer - mid layer - maybe an additional different warmer mid layer depending on activity and temp - shell - then the larger down jacket that goes on over all of this only when stopped and its cold.

Different than what you would do in a wetter climate most likely but that works pretty well here. A ton of people also go softshell for the shell or not full on goretex pro shells but I mostly stick with the burly shells for what I do. I also have lighter shells though for early season.

Surf youtube for mountaineering layering advice and you'll see similar as it works well. You just gotta adapt the layers to your climate (wet, dry, temp range, etc).

Outdoor Research Helium down jackets are pretty tough but are not for wearing on their own in winter...they are designed for layering. I also have a huge Bergens of Norway Down jacket made for skiing that has pit zips and I use that for the over everything down jacket - it's awesome!

I would suggest shopping places like Steep and Cheap for non hunting brands on sale - last years gear usually works the same just different colors for the jackets. That and Sierra Trading Post...both places have provided me with affordable mountain gear.
Thanks. In another thread I saw many people talking about wearing their puffy under their shell. I was confused assuming it would jisy compress the jacket and reduce it's effectiveness, but I didn't look at the climate. Maybe they were talking about wet climates?

Gotcha_

FNG
Wait whaaaaa??? Can you please help understand why? Always put down under, is it because it gets de-lofted?

Macintosh

WKR
Down works both ways and its very common to see both.

Under a shell, it might or might not get compressed…depends on how big your shell is. Under a shell there is zero wind passing through it so it is warmer, and it will not get wet from external rain/snow/frost, etc. However, it may get compressed a bit if you didnt size your shell to fit over a puffy, and it is more susceptible to getting wet from your perspiration. Its also less convenient, requiring you to take off two jackets every time you want to adjust a layer, and because of this lots of people are not as diligent about moisture management and end up sweating. Most WPB fabrics also rely on a temperature gradient between inside the fabric and outside to allow breatheability, so if the shell is separated from your body by the insulation in very cold wx you will often get frost between the puffy and the shell that can wet out the down.

Over a shell is very common too because the fabrics now are fairly wind resistant and will shed light snow or frost reasonably well, as its more convenient to add and shed the layer as needed to stay warm without perspiring, so you are more likely to be diligent about this. Biggest advantage in dry weather is that it stays drier on the outside because your sweat cant reach it. In wet wx that may be reversed. Lots of climbers mainly keep it outside because they repeatedly put it on and take it off each pitch and its a PITA to adjust the underneath layers with a harness each time.

Many people, myself included, will do both depending on the situation and the puffy.

Gotcha_

FNG
Down works both ways and its very common to see both.

Under a shell, it might or might not get compressed…depends on how big your shell is. Under a shell there is zero wind passing through it so it is warmer, and it will not get wet from external rain/snow/frost, etc. However, it may get compressed a bit if you didnt size your shell to fit over a puffy, and it is more susceptible to getting wet from your perspiration. Its also less convenient, requiring you to take off two jackets every time you want to adjust a layer, and because of this lots of people are not as diligent about moisture management and end up sweating. Most WPB fabrics also rely on a temperature gradient between inside the fabric and outside to allow breatheability, so if the shell is separated from your body by the insulation in very cold wx you will often get frost between the puffy and the shell that can wet out the down.

Over a shell is very common too because the fabrics now are fairly wind resistant and will shed light snow or frost reasonably well, as its more convenient to add and shed the layer as needed to stay warm without perspiring, so you are more likely to be diligent about this. Biggest advantage in dry weather is that it stays drier on the outside because your sweat cant reach it. In wet wx that may be reversed. Lots of climbers mainly keep it outside because they repeatedly put it on and take it off each pitch and its a PITA to adjust the underneath layers with a harness each time.

Many people, myself included, will do both depending on the situation and the puffy.
This all makes sense. Thanks.

I want/need an insulated jacket for those cold days glassing. I have my eyes on a SG Gruman jacket. Before I purchased I wanted to reach out and see if there were any insulated jackets that could rival the Gruman without being puffy. This will be used in Idaho any time it's needed September through May.
My priorities

1) Packability, I run extremely hot hiking, I will be drenched in sweat short order. Then I will freeze my ass off sitting. What ever I chose will be in and out of my pack and maybe not even needed some days. The Gruman seems to be built for this.

2) Warmth I am after the best all around warmth I can get. The Gruman may be on the upper end of what I need.

3)Cost. The $350 for the Gruman is about all I am looking to spend.

4)Durability is sort of last on my list. Obviously I want quality but I do know I won't be busting brush in it. I hate to even mention durability. I just know every thread I have read turns into stories about someone's uncle sneezing too hard and blowing the feathers right out of their puffy jacket. 🤪
Ever consider a woobie? In November and December, it gets winter here. Lows in the teens or single digits. Sometimes below zero. Highs in the teens or 20’s. Three days later it might be a low of 20 and a high in the 40’s.

I get sweated up on long hikes. I pack my a couple base layer, a good fleece pullover and a warm vest that breathes. I use a woobie when I set.

Best of both worlds. When it’s time to move I just stuff it in the pack. Deploy it next time I set for a while. Base layers and fleece covers me when sneaking around and hunting. The woobie keeps snug as a bug when I decide to set for a while.

I seriously believe if people will try this, they’ll sell but a few coats and jackets. It’s that warm. And my homemade woobie wrights 16 ounces in its stuff sack. If I’m hunting an area where there’s a long walk, it’s the only way I go now.

OP
flyfisher117
Ever consider a woobie? In November and December, it gets winter here. Lows in the teens or single digits. Sometimes below zero. Highs in the teens or 20’s. Three days later it might be a low of 20 and a high in the 40’s.

I get sweated up on long hikes. I pack my a couple base layer, a good fleece pullover and a warm vest that breathes. I use a woobie when I set.

Best of both worlds. When it’s time to move I just stuff it in the pack. Deploy it next time I set for a while. Base layers and fleece covers me when sneaking around and hunting. The woobie keeps snug as a bug when I decide to set for a while.

I seriously believe if people will try this, they’ll sell but a few coats and jackets. It’s that warm. And my homemade woobie wrights 16 ounces in its stuff sack. If I’m hunting an area where there’s a long walk, it’s the only way I go now.
I have, and I do occasionally. That's what I did last year but it was so windy I couldn't keep the wind out or the woobie on me. I even carried my sleeping bag and unzipped it into one to see if that would help.

yeti12

Lil-Rokslider
Stone glacier cirque jacket is similar in warmth to a down jacket. Won't pack like one though. Probably about what you are looking for.

I have, and I do occasionally. That's what I did last year but it was so windy I couldn't keep the wind out or the woobie on me. I even carried my sleeping bag and unzipped it into one to see if that would help.
Really? I’ve hunted in high winds and never had that problem. For me it solved the problem of a coat for inactivity while setting and watching. I just wrap up in it good. When I say high winds I’m talking 20 mph so that might be the difference.

tracker12

WKR
I have two different RAB jackets and love both of them. One I have had for at least 8 years and it is still in great shape except for one small rip in the sleeve that was easily repaired.

kaboku68

WKR
Ibex wool used to make a made in USA Loden jacket that was constructed of Austrian Merino wool. They had some financial problems and they ceased production of them. They are heavy but they are nice as any puffy and work in snow, drizzle and cold. They have old school cool and are so comfortable. Much recommended.

Just ordered a Montbell Upland down parka to try out on a late season mule deer hunt. 7.1 oz fill weight and weighs 19 oz. Was looking at the alpine parka but it only weighs 3 oz less and has same fill weight. Upland was also $100 cheaper. For my purposes it should work. Bought it off the Japan website in their western fit Large. $220 CAD all in. Will update with sizing and first impressions when it gets here.

Jayhat

FNG
I can wear nothing more than a t shirt and even in cool to cold Temps I will be sweating while hiking.

I have my base layers, mid layers, and Goretex shells figured out. They work great. Until I stop to sit down then I am sitting there shivering.

I'm after that layer of warmth that makes sitting on a wind swept Ridgeline tolerable.
I feel that. I pour sweat snowshoeing. I have to basically wear a thin wool layer while hiking and then just change out of it into a dry layer and jacket once I stop.

OP
flyfisher117
Not to be a fashioneesta.. 🤣

Does the gray of the Grumman grow on you? Snagged a gray over the holiday weekend and second guessing the color... my entire wardrobe is some shade of green, tan, blue, and black. 🙃

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not to be a fashioneesta.. 🤣

Does the gray of the Grumman grow on you? Snagged a gray over the holiday weekend and second guessing the color... my entire wardrobe is some shade of green, tan, blue, and black. 🙃
Personal preference. I like browns and greens but those options on the Grumman look disgusting in person to me. The gray is a little light but by far my favorite of their options.

Their tan/brown whatever they use on the wool shirts and synthetic pants look great.

OP
flyfisher117
Personal preference. I like browns and greens but those options on the Grumman look disgusting in person to me. The gray is a little light but by far my favorite of their options.

Their tan/brown whatever they use on the wool shirts and synthetic pants look great.
I'll probably tough it out with gray. Just self conscious after wife told me I looked like a Michelin man. Lol. I haven't seen the SG Brown or green in person but had seen gray.