Inquiring minds; air pollution

Beendare

WKR
I see NY wants to shut down wood fired pizza ovens….while a huge portion of the US is blanketed in smoke from wildfires.

When are the governments going to realize the fallacy of these policies.

Fwiw, its estimated that the billions of tons of soot from the CA wildfires set the US emissions back decades.

Sure its difficult to put out some of these fires…but some of the out of control fires are a result of poor forest management.

Just a thought, but maybe focus on Forest management vs shutting down a few wood fired pizza places….

DanimalW

WKR
The Midwest has had its share of smoke from the west and Canada the last few years for sure. But they focus on cars and trucks, even though the average 2 stroke weed wacker supposedly pollutes the air more than your car. I have zero answers though. Might have a cigar tonight since sitting outside is smokier than a bar circa 1999.

jayhawk

WKR
I read a narrative from the mid-1700s, and in it the author describes how the weather was becoming so much warmer over the decades. He attributed this warming to deforestation, as farming uncovers the ground and allows it to absorb more heat.
Note: this is pre-industrialization and pre-emissions.

I just thought it was interesting.

Just a thought, but maybe focus on Forest management vs shutting down a few wood fired pizza places….
So it's not a ban. It's a proposal to reduce emissions from older ovens.

And a New York City Department doesn’t have any authority on forest management. Have you ever been to NYC? No forests.

cjdewese

WKR
Believe it or not, where I live in Southern California has been doing controlled burns for the last 2 weeks on our mountain range. They've burned a substantial amount of the undergrowth and thickest areas on the mountain, which is great to see.

I've lived in the same area for 39 years and when I was a kid they did it all the time and rarely had a fire that was meaningful. Maybe someone is starting to get smarter with how things should be managed.

NY is currently pushing Electrification for heating and cooking appliances through mandates and rebates with the DOE. I've heard that Texas is promoting rebates to customer to join the Natural Gas grid.

grfox92

WKR
I moved my family of 5 out of NY 3 years ago, like it was an emergency. All my friends and family keep telling me how bad it has gotten and how I made the best move imaginable.

Best decision I ever made for me and my family.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I'm not defending it, or supporting it.

I just like facts and accuracy.
Fair enough. My thoughts are that the government should be more concerned with things that actually have large impacts on emissions. You know, things like airports, industrial plants, china, etc. Their popularity regarding emissions is wearing thin when they have the little guy in their crosshairs—they could be going after the trophies. A simpleton like myself could easily think that gas stoves really aren’t of major concern, it’s really more about an agenda to make green companies more money.

jmez

WKR
Low hanging fruit with no influence. It's politics as usual.

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2023 using Tapatalk

Htm84

WKR
I see NY wants to shut down wood fired pizza ovens….while a huge portion of the US is blanketed in smoke from wildfires.

When are the governments going to realize the fallacy of these policies.

Fwiw, its estimated that the billions of tons of soot from the CA wildfires set the US emissions back decades.

Sure its difficult to put out some of these fires…but some of the out of control fires are a result of poor forest management.

So you want the US government to manage Canadian forest?
Maybe instead of crying about government all day you should get off your ass and do something?

Erict

WKR
Have you ever been to NYC? No forests.

A forest is not necessarily a large, unbroken tract of trees. "An analysis of the urban forest in New York, New York, reveals that this city has an estimated 7.0 million trees (encompassing all woody plants greater than one-inch diameter at breast height [d.b.h.]) with tree canopy that covers 21 percent of the city." (USDA REPORT)

Rob5589

WKR
NY is currently pushing Electrification for heating and cooking appliances through mandates and rebates with the DOE. I've heard that Texas is promoting rebates to customer to join the Natural Gas grid.
California's ban on gas appliances was recently overturned.