In vehicle navigation while hunting

I know, we really should be going back to simple things like basic maps and a compass, and surveying tools too.

Everyone should always be able to read a map and compass, but if I have a choice over paper and a compass or a gps, I'm taking the gps. Especially traveling to an area ive.never been to in the dark and driving after working all day.
In all fairness, the little isolated parcels of public land were a lot better hunting back then when they took some real effort to find. Especially pre GPS.

CMF

WKR
If I need navigation I'll sometimes copy trailhead waypoints from Onx to Google maps to navigate. I leave both maps open and sometimes toggle between them both to mark waypoints on Onx and look at private/public boundaries while keeping the google on to make sure I don't miss turns.

Don't have an in vehicle screen so use window mount phone holder.

Slick8

Lil-Rokslider
Tried it on my truck last night, worked great.

Found the wild game restaurant without issue. My wife laughed asking why I needed a hunting app to go to the rainbow lodge when we've been several times.

Tod osier

WKR
What is everybody using when you're driving between spots, on and off pavement goinf to waypoints? I have a non fancy screen/navigation f150 so I usually am holding my phone running onx. It's annoying and if I'm being honest with myself it's one of the reasons I am considering a new truck, for one of those giant screens with carplay.

I started thinking on a tablet, or I see garmin has a in vehicle package. What say you experts?

I got the big screen on the F250 when I ordered it, and have been waiting for OnX for android and now it is finally here, works great when it isn't glitching out. I was using OnX on an iPad and that worked well previously.

intunegp

WKR
Just became active with Android Auto!

I've got a Kenwood unit in my truck.

When I go to my Android Auto settings, I don't see OnX under the apps that can be added to the launcher. All my apps and the phone are up to date. Any advice?

edit: Nevermind. Play store didn't show me the update but as soon as I opened OnX there was an update available. All good now.

When I go to my Android Auto settings, I don't see OnX under the apps that can be added to the launcher. All my apps and the phone are up to date. Any advice?

edit: Nevermind. Play store didn't show me the update but as soon as I opened OnX there was an update available. All good now.
Good, because my answer was gonna be "That's weird, it just showed up for me!"

Luked

WKR
I use the Android Auto from my phone to the display in my Ram truck.
I normally am using it jsut for driving.
What I do is use GoHunt maps to find my spot I want to camp at I just save it to a favorites on the desktop and when i put in directions on the truck it pops up and I head out.

Baller

FNG
I have a double din head unit that is used for street navi and then a 10" tablet mounted next to it for use with OnX Hunt and OnX Offroad in my 2007 Tacoma. Works awesome...

don't have a big screen in the truck so either use an ipad mini attached via magnet or my phone will attach to same magnet via the Magview plate on my phone case

fmyth

WKR
Samsung Tab A with Gaia and Onx. I have it in a cheap all weather case and use it in my UTV w a RAM mount and in my truck.

Google maps to this point on a tablet, or just a plain old map, or OnX on my phone. My new Subaru has a Monster display and OnX looks really good on it. Looking forward to using it.

jonesn3

Lil-Rokslider
OnX only released their Apple Car Play capability about 1-2 years ago. Not sure if GoHunt has released anything yet, but last hunting season they still didn't have that capability. Last year was my first year using OnX through Apple Car play...it was great! I'm impressed how much easier navigating within out-of-state units is now with that feature. The year prior, we were changing camp locations in the middle of the night and looking down at your phone while driving dark unfamiliar roads was slow and not the greatest.

Now, I like using Google Maps for general driving navigation while referencing other apps (OnX or Gaia GPS) on a tablet or phone mounted to the dash. Sometimes Google Maps is finicky in the hunting woods, but generally gives pretty good directions most of the time. Make sure Google Maps is downloaded for offline use (the entire unit). Copy waypoint coordinates from OnX and paste into Google Maps. Sometimes, while offline without service, Google Maps won't find the route with the copied gps coordiantes. So you have to zoom out slightly and select a random point close to your intended destination. Then it should navigate relatively well. At the same time, I like use a iPad mounted to my dash with OnX if Google Maps fails, or if I want to view both maps while driving. Its convenient having OnX on the larger screen in my scenario (small F150 infotainment screen). For main driving routes on unpaved or less established roads, I usually have the route traced in OnX before leaving the house if I end up needing to follow OnX while driving.

The pictures are my setup. The second pic is obviously overkill but was a good test last year during spring bear season. The mounts are from BulletPoint. I usually run their magnetic attachment for my phone with the Magview plate on the phone case. The iPad is using their tablet clamp, unfortunately a large tablet does tend to slide down a bit if the road is bumpy but otherwise pretty solid. A smaller tablet would be better IMO.

Attachments

• Document1 Page 002.jpg
    Document1 Page 002.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 14
  • Document1 Page 001.jpg
    Document1 Page 001.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 14
Spend $1000-2000 on an aftermarket screen. Recommend at least 9” but 6-7” will do. Can run OnX and Gaia in CarPlay.

It’s going to be way cheaper than buying a new truck.