In vehicle navigation while hunting

TSAMP

WKR
What is everybody using when you're driving between spots, on and off pavement goinf to waypoints? I have a non fancy screen/navigation f150 so I usually am holding my phone running onx. It's annoying and if I'm being honest with myself it's one of the reasons I am considering a new truck, for one of those giant screens with carplay.

I started thinking on a tablet, or I see garmin has a in vehicle package. What say you experts?

Westernduck

Lil-Rokslider
Following. I’ve been thinking of putting a navigation radio in my truck but haven’t yet.

OP
TSAMP

TSAMP

WKR
I replaced the head unit in my 2008 Tundra to a CarPlay unit and use OnX. It’s awesome for driving to a parking spot in the dark, the fog, snow, etc.
Pics? Whatd you go with. I looked at these and they all look cheap

Marble

WKR
OnX popped up on my F350 also. I'm going to give it a try while out of service.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Slick8

Lil-Rokslider
To my knowledge onX is active on car play but not for droids yet.

Until then I'll continue to use Google maps one the dash / onX on my phone.

Strider

Lil-Rokslider
Best I found was Gaia on my phone. Phone velcroed to the dash. Gaia keeps your location centered on the screen and has USGS Topo map layers. Hard to beat having real time navigation on an actual topo map.

OP
TSAMP

TSAMP

WKR
Amazing what all folks need, just to get to their hunting spot these days:ROFLMAO:
I can certainly understand this, some of the best spots ive bird hunted were random spots that looked nice while driving to a waypoint on a map.

IDVortex

WKR
Amazing what all folks need, just to get to their hunting spot these days:ROFLMAO:
I know, we really should be going back to simple things like basic maps and a compass, and surveying tools too.

Everyone should always be able to read a map and compass, but if I have a choice over paper and a compass or a gps, I'm taking the gps. Especially traveling to a area ive.never been to in the dark and driving after working all day.