In case anybody was worried about land prices...

CorbLand

WKR
Agree, but I like to have something I can actually handle in my safe. Gold and sliver have been used as currency in good times and bad for thousands of years.
I understand why people like it but I personally don't see the value in it. We mine more gold and silver everyday but we haven't figured out how to create or find more land.

There are millions of ways to make money in this world. Just have to find what you like and make it happen.

ozyclint

WKR
Read: The Creature from Jekyll Island. Have a stiff drink handy.

Countries that adopt "fiat" currency (what we have now) DO NOT last. History has proven this over and over. We are on a path for a catastrophic crash landing. You don't even have to believe the conspiracy theorist slant of the book that "they" want just that. End of the day, fiat currency will be our undoing and we are seeing it unfold RIGHT NOW.
Let me guess what it gets replaced with. A govt digital currency backed by nothing that we are forced to use. No cash. Every transaction and account is traceable and controllable. One corrupt system replaced with another.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I just don't know how the big farmers, banks, and accountants make the numbers work anymore. As land prices go up input (seed, chemicals, fertilizer, machinery, etc..) costs go up and this year we have unprecedented increases in fuel, Round Up, Liberty, and nitrogen costs. How guys can pay $26k per acre when the income is a fraction of that I have no idea. Here is some quick math, and I'm pretty dumb with math, so please bear with me.
  • 100 acres * 200 bushels of corn per acre= 20,000 bushels.
  • As of May, corn was trading at $7.39 per bushel (20 year average is around $4). 20,000 * 7.39= $147,800 gross annual revenue.
  • Profit on that $147,800 is maybe $40,000?
  • $26M mortgage @ 3.92% interest over 30 years has a monthly payment of $122,932
If these guys paid cash for this ground, how in the world are the farm subsidies we all pay for to enable US farmer to compete justified?
Which is it, 2.6M or 26M? First post you said 2.6 this math you use 26M. Big difference in payments between those two

cck311

FNG
You could try northern utah. 80K gets you a seat at the little kids table. 1/3 acre lots are going 200K plus.

The mid west is next. If you have the money, I would be getting my hands on some ground now or in the near future.
Thank God I bought my Utah County house in 2017. Any later than that and I would have been fooked.

FLATHEAD

WKR
I agree with accumulating Silver and Gold. Hard to go wrong there.
And History does repeat itself. I've made my best purchases/investments
in the midst of a crash.
It's coming, to what extent and when I don't know, but it's coming.
Be ready.

Bijoukid

FNG
You mean farmers do what every big, wealthy business does? Wealthy people rarely have a lot of cash...doesn't mean they don't have money.

Subsidies only pay in the bad years? So you mean that when you have a bad year you get bailed out and when you have good years you get to keep all the profit. Seems pretty hard to lose.
CRP may be unsuitable for farming but they still get paid to not use it. Its worthless ground from a farming stand point that is turning a profit.
Doesn't matter if you buy something because you want it or its a tax write off, you own it and you still have to be able to afford it.
I dont buy the "buy at retail sell at wholesale" claim either. If it is that bad, why dont more of them quit and go do something thats actually profitable?

I love farmers. Know tons of them and even have them in my family. They all bitch and moan. They never have had a good year in 100 years of farming. They all claim they never make any money. They cry poverty from the window of a brand new pickup and I aint never seen their tears hit the leather.
Lol so you would rather have 50% of the farmers go bankrupt in a bad year rather than get bailed out with insurance. Because that's what most of the "subsidies" are.

Not going to argue on crp as I have many needs with that whole thing, I would vote to end it just as I would vote to get the gov completely out of ag and abolish the USDA.

Lots of people making payments on things, that's how farmers go bankrupt

The number of people that farm has dwindled significantly because lots of people going broke and others not being able to afford to buy out siblings shares etc. If I were to buy my parents farm lock stock and barrel I would need 5-6 million and it's one of the smallest farms in the county.

Yep keep bitching about people having a new pickups, I guess we're doing it wrong because I bet 90% of the people on this forum have nicer and newer pickups than we do.

CorbLand

WKR
Lol so you would rather have 50% of the farmers go bankrupt in a bad year rather than get bailed out with insurance. Because that's what most of the "subsidies" are.

Not going to argue on crp as I have many needs with that whole thing, I would vote to end it just as I would vote to get the gov completely out of ag and abolish the USDA.

Lots of people making payments on things, that's how farmers go bankrupt

The number of people that farm has dwindled significantly because lots of people going broke and others not being able to afford to buy out siblings shares etc. If I were to buy my parents farm lock stock and barrel I would need 5-6 million and it's one of the smallest farms in the county.

Yep keep bitching about people having a new pickups, I guess we're doing it wrong because I bet 90% of the people on this forum have nicer and newer pickups than we do.
Did I say that I want them to go bankrupt? I don’t want anyone to go bankrupt but people lose their jobs every year because of bad years. Nobody was there to bail my father in law out of his 4 million dollar concrete business in 2008.

What I want is farmers to stop acting like the world is against them and that they don’t ever make any money.

I don’t give a shit what you drive, how much money you make or really anything. I don’t blame farmers for taking advantage of any help they can get. What I do care about is that they bitch with the left hand, while the right hand is taking money. I am tired of listening to them complain about everyone else just looking for a handout. The USDA manages the largest welfare program in the US and it was designed to save farmers.

Maybe you are doing it wrong because I would bet the farmers sons I went to high school with had nicer pickups than 50% of this forum.

I can call it the way it is. It’s not bitching.

Last edited:

4BarN

FNG
Don’t forget about the private equity guys. They are in this game too investing in all types of real estate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
Did I say that I want them to go bankrupt? I don’t want anyone to go bankrupt but people lose their jobs every year because of bad years. Nobody was there to bail my father in law out of his 4 million dollar concrete business in 2008.

What I want is farmers to stop acting like the world is against them and that they don’t ever make any money.

I don’t give a shit what you drive, how much money you make or really anything. I don’t blame farmers for taking advantage of any help they can get. What I do care about is that they bitch with the left hand, while the right hand is taking money. I am tired of listening to them complain about everyone else just looking for a handout. The USDA manages the largest welfare program in the US and it was designed to save farmers.

Maybe you are doing it wrong because I would bet the farmers sons I went to high school with had nicer pickups than 50% of this forum.

PREACH!!! This right here! ☝️

tdhanses

WKR

All subsidies do is keep commodity prices low.

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
When CRP is kept to the original intent re: taking marginal and highly erodible land out of production to reduce erosion, promote wildlife, and improve water quality, it's a phenomenal program. However, when it is abused and takes productive land out of production its wrong.

With modern farming practices today, without CRP there would be very few game birds to shoot in Iowa at least. Very few fencelines remain these days and they're constantly ripping them out along the road ditches. The guys farm ditch to ditch and use PVC poles to mark boundaries in the middle of the fields. That way the wind can howl across the country without anything stopping it for miles. And all the guys that still think in 2022 you have to moldboard or disc chisel in the fall can be thanked for the topsoil loss from wind and erosion during the winter. All that dirt turns the ditches black in the winter and ends up in the creeks and rivers.

CorbLand

WKR
All subsidies do is keep commodity prices low.
Which in turn artificially inflates demand. If I could only sell 100 at 5 bucks to the consumer but can sell 150 at 2.5 to the consumer and get 2.5 from the government, I make more money.

I am not against the government helping farmers. I am not against farmers taking the help. I am against anyone that complains about someone doing something that they, themselves are doing.

tdhanses

WKR
Which in turn artificially inflates demand. If I could only sell 100 at 5 bucks to the consumer but can sell 150 at 2.5 to the consumer and get 2.5 from the government, I make more money.

I am not against the government helping farmers. I am not against farmers taking the help. I am against anyone that complains about someone doing something that they, themselves are doing.
Low commodity prices directly help consumers, subsidize farmers a little or the main population a lot, a loaf of bread should be $10 if farmers actual were paid for what crops are worth.

CorbLand

WKR
Low commodity prices directly help consumers, subsidize farmers a little or the main population a lot, a loaf of bread should be $10 if farmers actual were paid for what crops are worth.
Yes, I understand this. Without that subsidy, people would not be able to afford that bread. So subsidizing it artificially lowers the price, keeps demand high and thus producers make more money and people can afford food to eat. I am not against any of this.

I understand how subsidies work. Doesn’t change anything I have said or make any of it not true.

Last edited:

Bijoukid

FNG

I can call it the way it is. It’s not bitchin

You do realize that 75% of the farm bill has nothing to do with farming right? But I guess I'll just go sit around and collect imaginary checks that your dumbass seems to think we get in the mail weekly

CorbLand

WKR
You do realize that 75% of the farm bill has nothing to do with farming right? But I guess I'll just go sit around and collect imaginary checks that your dumbass seems to think we get in the mail weekly
I was referring to food stamps. It’s the largest welfare program in the US and it was designed to help farmers more than consumers.

Never once have I said that farmers sit around and collect checks. I have said that farming is a heavily subsidized industry and that those subsidies provide farmers with a good living, many of which are very wealthy. It bothers me that farmers are unwilling to admit this. Instead they complain about everyone else that gets subsidized by the government.

With that, I will bow my “dumbass” out of this because all you continue to do is put words in my mouth that I have not said.

Thanks. Have a good one and I hope you have a good crop this season.

Bijoukid

FNG
I was referring to food stamps. It’s the largest welfare program in the US and it was designed to help farmers more than consumers.

Never once have I said that farmers sit around and collect checks. I have said that farming is a heavily subsidized industry and that those subsidies provide farmers with a good living, many of which are very wealthy. It bothers me that farmers are unwilling to admit this. Instead they complain about everyone else that gets subsidized by the government.

With that, I will bow my “dumbass” out of this because all you continue to do is put words in my mouth that I have not said.

Thanks. Have a good one and I hope you have a good crop this season.
Snap aka food stamps doesn't help farmers and the fact that you somehow think it does just further proves my point