Impulse + buyers remorse...

Burnt Reynolds

Lil-Rokslider
Always wanted a 300wsm, then decided I wanted a nice walnut stock and blued rifle as opposed to the stainless/synthetics I own.

It's been down the list as far as priorities go but then the other day I found a brand new Browning xbolt medallion and without really thinking it through bought it. After some time with it I can say it's fantastic to look at and hold, trigger isn't too bad, balance is great, shoots great and then some. I've got a vx5hd 3-15 on it with warne rings and warne picatinny 2pc bases. All seems well enough if not great.

But, I can't help stressing over taking that rifle into the wet, rocks, timber, mountains, snow where I tend to find myself hunting.

I can care for the metal and be fine but it's the wood creating a poi change due to weather that's got me thinking.

How do I treat the wood? do nothing? Am I over thinking this?

You can apply liquid carnuba wax (for cars) inside the stock on any unsealed wood.

The wax will fill all of the nooks and crannies, displacing water. It works well on metal parts too, especially if you are going into a wet environment or storing them for a long time.

Also make sure you have enough clearance for a doubled over dollar bill (shit, you just bought an X-Bolt Medallion on a whim, you can use a folded hundred) between the stock and the barrel.

What he said. The exterior of Medallions I have had was pretty waterproof. Spray the inside with clear. Protect the metal with wax. Keep an eye on the exterior wax. It tends to get rubbed off. Wax is also a good way to cut the shine for hunting.

For what it's worth...the "Point of impact change on a wood stocked rifle in the wet" is more urban legend than reality.

Can it happen in theory? Sure. But it's unusual enough in practice that I wouldn't even worry about it if you've got a rifle you like.

For what it's worth...the "Point of impact change on a wood stocked rifle in the wet" is more urban legend than reality.

Can it happen in theory? Sure. But it's unusual enough in practice that I wouldn't even worry about it if you've got a rifle you like.

I agree with Hodgeman 100% ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

When I was growing up, all I had was wood-stocked blued rifles. Never once had any accuracy issues even in snowy sub zero temps. I did cringe over a couple gouges in the stocks though.

Okay, glad to learn I was blowing this up in my head as I kind of thought. Only wood gun I ever had was my first rifle, pump action 30-06 Remington with a scope that could be flipped to the side to use iron sights. But accuracy tests growing up consisted of shooting water jugs at random distances with an unknown mix of 06 cartridges, those were the days... killed a mountain of deer with that rifle.

Back