Choosing a new rifle. Decisions, decisions, decisions...

cpalm9

Lil-Rokslider
Looking to get a more lightweight rifle for elk and mule deer hunting in MT. I'm currently lugging around a solid wood Interarms Mark X in 7mm RM. It's a great gun but I'm planning to classify it as a hand-me-down for my son when he's old enough since it was given to me.

I've narrowed my choices down to the Springfield Redline in .308 or the Bergara Wilderness Ridge Carbon in .308 (I could be talked into a 7PRC with the Bergara but I'd shoot a 308 way more due to ammo cost and availability).

I've handled the Redline at the store and it's a sweet gun. Felt great in hand and super light. Reviews are minimal as the gun is fairly new. I've handled other Bergara's and they all seem to have great reviews.

Anyone have opinions on these? Both come in around 6lbs and 6.5lbs, respectively.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
How much is the redline?

What’s your max hunting shot?

Any reason why the .308 over other short actions they will have external ballistics closer to the 7 Rem mag?

.308 all day over the 7 Rem mag for shooting cost and ballistics inside say 450/500 yards.

OP
C

cpalm9

Lil-Rokslider
How much is the redline?

What’s your max hunting shot?

Any reason why the .308 over other short actions they will have external ballistics closer to the 7 Rem mag?

.308 all day over the 7 Rem mag for shooting cost and ballistics inside say 450/500 yards.
Redline is sitting just under 2K on GunBroker right now. The Bergara is likely around $1500, haven’t seen one on there for a bit. Both are carbon barrels. I can get the Redline in a 16” which would be neat.

I’m leaning 308 from an availability and shootability POV. I really struggled finding the 7 Mag my gun liked locally for a bit. 7PRC seemed to be readily available but it’s still pricey with only the ELDX and ELDM available locally. Not currently interested in 6.5 PRC but could be convinced.

I cap my hunting under 500 and much prefer under 300. Another reason why I think 308 is totally fine for elk and mule deer. But the flat shooting of the 7 PRC for target shooting certainly intriguing…

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I’d say 6.5 creed for ammo availability and ballistics over .308. It’s fun target shooting with it too.

I second the Seekins with that budget. Their quality and warranty is far better.

The shorty .308 sounds very cool, I would choose that for your hunting shots over a magnum. Would be fun for target shooting inside the 500 to 700 range.

Here is a 140 ELDm bullet out of a 6.5 SS at 575 yards on an elk. Caught on the offside. A 6.5 mag is as high as I would go and has more ammo. Unnecessary for your hunting ranges.

If you like the 7 prc, more ammo will hit the shelves. I love my 7 for long range, like 700 plus, but don’t hunt with it as much. Only if I know I will be needing it. It is definitely better than a 7 mag finding a good shooting bullet, IMO.

669B325C-805D-4AA1-987E-8BD672302B93.jpeg08D9298E-1D91-4F92-A042-E2E11DCE9D14.jpegB7FE5D94-0426-4616-9891-94B5E23831ED.jpeg

OneShot

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with the guys above. In that budget, I’d take a hard look at a Seekins

As far a caliber, I’m a 308 fan. It’s my go to mule deer rifle.

MThuntr

WKR
While not really competing with rifles in your budget, I'd buy 2 Tikkas (3 if you play deals and rebates) and then have all the fun....1 in 223, 1 in 6.5CM or 308, 1 with magnum bolt face.

OP
C

cpalm9

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the replies. If I went the Seekins route, it'd likely be the Element as it has the weight requirements. I'd really like a gun that's under 6.5lbs bare. The PH2 is over that.

One of the intriguing things about the Springfield Redline is the weight and how well it felt in hand. I was a big fan at the store. Plus, it's about $1000 cheaper than the Element, which might be out of my budget given I have to factor in a scope and other things.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I got a seekins element. Tikkas are great but I already have 4 of them and wanted something different.

CRJR45

WKR
Thanks for the replies. If I went the Seekins route, it'd likely be the Element as it has the weight requirements. I'd really like a gun that's under 6.5lbs bare. The PH2 is over that.

One of the intriguing things about the Springfield Redline is the weight and how well it felt in hand. I was a big fan at the store. Plus, it's about $1000 cheaper than the Element, which might be out of my budget given I have to factor in a scope and other things.
I understand what you mean about how it feels in your hand . I have a Kimber Pro Blak in .280 AI , it's a great gun and shoots lights out , but it just feels off .
BUT , thats not a reason to buy a rifle , IMO . For the $999 I spent on it , it's the best deal out there , again , just my opinion .
Saving money on buying a rifle has never worked out well for me , wait till you have more money and buy the Element .

ericacymcdonald

Lil-Rokslider
carbon barreled actions are getting cheap, I don't think I'd buy a factory rifle in the 1k+ plus price range unless it just ticked ever single box. Brownells has howa for around 800 and aero for around 1k. Buy the exact stock and trigger you want for either and you will still come in priced below your options. I think bergara even sells barreled actions and they have a 700 footprint.

OP
C

cpalm9

Lil-Rokslider
I understand what you mean about how it feels in your hand . I have a Kimber Pro Blak in .280 AI , it's a great gun and shoots lights out , but it just feels off .
BUT , thats not a reason to buy a rifle , IMO . For the $999 I spent on it , it's the best deal out there , again , just my opinion .
Saving money on buying a rifle has never worked out well for me , wait till you have more money and buy the Element .
That Kimber Pro Blak actually seems like a decent option. Plus it's crazy light. I'll have to see if I can find one locally to see how it feels and see if it fits me.

OP
C

cpalm9

Lil-Rokslider
carbon barreled actions are getting cheap, I don't think I'd buy a factory rifle in the 1k+ plus price range unless it just ticked ever single box. Brownells has howa for around 800 and aero for around 1k. Buy the exact stock and trigger you want for either and you will still come in priced below your options. I think bergara even sells barreled actions and they have a 700 footprint.
Good point. The springfield redline seems like a decent semi-custom setup. Only thing "Springfield" branded is the action. The stock is Greyboe, barrel is BSF and trigger is Triggertech.