IMO the best coffee system ever

endorice

Lil-Rokslider
The Starbucks via looks like it runs about 79 cents a cup, thats a little rich for my taste. Not sure exactly how many cups I can get out a pound of good grade coffee but I'm pretty sure it's a fair amount more affordable than that.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

What's affordable about hunting? ;-)

Buy the Via at Costco in bulk.

Great thread. Always amazing how much conversation a coffee thread generates. I love a good cup and don’t mind the effort....at home.

I want to like some of these coffee making systems described here, but the truth is I’m completely about convenience in the backcountry. I drink one cup of coffee with breakfast and I’m outside to go hunt. If cleanup involves anything more than rinsing my cup with a couple ounces of clear water, it’s too much hassle for me. So of course I discovered VIA when it first came out and it’s still what I prefer to take. I can take 2+ weeks worth of coffee packets in a small plastic sandwich baggie. Fast coffee and it’s good, if not gourmet. My oatmeal isn’t gourmet either though. No used coffee bags, filters or grinds to deal with....which is extremely important to me. I’m a fanatical ‘leave nothing behind’ guy and I carry out 100% of my trash, uneaten food, etc. I guess the only thing that’ll ever get me away from VIA will be something as convenient and even tastier. But I don’t anticipate that anytime soon.

OP
Whitetoptom

Whitetoptom

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you guys for all the conversation on this thread. It's been great to hear about all the different options out there. I'll give the via a chance but I plan on sticking with my present system that I talked about in my original post. The little filter and and sack of ground will keep me going for days. My breaks by myself or with friends have included this little system for so long now that I couldn't see not doing it any more. I love coffee and the circumstance that surrounds enjoying a good cup with close friends or in those special places. On a recent weekend camping/gear test trip me and a couple friends rolled into an Appalachian trail shelter in the middle of a pouring rain storm. As we whipped out the stoves and made a cup we found ourselves in the middle of a big wave of AT thru hikers. We had plenty of ground coffee and two of the gsi filters and in the matter of thirty minutes or so we had made probably twenty cups of coffee for this crew. We were all there for very different reasons but a hot cup of coffee gave us something good to connect over. Find the things we have in common and celebrate those and forget the things we disagree on.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk