iMessage Satellite coming this fall

My PLB expired a couple of years ago. I never got around to replacing it with a Garmin or other device. I hunt 100% solo. I also don’t have a wife or SO. Still alive. I don’t really see the need to communicate with anyone while I’m hunting.

Just wait until cell service runs 100% on satellites. I guarantee there will be dudes on glassing knobs taking work calls or “checking in with the boss” (wife).

🤮🤮🤮

Split toe

WKR
My PLB expired a couple of years ago. I never got around to replacing it with a Garmin or other device. I hunt 100% solo. I also don’t have a wife or SO. Still alive. I don’t really see the need to communicate with anyone while I’m hunting.

Just wait until cell service runs 100% on satellites. I guarantee there will be dudes on glassing knobs taking work calls or “checking in with the boss” (wife).

🤮🤮🤮
Oh yeah, it is coming!

ben h

WKR
I downloaded the beta iOS 18.0 yesterday to try this feature out. I put my phone in airplane mode to try and force it to use satelite for messaging and I couldn't send messages, but I did happen to receive some while in airplane mode and not connected to wifi. Anyone else tried sat messaging sucessfully yet?...Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
A phone, a camera, a full featured gps and now satellite coms- who would have thought!

I knew this feature was coming soon, but expected a cost associated to it—something along the old lines of paying for texts or minutes. If this is truly free that would be pretty sweet indeed :)

Crghss

Lil-Rokslider
from Macrumors

Apple has said it eventually plans to charge for satellite services, but no pricing has been unveiled. The iPhone 15 models also came with two free years of satellite access.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
from Macrumors

Apple has said it eventually plans to charge for satellite services, but no pricing has been unveiled. The iPhone 15 models also came with two free years of satellite access.

Makes sense; satellite access isn’t cheap.

If it’s a pay as use it (reasonably priced) that would be fine by me. Some months I use my inReach a lot, others maybe a time or two.

Beendare

WKR
I think about ingenious companies like inReach and Zoleo- great product…but essentially gone in 10 years- a flash in the pan due to evolving tech.

ThorM465

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
AST Spacemobile is in the process of launching satellites into a constellation that will be able to provide 5G to standard cell phones. We're potentially months away from this being obsolete. Likely 2-3 years.

They've teamed with AT&T and Verizon. The way this looks like it will work is that it will replace cell towers in lightly populated areas and should be part of a standard cell phone coverage plan.

Well inreach is made by Garmin, I don’t think they’ll be going out of business anytime soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flyjunky

WKR
Dumb question but it wasn’t covered specifically…will this work if both phones are using the satellites. In other words, one doesn’t have to have cell service….two guys out hunting can send messages back and forth while being out of service?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ that’s the way inReach (and other sat devices) work-sat to sat; but should also work sat to cell or cell to sat

Crghss

Lil-Rokslider
AST Spacemobile is in the process of launching satellites into a constellation that will be able to provide 5G to standard cell phones. We're potentially months away from this being obsolete. Likely 2-3 years.

They've teamed with AT&T and Verizon. The way this looks like it will work is that it will replace cell towers in lightly populated areas and should be part of a standard cell phone coverage plan.
For anyone in southeast that’s used DirectTV not sure this will work all that well. But maybe they’ve resolved reception issues during heavy storms.