If you were just starting out what pack would you buy?

SG 5900 for me, carried multiple animals over long rough hikes. not one issue or problem. no discomfort or marks on me either. my last pack out was about 4 miles 114 lbs. I'm 6'3 215. my bro in law didn't like the sg as much went back to exo but he's built different than me.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Exo K4 3600. It is the pack I currently use most.

I have owned a K2-->upgraded to K3-->was unhappy with K3 but had sold my K2-->got a Seek Outside and liked it enough to get a second-->then K4 was it released and I decided to try that. The K4 is about 2 pounds heavier than the SO, but it is the K4 I grab when heading out.

kayoh

FNG
I'm planning on going with an exo K4 5000,I'm trying to figure out how to get a discount. It seems like their only sale is black Friday but I missed it because they were out of small hip belts.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

BigNate

Lil-Rokslider
So much depends on how/where/what time of year.

I still use a Tenzing daypack for scouting. It's enough for the purpose, but as soon as weather becomes unpredictable and game meat will weigh too much to carry without a frame it's a poor choice.

Late season we carry so much more clothes and rain gear that a small bag won't cut it. My choice is now a MR Beartooth 80, while my son is using an EXO. I added belt pockets. And pockets that sit high on the bag. I didn't care for the lack of pockets on the EXO.

If you are hunting small plots, have motorized access, etc. You may have no use for a bigger pack.

prm

WKR
I would read what each manufacturer says, narrow it down to a handful that met my budget, size, organization, etc. Then read a large variety of tests to see if I could eliminate any. Then, purchase or test the top two or three to see which felt the best.

For backcountry hunts, the pack and boots need to be workable. Everything else can be managed.

cowdisciple

Lil-Rokslider
I still like my SeekOutside frame pack. It's versatile as a hauler, and great for odd items because you can use it as just a pack board, or strap something on between the bag and the frame (game bags, wet packraft, etc).

The downside is that it's a little more fussy in transitions to get everything tensioned right. If you live in a place where it's reasonable to try a bunch of the recommendations in this thread, that would be the best way to do it.

I’d stay away from the alps and Akek if you were only looking for a one pack do all.

Any of the major brands will work and work well. It isn’t the mystery it’s made to be to find a comfortable pack. Unless you are built weird. And, if you can wear off the shelf clothing then you fit in the category that can make any decent pack work well.

Most of the complaints about certain packs is improper fit. Not my body type doesn’t work for that brand. Look at pics on this site for that verification.

Some of the MR packs use the hunting frames but aren't included in the hunting line - they're therefore cheaper. The name is escaping me but they're in the 45L/50L range - so not enormous

Laramie

WKR
Broom stick with a pillow case.

kidding aside, If you are just starting out you won't appreciate much of what modern packs have to offer and most will work great for you. As others have mentioned, buy used until you figure out what you like.

Thankfully, I love my budget pack better than most expensive ones.

OP
G

GhostBass25

Lil-Rokslider
Broom stick with a pillow case.

kidding aside, If you are just starting out you won't appreciate much of what modern packs have to offer and most will work great for you. As others have mentioned, buy used until you figure out what you like.

Thankfully, I love my budget pack better than most expensive ones.

What is this budget pack you’re using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Laramie

WKR
What is this budget pack you’re using?

It's an Eberlestock that I got on clearance. Technically it's a day pack but I have carried up to 130lbs on it. Easily carries an elk quarter plus.

But serially, need to try out packs before you figure out what you like. I went through a few my friends loved that I didn't before I found my fit.

You mentioned Alps.
Sign up for email with them and they give a discount code. Maybe it will be enough for you to try the Elite pack system. 3800 would be nice vs the smaller 1800 bag they offer.
There is a 2 part video of pack reviews for 2023 here somewhere.

Usmcff

WKR
It’s a very subjective question. What’s your price range? Are you a buy once cry once person? How is your ocd level because this will play a part as well. I have a high ocd level when it comes to organization so I need packs with more pockets or ways to organize my gear. Body type will play into effect too. I’ve used mystery ranch (beartooth and metcalf), outdoorsmans, and exo. My favorite are outdoorsmans and exo. Outdoorsmans packs meat and weight super comfortable to me. Exo was even more comfortable but cost twice as much. The outdoorsmans has quite a few extra useful features as well, built in cut out for shooting off of, posts to hang your rifle off of, built in rifle carrier, etc. but the exo has better pocket layout and spots designed for specific items such as stretch pocket for puffy, designated spotter pocket, and tripod area. As said it all comes back to preference.

Ghostbass I’ve seen several of your other posts about being a newbie and looking for advice. Here’s some general advice about packs.I started out kind of like you in that my dad did not teach me how to fish or hunt. We all start out ignorant, so just pay attention and use your bullshit detector. i’m 65 years old and have been fishing since I was a teenager, and hunting since I was 30. Spend a few months reading this forum and other forums, before you buy any gear or even decide on what type of hunting you’re going to do. You have plenty of time.

A pack that’s big enough for a 3 to 5 day backpacking trip, can also cinch down tight enough to be a day pack. My favorite for this is the mystery ranch Metcalf. don’t obsess about buying the lightest pack. Mystery ranch packs are a little heavier than some, but they have a wonderful suspension system, which means you don’t really notice a couple extra pounds. The extra weight is devoted to strong fabric and heavy stitching, so mystery ranch packs are pretty bulletproof. I don’t own stock or have any financial interest in mystery ranch, I just really like their stuff.

Look for a pack, that is simple, and well-built without a lot of gimmicks. Here are the must-have features for me.

solid, sturdy, suspension capable of carrying 100 pounds for a long time. You don’t want to carry 100 pounds for a long time, but you want your pack to be capable of it.

4300 in.³, (70 L. )

main bag has straps, which allow constriction or expansion of the bag. This is how you take it from a three day bivy pack, to a day pack.

expandable meat shelf area between the pack frame and bag. An expandable meat shelf area between the pack frame and bag. This is where you carry your kill for pack out, it’s really dense and heavy, and needs to be close to the frame.

Lots of adjustable cargo straps on the outside of the pack. when your main compartment gets full, you can make a long skinny roll out of your tent, ground cloth, sleeping bag, or other stuff that has a lot of fabric. Then you can strap this role to the outside of your pack. Not to be confusing, you probably can’t get all of that stuff in one roll, too much bulk. Make sure it’s waterproof.

Enough outside storage pockets for gloves, hat, toilet paper, fire starting equipment, moleskin, chapstick, and all the other little odds and ends. You might need to access right away, but don’t want to carry in your pockets or dig through your pack.

get to the store and try on different packs. Buy a used one if you can find it.

experience has taught me that a medium size pack will encourage me to be very careful about what I pack because I only have so much room. The medium size pack with a good suspension makes a good day pack. It will allow me to carry 20 to 30 pounds of gear and a rifle literally all day long and hardly even notice it’s there. When I do harvest, I can carry 30 to 50 pounds of meat, plus all my day gear. A really large pack will encourage you to carry a bunch of shit you don’t need. a small day pack without a suspension Will be uncomfortable just carrying 20 to 25 pounds, and will be useless in trying to pack out a deer.

I had one of those Alps outdoors frame packs. It was meh…OK for the money, but nowhere near the quality or comfort of the Metcalf. In other words, I now consider it a waste of money.

bmart2622

WKR
SG, Exo, Kifaru. Find which bag you like the best and order one with the correct frame and try it, all 3 I believe have a 30 day return policy.

OP
G

GhostBass25

Lil-Rokslider
Ghostbass I’ve seen several of your other posts about being a newbie and looking for advice. Here’s some general advice about packs.I started out kind of like you in that my dad did not teach me how to fish or hunt. We all start out ignorant, so just pay attention and use your bullshit detector. i’m 65 years old and have been fishing since I was a teenager, and hunting since I was 30. Spend a few months reading this forum and other forums, before you buy any gear or even decide on what type of hunting you’re going to do. You have plenty of time.

A pack that’s big enough for a 3 to 5 day backpacking trip, can also cinch down tight enough to be a day pack. My favorite for this is the mystery ranch Metcalf. don’t obsess about buying the lightest pack. Mystery ranch packs are a little heavier than some, but they have a wonderful suspension system, which means you don’t really notice a couple extra pounds. The extra weight is devoted to strong fabric and heavy stitching, so mystery ranch packs are pretty bulletproof. I don’t own stock or have any financial interest in mystery ranch, I just really like their stuff.

Look for a pack, that is simple, and well-built without a lot of gimmicks. Here are the must-have features for me.

solid, sturdy, suspension capable of carrying 100 pounds for a long time. You don’t want to carry 100 pounds for a long time, but you want your pack to be capable of it.

4300 in.³, (70 L. )

main bag has straps, which allow constriction or expansion of the bag. This is how you take it from a three day bivy pack, to a day pack.

expandable meat shelf area between the pack frame and bag. An expandable meat shelf area between the pack frame and bag. This is where you carry your kill for pack out, it’s really dense and heavy, and needs to be close to the frame.

Lots of adjustable cargo straps on the outside of the pack. when your main compartment gets full, you can make a long skinny roll out of your tent, ground cloth, sleeping bag, or other stuff that has a lot of fabric. Then you can strap this role to the outside of your pack. Not to be confusing, you probably can’t get all of that stuff in one roll, too much bulk. Make sure it’s waterproof.

Enough outside storage pockets for gloves, hat, toilet paper, fire starting equipment, moleskin, chapstick, and all the other little odds and ends. You might need to access right away, but don’t want to carry in your pockets or dig through your pack.

get to the store and try on different packs. Buy a used one if you can find it.

experience has taught me that a medium size pack will encourage me to be very careful about what I pack because I only have so much room. The medium size pack with a good suspension makes a good day pack. It will allow me to carry 20 to 30 pounds of gear and a rifle literally all day long and hardly even notice it’s there. When I do harvest, I can carry 30 to 50 pounds of meat, plus all my day gear. A really large pack will encourage you to carry a bunch of shit you don’t need. a small day pack without a suspension Will be uncomfortable just carrying 20 to 25 pounds, and will be useless in trying to pack out a deer.

Thank you man. Good info here