If you wanted a big elk?

WCB

WKR
You can call Black Mountain Outfitters in NM. I think guided NM landowner voucher is the ticket. May be unit wide or private land only so make sure that is clear.
Absolute last place I would spend money on an elk hunt. They have shot too many elk off their properties and a 325 with them is probably upper limit year to year. Not that guys don't kill a few big bulls with them but it would be very interesting to see EVERY bull killed by their clients because I have first had knowledge of multiple people that have hunted with them that never saw a 320 bull but did see some 300" or less bulls laying around from previous clients.

Wapiti1

WKR
My buddy Brian Campbell has a second season tag for sale for 7500 guided, decent shot at 325 or better bull. Cody coles has a mount Emily outfitters tag for sale that 325 is very doable on, better is the expectation, Waller Powell no tellum guide service has options to for 1/3 your budget. 325 isn’t that giant of a bull.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's the kind of info that is hard for folks to get at. Sadly, lots of overhyping has made anyone that says, expect xxx size animals, not that trustworthy. For those researching, who's full or it, and who's not?

Jeremy

S-3 ranch

WKR
That's the kind of info that is hard for folks to get at. Sadly, lots of overhyping has made anyone that says, expect xxx size animals, not that trustworthy. For those researching, who's full or it, and who's not?

Jeremy
Every one that calls the ranch here in Texas, expects a high fence 170+ whitetail, hunting is getting sadder by the year
300 elk considered a $20,000 trophy
4/5th curl rams $50,000-80,000 in Alaska and BC

the cost goes up and the acceptable go down

Wapiti1

WKR
Every one that calls the ranch here in Texas, expects a high fence 170+ whitetail, hunting is getting sadder by the year
300 elk considered a $20,000 trophy
4/5th curl rams $50,000-80,000 in Alaska and BC

the cost goes up and the acceptable go down
I have a few folks that I'll call and trust their info. Took some weeding to get there.

Jeremy

JakeSCH

WKR
You can call Black Mountain Outfitters in NM. I think guided NM landowner voucher is the ticket. May be unit wide or private land only so make sure that is clear.

+1 my buddy has gone there for cow elk a few times and raves about them. He is itching to do the bull hunts, I think he told me they have a 320" min for talking bulls in that 10k to 12k price range.

Seamaster

Lil-Rokslider
I'm curious how a Wyoming outfitter even renowned Wagonhound will "help a fellow find and buy a license" for $20,000. (not that I'm in the market for a $$$$ elk tag). LO tags are not transferable. Even with a party app everyone better have a lot of points to draw in Area 7. The Wagonhound website says you better have 13+ points to get a Type 1 tag and book a hunt. No mention of a tag finding fee.

$20k won't even sniff a Wyoming Governor's Auction tag.

I just assumed when someone wanted to buy a trophy elk tag they went to the tribes in AZ or Ted Turner in NM.
It is called a Commissioner’s License, they are donated to various non-profits and then either sold or raffled. Somewhere around $20,000 is the going price. I would imagine you could find the details of how to buy one with a google search.

LostArra

WKR
It is called a Commissioner’s License, they are donated to various non-profits and then either sold or raffled. Somewhere around $20,000 is the going price. I would imagine you could find the details of how to buy one with a google search.
That's interesting. Even more interesting that WOGA gets some of those tags. Are they "non profit"?

ShakeDown

WKR
Absolute last place I would spend money on an elk hunt. They have shot too many elk off their properties and a 325 with them is probably upper limit year to year. Not that guys don't kill a few big bulls with them but it would be very interesting to see EVERY bull killed by their clients because I have first had knowledge of multiple people that have hunted with them that never saw a 320 bull but did see some 300" or less bulls laying around from previous clients.
No argument here, I have never nor will ever hunt with BMO and have no clue on their inventory. I do know they have a pretty good rep and the unit/property has a really good rep. They have access to one of the biggest, most productive ranches in NM, and also have unit wide LO tags.

I did chuckle at “I have first hand knowledge of multiple people…”

You have second hand knowledge. I guess you do have first hand knowledge that other people have first hand knowledge?

I do have first hand knowledge, as in a digiscope video, of a 360+ bull walking around unit 12. TIFWIW.

OP
S

Scottf270

WKR
Thanks to all who have replied. I have read every reply multiple times and looked at every website suggested. Looks like some good options.

I do agree that a lot of deer and elk posted on the net by hunters and outfitters simply don't measure up. I admit picture angles and distance tricks abound. I think it's becoming acceptable for both parties to "fib" a little as it makes both parties look and feel better.

I don't know elk like I do deer, but I see a lot of 140 to 150 mule deer being passed off as 170's and costing 5 to 9 thousand dollars. I know your not buying an animal, but some guys are being taken. To an eastern hunter, a 150 muley looks huge.

I know in the end, you make a choice and go hunt.

WRO

WKR

Jeremy
None of those are guaranteed.

It's have to be an all or nothing hunt on those with strict rules about not shooting a bull that didn't meet expectations.

If you had to shoot a 330 or better bull, Pueblo of the Acoma is roughly 15K and that should be very doable there. If you can get a Mandalay gap tag on the white mountain (it's there cheaper hunt) it's doable there. Mescelero has that caliber bulls for 15K

Wapiti1

WKR
None of those are guaranteed.

It's have to be an all or nothing hunt on those with strict rules about not shooting a bull that didn't meet expectations.

If you had to shoot a 330 or better bull, Pueblo of the Acoma is roughly 15K and that should be very doable there. If you can get a Mandalay gap tag on the white mountain (it's there cheaper hunt) it's doable there. Mescelero has that caliber bulls for 15K
I wasn't implying that they were canned hunts. If my comments came across that way, that isn't where I was going. I was more thanking you for sharing what is better quality information that takes some digging to get to.
Obviously, if it a quality fair chase hunt, guidelines can be given, but guarantees aren't in the cards.

Jeremy

WRO

WKR
I wasn't implying that they were canned hunts. If my comments came across that way, that isn't where I was going. I was more thanking you for sharing what is better quality information that takes some digging to get to.
Obviously, if it a quality fair chase hunt, guidelines can be given, but guarantees aren't in the cards.

Jeremy

Reservation hunts are fair chase, but they’ve got their own set of rules.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lytro

WKR
Mescalero Apache Tribal hunts in NM might be worth looking into within that budget.