If you wanted a big elk?

Scottf270

WKR
If you wanted to hunt for a big bull, 325 inch plus, and had to use a guide, and the budget was $20,000, tag or voucher included, who would you hunt with? State doesn't matter. No fenced hunts.
Vermejo, Hill Ranch, etc?
Basically your dream elk hunt if you had to go guided and needed the tag or voucher included..............

Last edited:

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
Flying d in montana. I think they are around 15k.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Pretty long waiting list for the Flying D. I've been on it for 2 yrs now and prob have 2 more to go

OP, check out the Express UU Bar Ranch in New Mexico. Im sure there are plenty more down there like it.

Jon Boy

WKR
Pretty long waiting list for the Flying D. I've been on it for 2 yrs now and prob have 2 more to go

OP, check out the Express UU Bar Ranch in New Mexico. Im sure there are plenty more down there like it.
I dont doubt that! Only place I could think of off the top of my head thats a general tag and has the closest thing to a guarantee for a 325 or better bull. Lots of places in central eastern mt that would take you years to draw a tag. CA and Marlboro ranches only cater to there friends. Can't think of much else

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

If you wanted to hunt for a big bull, 325 inch plus, and had to use a guide, and the budget was $20,000, tag or voucher included, who would you hunt with? State doesn't matter. No fenced hunts.
Vermejo, Hill Ranch, etc?
Basically your dream elk hunt if you had to go guided and needed the tag or voucher included..............
Why do you have to go guided?

OP
S

Scottf270

WKR
I don't know if I "have" to go guided but at this point in my life, it may make sense. Only hunted elk 1 time on a crop damage voucher tag in New Mexico. Took a small 5x5.

I am 62 and of average means, but have managed to hunt Kodiak bear once and A-Y moose 4 times, twice unguided. I hunt Montana for deer and antelope every year I get a tag.

Elk was an animal I never really got excited about. After retiring and a second bout of cancer, which is taken care of we hope, I want a nice bull. I don't have more money than time but I don't want to flounder around with limited knowledge on public ground on an OTC tag.

Poor planning on my part leaves me with no elk points and time is moving along. I am open to buying a landowner tag or voucher but want to maximize the tag.

I hope this doesn't sound like trying to buy an elk. It's not. But I do want to experience a world class bugling elk hunt once in my life. Thanks to all who have replied.

ShakeDown

WKR
You can call Black Mountain Outfitters in NM. I think guided NM landowner voucher is the ticket. May be unit wide or private land only so make sure that is clear.

OP said 325”, which is not a top end tier imo. So doesn’t need the super expensive options.

Most landowner options would get into a 325” bull, even in Colorado. Look at the RFW list and they all sell vouchers to paying clients. Just like Utah CWMU. I have no experience with New Mexico.