If you never shot over 600 yards?

Fish2keel

FNG
My understanding of the SAW is that it doesn't increase capacity at all vs a straight 7-08 so any velocity increases are in effect just pressure increases. And you cant shoot factory 7/08 ammo in one.
So you can get the same velocity from a straight 7-08? That changes alot if true

So you can get the same velocity from a straight 7-08? That changes alot if true

You can get quite a bit more velocity out of a 7 SAW. That’s the whole point of the cartridge. Ira just mostly coming from higher pressures, not increased powder capacity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven’t messed with either but at the same pressures and depending on throat spec, 7-08 SHOULD go at least as fast at same pressures.

The question is does the SAW case hide pressure signs enough better to allow higher velocities prior to seeing said pressure signs? Seems to be a fair number of peoples saying the answer is yes.

I’m seriously considering switching from 7prc to a 6creed for an do it all hunting rifle After seeing how wind affects my shots at distances I’ve pretty much decided 500 yards will be my max range while hunting.

I’m seriously considering switching from 7prc to a 6creed for an do it all hunting rifle After seeing how wind affects my shots at distances I’ve pretty much decided 500 yards will be my max range while hunting.
I’m pretty sure .284 bullets provides the overall highest BC and offer the best wind deflection characteristics in heavy for caliber loadings when compared to nearly anything else.

Not implying shooting 6CM is a poor decision, only recognizing you are compromising better wind deflection provided by 7mm bullets. The reality is it takes an excellent marksman to notice the difference, and most of us, myself included, would benefit more from an easily shootable cartridge than technically superior specifications.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I’m pretty sure .284 bullets provides the overall highest BC and offer the best wind deflection characteristics in heavy for caliber loadings when compared to nearly anything else.

Not implying shooting 6CM is a poor decision, only recognizing you are compromising better wind deflection provided by 7mm bullets. The reality is it takes an excellent marksman to notice the difference, and most of us, myself included, would benefit more from an easily shootable cartridge than technically superior specifications.
This is a very good point. I'm not ready to get rid of my 7 PRC, but for sure working on a more shootable 6mm for hunting platform (and 5.56 for more practice).

great point. I run my 7prc suppressed which helps with recoil, but I would be lying if I said I don’t flinch every now and then. So combining recoil and not wanting to shoot past 500 yards is what’s leading me down the road of a more manageable cartridge. I’m also considering 6.5 prc.

great point. I run my 7prc suppressed which helps with recoil, but I would be lying if I said I don’t flinch every now and then. So combining recoil and not wanting to shoot past 500 yards is what’s leading me down the road of a more manageable cartridge. I’m also considering 6.5 prc.
No judgement here, I shot 300WM for two decades and love that cartridge, always will. You want to know who’s shooting a 6.5PRC and 6.5CM this season? This guy 🤣

Nothing wrong with making purposeful changes 👍

sharps54

FNG
I think 6 CM would work fine. I went 6.5 CM because of factory ammo availability. If I got back into hand loading I would be tempted to go 240 Weatherby for the speed and because it’s a ridiculous cartridge with its unneeded belt but aside from being way flatter shooting it doesn’t have any real advantage over the 6 CM and it has a bunch of negatives.

Virginia doesn’t allow .22 centerfires otherwise I’d do a fast twisted .220 Swift for the same reason as the ‘bee.

Since most of my shooting is really 300 and in I’m actually tempted by the 6.5 Grendel, that may be my old man gun. but am sticking with the 6.5 CM for now.

Jt89

FNG
A .308 tikka with a barrel length of 18" or less does (ballistic wise) just fine to 600. The shooter (me) could do with another few thousand rounds of practice at building positions quickly and reading wind.

Attachments

• 20231028110133_IMG_4934.jpg
    20231028110133_IMG_4934.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 44
This is a very good point. I'm not ready to get rid of my 7 PRC, but for sure working on a more shootable 6mm for hunting platform (and 5.56 for more practice).

I’d consider a 7mm-08 as well for your application. The 160s class bullets are impressive on paper and on game. Shootable, and available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jt89

FNG
That looks about like the angle you’d have to hold for a 600 yard shot with an 18” .308 hahaha.
The main firing line is on the valley floor of a steep... How do you Americans call it? Drainage. We call it a gully or a gut. I believe in this shot I was lining up on a 12" plate at 600 yards, can't remember. Anyway, targets beyond 60 yards begin to incline and go all the way to 800. Follow the line of the pine trees in this one all the way to the skyline, that's about where the 800 plate is. Wind is very weird and shifty, there's a flag at about 350 that is not to be trusted for longer shots.

When questioned why the owner set his range up like this, he responded "Ever shot a Tahr? they're always uphill."

Attachments

• 20231028100603_IMG_4921.JPG
    20231028100603_IMG_4921.JPG
    359.1 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
The main firing line is on the valley floor of a steep... How do you Americans call it? Drainage. We call it a gully or a gut. I believe in this shot I was lining up on a 12" plate at 600 yards, can't remember. Anyway, targets beyond 60 yards begin to incline and go all the way to 800. Follow the line of the pine trees in this one all the way to the skyline, that's about where the 800 plate is. Wind is very weird and shifty, there's a flag at about 350 that is not to be trusted for longer shots.

When questioned why the owner set his range up like this, he responded "Ever shot a Tahr? they're always uphill."
Oh for sure man. I’m of course just kidding, but thought it was a funny joke that fit the picture well lol

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
It sure does haha there's a lot of jokes on the range about .308 shooters, usually from the Creedmoor guys 😁
Hahaha of course they would!!! Thinking they’re superior with their more aerodynamic bullets and less recoil. Peasants hahaha.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Ehhh.... What can I say man, deep inside every .308 owner is a guy who knows he should have bought a 6.5Creed or a .223, but is probably too tight-fisted to buy another rifle.
I’ll shoot my light weight 6.5cm’s at game, but bury me with my .308’s