If you could only have two pants...

topher89

WKR
SG DeHavilland Lites for the early season and the regular DeHavillands for late season. You could select the M7s for late season if it’s really cold/wet.

First Lite corrugate foundry all year. Vents for early season, base layers for late season.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use just two hunting pants, early- Sitka Ascents (base layers if needed), later- Sitka Timberline (adjust base layers as needed).

I also use the Ascents backpacking in the "summer/spring".

Gutshotem

WKR
Early/mid - Cabela's Microtex or Microtex Lite

Late - Sitka Timberline

Wish Sitka would put hip vents in the Timberlines though.

Kuiu Kutana - Early/Mid season
Kuiu Attack - Mid/Late season

I normally carry a zip-off merino or synthetic bottom baselayer in my backpack. This gives me alot of flexibility if the weather changes throughout the day without being "stuck" wearing too heavy or overly warm pants.
this is a great combo. The problem with the KUIU katana is no option for knee pads. Its nice during early season archery to put in knee pads on a stalk.

FNG
Early season: Kryptek Alaios
Kryptek Alaios early to mid, Sitka Mountain with merino late
I agree Kryptek Alaios early to mid. Can wear a merino baselayer under them down to a pretty low temp. I like the Badlands Calor if it is really cold out even though they are heavier pants.

OP
E

etapia

Lil-Rokslider
this is a great combo. The problem with the KUIU katana is no option for knee pads. Its nice during early season archery to put in knee pads on a stalk.
Based on the responses, it sounds like the perfect early season option would be kutana’s with knee pads or ascents with hip vents. Whichever comes out first will have my money.

Honestly, I don't find myself needing knee pads when I'm hunting with the exception of the occasional antelope hunt. If I need kneepads I put on the external army surplus ones I bought from Sportsmans Guide carry them in the back.

Acsent or Stone Glacier DHL pants for early.

KUIU attack or sitka mountain pant for mid to late.

Funny, I love the attacks since 34, but the Kutana pants in 34 fit my legs but the waist is to loose. The 32's don't fit my thighs.
SG re-designed the DH lite pants to have the same bottom/pant opening as the new 206 pant. This will cut down on a lot of the shwooshy sound as it will be more like an ascent pant fit my guess.

With that being said I think I will order another pair. I will say they were overall best pants. Little on heavy side for early season and little loud, but man the large hip vents and internal belt was flat out awesome. They are tough as nails as well. What great is if you us them in colder temps or just have a cold morning you can use zip off long johns and zip open the long johns right through the large hip zip vents. works great when you gotta quick hike to a different spot just open both pants and long johns to the skin.

OutdoorsMD

Lil-Rokslider
For hunting I agree the kuiu kutana and sitka timberline. I think one underrated advantage of the kutana is that they dry fast which is big advantage if you are backpacking. My favorite non hunting pants are still the attack pants.

Not to hijack this thread, but the KUIU Kutana are on sale at the moment. Can anyone comment to their noise level?

Early season:
- the original Prana Stretch Zion pant (best pant every made)

Late season:
- Kuiu Attack Pro

Smallie

Lil-Rokslider
SKRE Uinta for early season and SKRE Hardscrabble for mid-late with warmer baselayers underneath

Eddie Bauer guide pants. I run both early and late season. I run hot but if it’s super cold I’ll throw on a base layer in the late season.

trailblazer75

Lil-Rokslider
I'd have a pair Kuiu Attacks in loden green and a pair of born primitive pants in coyote tan.

Doesn't say anything about adding a base layer.