If you could only have 1 rimfire rifle

FB Trout

Lil-Rokslider
The CZ 452 American is awesome, accurate and classic and I love mine , but the Tikka is my go to. Mine is set up with a TBAC 22 Takedown, Sportsmatch T035 rings, and a SWFA 6x and 16” barrel. My sons shoot high school rodeo locally and the national champions for both junior high and high school this last year, 2 sisters, shoot Tikkas in KRG Bravo stocks. They are extremely precise and accurate.

I have a stainless Bmag 17 WSM that I picked up last year that I’m fond of. I know the 22 LR is the legacy choice, but the 17 is a lot of fun.

I picked one of these up a couple years ago and bedded it in a Boyd’s thumb hole stock. It’s a great shooting gun, and stones foxes and coyotes 150 and in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheGDog

WKR
the cost of ammo for the .17HMR and .17WSM is a deal breaker for me.

since this is an 'only one rimfire' thread .22lr is it for me. ammo is cheap and available anywhere (think about that for times like now), quiet and been killing stuff since the beginning of time. plus the OP only wants to shoot out to 100 yards which is fine with .22lr.

there is a multitude of centerfires that can be used in place of the .17 rimfires and reloaded for the same cost or less.
Re: the slightly higher cost of .17hmr vs .22lr... but w .17 ... you KNOW that first shot should always do it as long as you do your job. So no frustrating wasting of ammo when shooting at usable fringe of Copper-22's... which is like 75yds in my CZ 452 American Scout Youth Compact.

Only time .17 frustrates is stronger winds.

Klransom

FNG
I would say 22LR, mostly for how fun it is to shoot suppressed especially with subsonic ammo. Which rifle I would say any good bolt action for the same reason. I have a Christensen Arms Ranger and the Springfield Armory 2020 the Ranger is nice to carry around because of how light it is the 2020 has a much smoother action and lately has been my go to for just plinking.

ozyclint

WKR
Re: the slightly higher cost of .17hmr vs .22lr... but w .17 ... you KNOW that first shot should always do it as long as you do your job. So no frustrating wasting of ammo when shooting at usable fringe of Copper-22's... which is like 75yds in my CZ 452 American Scout Youth Compact.

Only time .17 frustrates is stronger winds.
Here in Australia, (outside America) .17hmr is twice the price of .22lr.

Volume rabbit shooting adds up to a lot of first shots.

chucko

FNG
Mossberg Chuckster 22 mag mine was built in 1963 it cost me $63 I was born in 1963 and my name is Chuck most accurate gun I own topped with a 3-9 Leupold I bought it when I barely had $63 it has filled my freezer with grouse ptarmigan amd rabbits for 40 years

TaperPin

WKR
I don’t think anyone should be without a 22 lr, but if it is strictly a hunting rifle that 17 is flat shooting and has a lot of smack. I resisted it, but it’s a no brainer when your hunting buddy is laying out twice as many prairie dogs as you are.

mbania

FNG
17HMR for the win, as noted above its hard to beat for a rimfire. While the tried and true 22LR will always be a favorite as well.

B23

WKR
17HMR for the win
Until Winchester gets their act together and starts consistently making 17 WSM ammo and decides they actually want the 17 WSM to be something more then just a really capable rimfire cartridge we use to talk about once upon a time I'd have to agree, 17 HMR for the win.

Winchester has anything beat I've ever seen. They come out with numerous really good WSM cartridges, including the rimfire 17 WSM, then offer little or with regard to the 17 WSM no support in the way of ammunition. In the rimfire realm the 17 WSM reigns King and does everything bigger and better then any other rimfire but it's pretty much a useless cartridge if the friggen maker doesn't want to produce any ammo for it.

I have no regrets buying a 17 WSM my only regret is instead of buying a wheelbarrow of 17 WSM ammo I didn't buy a truck load of it. :(