If you could only give one piece of advice to a new elk hunter, what would it be?

If you happen to shoot a BOAL near dark (Bull of a Lifetime), make sure and return to camp for a good nights rest before taking care of it. We will need another BOAL thread for entertainment purposes in 2023. That is if the original thread isn’t still going.

OP
A

AllDayAT

FNG
If you don't know for a fact that your wife and kids like elk meat, then go hunt a bovine, and save the elk for us "game eaters". Otherwise it will just end up in the landfill. I've seen this too many times, dudes really only hunting for a rack on the wall to stroke their egos.
Respect the animals!
No that won't be the case at all. I'm a meat hunter first - if a lone cow crosses my path, I will use the tag.

maxracx

FNG
I forgot a couple....

There is no accurate definition of the word "trophy". Never pass on the first day what you would gladly shoot on the last.
Always pack an extra pair of socks and TP.

Finch

WKR
Never give up even after a few unsuccessful trips. I'll be back in CO for my 5th trip next month. I've had close calls, shoulder shot a nice bull, etc but I ain't giving up.

All good advice, but this is the key

PERSISTENCE.
persisting, especially in spite of opposition, obstacles, discouragement,

the act or fact of stubbornly continuing to do something. 2 : the act or fact of continuing to exist longer than usual.

Trackselk

WKR
I will be doing archery.
Cool. I would just make sure that you fully understand that you will have less drop shooting downhill AND uphill, just like a bullet. And, then practice those shots at some fairly steep angles.
I archery hunted for several years and still made a mistake because the wind drove my arrow down much more than I could have imagined on a fairly steep uphill shot. Wind was blowing pretty steady down the stream/canyon. Missed a nice bull that day at an easy distance. He haunts me to this day because I pulled off a once in a lifetime stalk up a stream. The sound of the stream completely hid my sound, and he was munching away with his head in the brush, walked right up to about 20 yards, it was beautiful until I misunderstood what the wind can do.
-i've fixed that by mostly rifle hunting🤤

Elk97

WKR
Always nock an arrow before you call. Can't tell you how many bulls (and cows) have snuck in within 30 yards silently after I bugled.

A saying I’ve told clients when I wanted them to be prepared.. mentally. “Unless you’ve been to a Marine boot camp or gave birth to a 10 lb baby this will be the hardest thing you’ve ever done”

It’s true. You will reach rock bottom. It’s up to you to push through it or cave in.

Trackselk

WKR
Don't be like my buddy who passed up a cow on his first day ever bow hunting. Now it has been what, 3 years and he still hasn't taken an elk...
Any elk with a bow is an accomplishment. It will help your confidence to such a degree that the next elk will come MUCH easier, and it will likely have more points (antler).

Best advice I can give is to just go try your best and learn. Remember it's fun, don't take it too seriously and soak it up.

The one thing that really changed the game for me was subscribing to Chris Roe's elk module roehuntingresources.com
This is a legit course on elk behavior and calling strategies, he can be long winded but at least he's thorough. Not to be a salesman but before this course I never called an elk in in 4 years of archery hunting, and after watching the videos I called in multiple elk and killed one with my recurve at 7yds. Some people don't like him but it changed the game for me.
Chris Roe is a great guy. 👍

Ehunter

FNG
I would also suggest carrying different calls sometimes the call your using may not trigger a response but a different call might.

OP
A

AllDayAT

FNG
Appreciate all the insightful responses guys - truly. September 15th can’t come fast enough!