If you could only give one piece of advice to a new elk hunter, what would it be?

Mojave

WKR
There are a few different kinds of elk hunters.

In the old days it was considered wise to continually hunt the same unit over and over again year after year and eventually success will come.

Unless you live in Western Canada or a State were residents can pull the same tag year after year, those days are over.

The key is to spend as much time in the unit as you can. Remember that elk migrate over a 15-80 mile area depending on the season. So what you see in May not be what you see in September or October.

BDRam16

WKR
Don’t take it too hard too fast. NOTHING is flat. You’re walking around and realize you just dropped a couple hundred feet you eventually have to go back up. If you think it will take you an hour to hike somewhere, double it.

As noted; take it all in, thank God you get to go.
Get good boots, get them broke in quick.
be very familiar with map and compas as well as your GPS. Some national emergency happens gps will be shut down or very limited.
Revel in the experience. We see elk almost every day at home, Still makes me smile to see them hunting and I’ve hunted them more than 50 years.
You’re a rookie, give yourself a break if you make a mistake. I still say “well damn, screwed that one up” at least once a season
Range time vs workout. IF you have to choose workout.
Have fun, hope you knock one over.

S-3 ranch

WKR
Skip hunting public land and go private, no free lunch in good hunting
90% of elk haul ass to private property when the seasons start .
if public is the only place that you have, scout for the toughest to get to sanctuaries Next to private your willing to drive or hike, fly a helicopter too

Bluumoon

WKR
Only 2 seasons under my belt...Don't ignore your nose. If you smell them, follow the wind until you prove to yourself they aren't there. Also know your personal max effective shooting range (standing, kneeling, off a rest, prone) and that of your bullet (generic answer is 2000fps).

Gapmaster

WKR
Become mentally tough, learn to handle sudden changes to plans. Make the most of every second you are in the mountains, you never know when it will be your last. Take it all in, learn from every encounter and also every non encounter, that second part will be the hardest to comprehend. Why something didn’t work. When you learn why it won’t or didn’t work, that’s when it all comes together.

Ehunter

FNG
Wind is the most critical thing in elk hunting you can get way with noise. Even some movement. Calling elk don't give up you would be surprised how many elk will sneak in. Your first elk don't be stubborn holding out for a monster be happy with a raghorn until you get some experience. Be prepared for the suck packing out a elk if your miles from the road. Have fun and stay positive.

406life

Lil-Rokslider
The more time in the field, the more success you'll find. This seems like a no brainer, but its more than just having more time to see elk. Its learning your gear and how it fits/works, its finding and learning to read sign, recognizing your limitations, experiencing weather patterns, becoming comfortable with where you are, and dozens of other skills and nuggets of wisdom that only experience will grant you. The guy who hunts every day of one season is similar the guy who has been on a week long hunt multiple times.

OP
A

AllDayAT

FNG
To All:

I really appreciate the responses received thus far. I’m so excited for the opportunity it’s crazy. I will definitely take note of everything here and use it to my advantage in the field.

Trackselk

WKR
-Be prepared to shoot through some light brush, don't let it make you miss a good opportunity. *if you're 100% sure where the vitals are.
-don't get surprised and hesitate when a bull trots up on you and half bugles, and then bolts.
-don't go under-gunned. Elk are tough, and a copper bullet with a .308 or better can make up for a poorly placed shot. I think 7mm-08, 6.5 CM, etc are also good minimums. An 30-06 or 300 win mag will also narrow the chances of losing a wounded animal. I haven't lost an elk with barnes .308 150's, even on the one that was a marginal hit.
-use a fast aiming rifle if you're hunting in the timber.
-don't be over confident with a bow if you're going that route. It's really easy to wound an elk with an arrow, and they will be gone.

Those are 5 lessons I learned over the years the hard way. I was self taught 90% and made a lot of mistakes. I've since taken about 10 in a row without a loss or missed opportunity. Eat well!

BigLou

FNG
Don't pass a bull on the first day you would be happy with on the last day

or

You will never kill a big bull if you keep shooting small ones...