If you could move anywhere?

ODB

WKR
Curious if it was SLC or elsewhere

I lived in Layton for a while. Although I love my LDS friends (and I have a LOT of them), it seemed that unless you made a connection via your ward or stake, you weren’t worth a second look. This was 1996.

evergreenethos

Lil-Rokslider
Wife and I are in the middle of moving right now. We can both work 100% remote, so we could "move anywhere" as long as there is fast, reliable internet. We talked at length about a lot of the places mentioned here. ID, MT, AK, WY, and eastern WA were all contenders. I couldn't talk her into Alaska, but after looking around for about a year we finally had an offer accepted on a new place. We are staying here in western WA, but I am so excited about the property. Just over 4 acres, we have 2 fully fenced pastures, 2 ponds, a chicken coop, and a nice house thats 2x the sq ft of the place we just sold. It's got the space and remote feel I wanted but is still close to civilization and all the big city "stuff and things" she wanted. Probably could have gotten 10x that much in another geo, and JFC don't get me started on the interest rates, but we are very happy about it. First project is setting up an archery range in one of the pastures!

ODB

WKR
Wife and I are in the middle of moving right now. We can both work 100% remote, so we could "move anywhere" as long as there is fast, reliable internet. We talked at length about a lot of the places mentioned here. ID, MT, AK, WY, and eastern WA were all contenders. I couldn't talk her into Alaska, but after looking around for about a year we finally had an offer accepted on a new place. We are staying here in western WA, but I am so excited about the property. Just over 4 acres, we have 2 fully fenced pastures, 2 ponds, a chicken coop, and a nice house thats 2x the sq ft of the place we just sold. It's got the space and remote feel I wanted but is still close to civilization and all the big city "stuff and things" she wanted. Probably could have gotten 10x that much in another geo, and JFC don't get me started on the interest rates, but we are very happy about it. First project is setting up an archery range in one of the pastures!

Nice. Sounds like Enumclaw

Christopher.Reed

Lil-Rokslider
Hello no. Liberals and tourists everywhere. Oh and the local homeroids think they are better than everybody else for no other reason than they are from Homer. Nope.

I spent a few years there in my early teens and loved it. You can’t beat liberals by running from them. That’s all the more reason to move there as I enjoy debating opposing perspectives .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blandry

WKR

I'd consider Spokane but not much else in WA state. Glad you found a rural spot where you are now. All that matters is that you'll have peace and some land of your own to enjoy. I've also been looking around for 3+ years now. It's just as bad everywhere in the west/NW with people fleeing the large cities and blue states. I went up to Pierre, SD pheasant hunting last month and loved it up there. Talk about a sportsman's paradise! I'd never considered SD but enjoyed myself up there. The duck hunting and fishing are also superb. If someone just wants to get far away from cities and city people that's the place to do it. I also really liked North Platte, NE. We stopped there to eat on the way up to Pierre. You're close enough to hunt WY but live in some serious country.

I work for USDOT and support the entire western US so I get to talk to all employees in every state regularly. I was talking to the DA in MT last week and he said you don't want to move up here to MT, it's a shit-show everywhere now. He said Billings, Missoula, and even Helena are full of drugs, crime, and homeless.

Last edited:
I'd consider Spokane but not much else in WA state. Glad you found a rural spot where you are now. All that matters is that you'll have peace and some land of your own to enjoy. I've also been looking around for 3+ years now. It's just as bad everywhere in the west/NW with people fleeing the large cities and blue states. I went up to Pierre, SD pheasant hunting last month and loved it up there. Talk about a sportsman's paradise! I'd never considered SD but enjoyed myself up there. The duck hunting and fishing are also superb. If someone just wants to get far away from cities and city people that's the place to do it. I also really liked North Platte, NE. We stopped there to eat on the way up to Pierre. You're close enough to hunt WY but live in some serious country.

I work for USDOT and support the entire western US so I get to talk to all employees in every state regularly. I was talking to the DA in MT last week and he said you don't want to move up here to MT, it's a shit-show everywhere now. He said Billings, Missoula, and even Helena are full of drugs, crime, and homeless.
North Platte? Omfg I hate that place

Blandry

WKR
Hello no. Liberals and tourists everywhere. Oh and the local homeroids think they are better than everybody else for no other reason than they are from Homer. Nope.
That's what I've heard and Homer is more of a fishing village right? Sounds like the last place I'd want to move to in AK state.

I like where I am at in SW Colorado, BUT, if I could move I would like to move deeper into the mountains. I don’t really need any land as I am surrounded by national forest, I just don’t care to be in a suburb, even as rural as it is.

I'm pretty torn, I want to live somewhere with at least pretty accessible Elk tags, and if I wasn't gonna do that I'd want somewhere with limited snow.

I'd say that most medium sized towns on up are more full of drugs, crime, and homelessness than many people realize. Even a fair amount of the little towns and rural areas are flush with meth. Certainly some towns are better than others, but what constitutes just another day in a lot of cities is pretty harsh these days.

bradmacmt

Lil-Rokslider
That's pretty funny. Everywhere in the USA has drugs, crime and the homeless, and I'd take those things here over most anywhere else. "A "shit-show everywhere"... give me a break.

Blandry

WKR
That's pretty funny. Everywhere in the USA has drugs, crime and the homeless, and I'd take those things here over most anywhere else. "A "shit-show everywhere"... give me a break.
What I'm hearing, not what I'm seeing and his words not mine. This is a guy who's lived his entire life in MT so take that with a grain of salt.