If limited to copper bullets, what is optimal weight by caliber?

Bluefish

WKR
I have read parts of all the smaller caliber match bullet threads and am on board with the concept. Also listened to form on the podcast discussing the same concept. The question is, what to do for states that ban lead bullets? Go light for caliber and really fast? Go heavy for caliber and slow (subsonics)?

I tried heavy subs last year and was pleased with how effective they are. Animals went less distance than in years past and recoil/noise were lower. Downside is drop becomes an issue for longer ranges.

Macintosh

WKR
I think one takeaway from those threads is that impact velocity is critical—ie bullets upset only down to a low velocity limit. Regular copper seems to need a lot more velocity (25% more or so) than lead, so its likely that rapid velocity loss due to lower BC bullets becomes a limiting factor before too much drop does. Shooting traditional factory-loaded monos ive just plugged everything into my ballistic calculator and determined which bullet carries 2000 or 2200fps to the longest range—usually that is a light or moderately light for caliber bullet. Ie 120grain 7mm08 versus 140, etc. That’s worked fine for me for a number of years, although Ive never used one at more than moderate range. Id like to try a 6cm, both in lead and in copper.
Some of the boutique brands with higher bcs might buck that trend, and I know folks have told me they’ve been able to handload to a higher performance.

z987k

WKR
I have read parts of all the smaller caliber match bullet threads and am on board with the concept. Also listened to form on the podcast discussing the same concept. The question is, what to do for states that ban lead bullets? Go light for caliber and really fast? Go heavy for caliber and slow (subsonics)?

I tried heavy subs last year and was pleased with how effective they are. Animals went less distance than in years past and recoil/noise were lower. Downside is drop becomes an issue for longer ranges.
If you want berger like performance but lead free check out DRT bullets.

Tmac

WKR
When I use a mono bullet, I want 3,000 fps ish MV as a minimum. More is generally better. Depending on the bullet choice, that usually gets me to 400 - 600 yards with adequate velocity. I use the Barnes LRX most of the time. Have not tried the Hammers/DRT styles. But if my mono does not have a polymer tip better have a very large HP.

z987k

WKR
When I use a mono bullet, I want 3,000 fps ish MV as a minimum. More is generally better. Depending on the bullet choice, that usually gets me to 400 - 600 yards with adequate velocity. I use the Barnes LRX most of the time. Have not tried the Hammers/DRT styles. But if my mono does not have a polymer tip better have a very large HP.
The DRT is not a mono and a completely different animal. The hammer is a mono.

OP
B

Bluefish

WKR
I am building a fast twist 25-06. 80g ttsx at 3700+ or 135g eldm at 2900. Interesting that recoil is about the same for both.

Hoghead

WKR
I have had good luck with pva Cayuga bullets. I shoot 151 gr 7mm at 3200 fps. They are designed to tumble and will work down to 1700 fps. I have shot deer from. 1050 down to 268 yards, they never go anywhere if you do your part. I've been considering a 25-7 prc or 25 sherman max to get 3500 fps.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Lightish and fast, I say ISH because BC is a factor and if you have some good MV still with a midweight bullet in a caliber then it probably will pencil out better. But run the numbers with it. For instance in my 280AI I shoot a 145LRX at 3130fps, I wouldn't be interested in going to a 120gr ttsx or such nor would I want to shoot a heavier version.

As noted in the podcasts and something I've already stated many times. They are a high speed broadhead, pick your shot placement accordingly. If you shoot rear lungs with a broadhead it is going to take the animal time to die and you have to accept something similar if you do that with something like a barnes. If you shoot something through the heart / arterial bundle with a broadhead they die quickly. Being I shoot lots of barnes I shoot for the heart / arterial bundle.

The DRTs behave differently as noted. The newer hammer tipped bullets I haven't tried yet but sounds like they're pretty violent on impact, the hollow point is larger in it (covered by the tip) and the tip drives in more uniformly apparently. Anyways threads seem to indicate more aggressive impact damage than their normal lines. I may try some out sometime.

jfs82

WKR
Very limited on game performance so far (little I have had had no performance issues) but I am using a 22 cm with 73 gr hammer hunters (unknown munitions loaded for me) at approx 3450 fps.