If a guy had a $3,000 budget for a hunting rifle and scope

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
Article 4

Article 4

WKR
If this person absolutely feels they need a 7mm or 30 cal for elk then 7mm-08 gets the nod for me. Less recoil = it gets shot more often
They can sure kill and elk with a 6.5 but I generally tell newer shooters to go with a little more rifle...fan of bigger bullets on elk when a hunter is new. Mistakes happen

def90

WKR
What’s the budget to shoot and train after you buy the rifle system?

The less money you have to spend on ammo and training, be smaller, cartridge, and caliber you should go.

A 6.5 PRC or six Creedmoor is what I would suggest for someone who is just learning how to shoot Long Range.

I recommend the 6.5 PRC, because some people just have to have a magnum.

Truth is the six Creedmoor will get you the distance and ethical terminal performance out to 600 and 700 yards.

I would steer someone growing out of a 7 mm or especially a 30 caliber, because you go magnum, and the amount of recoil that they manifest is a detriment to learning how to shoot a long range, and be precise.

A power in six Creedmoor with a stocky stock and one of the Trijicon credo or 10 mile for around $1000 is what I would suggest, and then spend the balance of the money on ammo and training

You talk about having money to train and then suggest an expensive round?

def90

WKR
They can sure kill and elk with a 6.5 but I generally tell newer shooters to go with a little more rifle...fan of bigger bullets on elk when a hunter is new. Mistakes happen

Except that bigger rounds can induce some serious flinching and bad shooting habits in new shooters. I would go the opposite direction. Learn to shoot something that isn't going to beat the shit out of them when they practice and not induce bad habits. A well placed shot is better than a shit shot with a big bullet.

Matt5266

WKR
Was trying to accomplish this myself. But I think I'm going to go over a bit.

When I was trying to stay around 3k I was going to go with the Seekins PH2 and either a Trijicon Tenmile or a Maven RS 1.2

So far I have the Seekins on order, but i think I'm going to pick up a Nightforce NX8.

Duh

WKR
Was trying to accomplish this myself. But I think I'm going to go over a bit.

When I was trying to stay around 3k I was going to go with the Seekins PH2 and either a Trijicon Tenmile or a Maven RS 1.2

So far I have the Seekins on order, but i think I'm going to pick up a Nightforce NX8.
Got that exact combo and it’s been solid

mt100gr.

WKR
Except that bigger rounds can induce some serious flinching and bad shooting habits in new shooters. I would go the opposite direction. Learn to shoot something that isn't going to beat the shit out of them when they practice and not induce bad habits. A well placed shot is better than a shit shot with a big bullet.
THIS^^^ I wanted to type it soooo badly, but you said .284 or .308 multiple times.

Your friend has to walk before he runs. Help him become a competent and CONFIDENT rifleman first.

I'd let my daughters shoot elk with their .223 because I know they can put the bullet on the mark with that rifle. A bigger bullet doesn't buy you squat with a poor hit.

OP
Article 4

Article 4

WKR
Good point. He is not brand new to the sport just newer to the LR game, and is going to some classes. Rather have a good shot with a bigger bullet any day.

TaperPin

WKR
I’ll be the odd man out and suggest, what has been the stereotypical all around western elk/deer/antelope rifle since the 1970’s - a 7 Rem mag or PRC. If this is to be the only big game rifle, it really needs to be paired with a 243 one way or another - nobody wants to shoot a 7 mag as a plinking or training rifle.

The weak link in a hunting rifle is the scope, so with a $3k overall budget, spend half that on the scope/mount. There are many flavors of rifle in the $1k range - there’s nothing wrong with Tikka, or Savage, Christensen, Howa, Mosberg, Ruger, Winchester or Remington. Get a replacement trigger whatever gun is chosen.

If someone doesn’t already have a 223 or 243 to practice with, I’d still go with $1.5k for the scope/mount and get a used 7 mag paired with a used 243, sharing the scope between them. That combination is ideal for all ranges and covers all animals found in the lower 48 from prairie dogs to elk. I’d much rather have the two basic rifles with basic stocks, than one fancy gun with carbon fiber stock that recoils enough the shooter doesn’t enjoy plinking with it.

OP
Article 4

Article 4

WKR
I’ll be the odd man out and suggest, what has been the stereotypical all around western elk/deer/antelope rifle since the 1970’s - a 7 Rem mag or PRC. If this is to be the only big game rifle, it really needs to be paired with a 243 one way or another - nobody wants to shoot a 7 mag as a plinking or training rifle.

The weak link in a hunting rifle is the scope, so with a $3k overall budget, spend half that on the scope/mount. There are many flavors of rifle in the $1k range - there’s nothing wrong with Tikka, or Savage, Christensen, Howa, Mosberg, Ruger, Winchester or Remington. Get a replacement trigger whatever gun is chosen.

If someone doesn’t already have a 223 or 243 to practice with, I’d still go with $1.5k for the scope/mount and get a used 7 mag paired with a used 243, sharing the scope between them. That combination is ideal for all ranges and covers all animals found in the lower 48 from prairie dogs to elk. I’d much rather have the two basic rifles with basic stocks, than one fancy gun with carbon fiber stock that recoils enough the shooter doesn’t enjoy plinking with it.
I hear you. For years the venerable 7MM Rem Mag with a 175 accubond was all the elk rifle anyone ever needed. The 7PRC is that rifle on steroids. We like that caliber.
He is young, 6-4 and 225. Ex Military. His shoulder will handle it LOL

Last edited:

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
You talk about having money to train and then suggest an expensive round?
They are no more expensive than most any other round.

What round would be less than 6 creed and would meet long range hunting terminal velocity?

def90

WKR
They are no more expensive than most any other round.

What round would be less than 6 creed and would meet long range hunting terminal velocity?

? 6.5 Creedmore easily sells for twice what .308 goes for and 6.5 PRC is slightly higher than creedmore.

Status
Not open for further replies.