If a guy had a $3,000 budget for a hunting rifle and scope

Status
Not open for further replies.

Article 4

WKR
I write to ask for suggestions and opinion on the following question:

If I were to tell a friend who had a total of $3,000 to spend on a 7mm or 30 Cal hunting rifle and scope, what combinations of rifle and scope he should consider?

NateO 77

Lil-Rokslider
A little more but budget is a goal and rarely kept. I would get a tikka T3x SS lite in 7mm and then get a Swarovski Z6.
That’s actually my go to gun when I reach in the safe so I am biased

Slick8

Lil-Rokslider
I'd like to know the intended purpose of the rifle; long range hunting, average range <500, deer to elk or bigger, western hunting, suppressor, brake or none, legacy to pass on...?

If it were me, I'd allocate $1800 to the scope and $1200 to the rifle. Lots of great options in that range.
For the scope that gets you into a used premium with repeatable turrets and great glass or new without some of the options for long range. For the rifle, I suggest a model 700 clone, Tikka or Savage due to known quality and aftermarket items.

Lots of options in that price range and as in anything there's compromise's. Go down in scope cost and up in rifle.

OP
Article 4

Article 4

WKR
I'd like to know the intended purpose of the rifle; long range hunting, average range <500, deer to elk or bigger, western hunting, suppressor, brake or none, legacy to pass on...?

If it were me, I'd allocate $1800 to the scope and $1200 to the rifle. Lots of great options in that range.
For the scope that gets you into a used premium with repeatable turrets and great glass or new without some of the options for long range. For the rifle, I suggest a model 700 clone, Tikka or Savage due to known quality and aftermarket items.

Lots of options in that price range and as in anything there's compromise's. Go down in scope cost and up in rifle.
Good Question:
Just just moved to North Idaho, has some shooting experience but wants to an great all arounder for big game and might want to take a LR shooting course to get better at his craft.

sndmn11

WKR

OP
Article 4

Article 4

WKR
So far I have recommended a glass favoring split. Spend 1600 to 1800 on glass and the rest on rifle. So many options I am looking for a blind spot on something I may not think of.

sndmn11

WKR
So far I have recommended a glass favoring split. Spend 1600 to 1800 on glass and the rest on rifle. So many options I am looking for a blind spot on something I may not think of.

I think the optic is easy; SWFA fixed for practical, Maven RS1.2 or Nightforce Shv f1 if a variable is "needed".

Tikka/Vanguard and a comfortable stock (stockys, Rokstok, bravo) gets one lifetime tools.

def90

WKR
I got a Howa Carbon Stalker 1500 in .308 and a Burris XTR 3 for under $3k. Shoots great, have no complaints.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
What’s the budget to shoot and train after you buy the rifle system?

The less money you have to spend on ammo and training, be smaller, cartridge, and caliber you should go.

A 6.5 PRC or six Creedmoor is what I would suggest for someone who is just learning how to shoot Long Range.

I recommend the 6.5 PRC, because some people just have to have a magnum.

Truth is the six Creedmoor will get you the distance and ethical terminal performance out to 600 and 700 yards.

I would steer someone growing out of a 7 mm or especially a 30 caliber, because you go magnum, and the amount of recoil that they manifest is a detriment to learning how to shoot a long range, and be precise.

A power in six Creedmoor with a stocky stock and one of the Trijicon credo or 10 mile for around $1000 is what I would suggest, and then spend the balance of the money on ammo and training

TN2shot07

WKR
If I was spending the $3k right now I’d go to Sportsman’s and pick up one of the Newberg edition Howa rifles in 7mm-08 (it’s just their carbon stalker with a paint job and cerakote). Drop $180 on a Timney upgrade (I hate 2 stage triggers). Also available in 6.5 prc or 300 win if you like/need a magnum flavor. Second choice would be a Mark V hunter in 280 Ackley, ammo is more expensive though.

Swaro Z5 3.5-18 with the ballistic turret should get you pretty close, you may have enough left to pick up a Spartan.

Novahunter

Lil-Rokslider
Seekins PH2 with Bushnell LRHS 2 scope, and quality rings and a good brake should be pretty close to $3K.

That would be my recommendation

mt100gr.

WKR
Does your friend already have a suppressor or 2. IMO, suppressors are the number 1 item that will make your time at the range most beneficial. Much more comfortable and enjoyable to shoot the amount it takes to become proficient.

OP
Article 4

Article 4

WKR
What’s the budget to shoot and train after you buy the rifle system?

The less money you have to spend on ammo and training, be smaller, cartridge, and caliber you should go.

A 6.5 PRC or six Creedmoor is what I would suggest for someone who is just learning how to shoot Long Range.

I recommend the 6.5 PRC, because some people just have to have a magnum.

Truth is the six Creedmoor will get you the distance and ethical terminal performance out to 600 and 700 yards.

I would steer someone growing out of a 7 mm or especially a 30 caliber, because you go magnum, and the amount of recoil that they manifest is a detriment to learning how to shoot a long range, and be precise.

A power in six Creedmoor with a stocky stock and one of the Trijicon credo or 10 mile for around $1000 is what I would suggest, and then spend the balance of the money on ammo and training
Good thought. This is just for the rifle. He plans on shooting high quality box to start and then learning how to reload along the way.

OP
Article 4

Article 4

WKR
Does your friend already have a suppressor or 2. IMO, suppressors are the number 1 item that will make your time at the range most beneficial. Much more comfortable and enjoyable to shoot the amount it takes to become proficient.
He will be getting one at some point. This is for the rifle and glass only...suppressor money is separate and with the feds moving as they are, perhaps 6 months away

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Good thought. This is just for the rifle. He plans on shooting high quality box to start and then learning how to reload along the way.
6 creed has good match ammo at reasonable prices and will be far easier to be successful learning long range. Burn out the barrel and start over again…

Status
Not open for further replies.