If a guy had a $3,000 budget for a hunting rifle and scope

Status
Not open for further replies.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I do have intimate knowledge having served in multiple capacities within Socom. I am a decorated combat veteran with citations from the United Stated and other countries.

Anything else?

So then how do you not know that MK12’s, CSASS’s, M39’s, M24’s, MK20’s, and MK13’s aren’t sub 12lb 30cal magnums?

This is why appeal to authority is a fallacy- you say you are decorated combat veteran of SOCOM as to proof of knowledge- yet you don’t even know the basics of those sniper weapon systems. It’s because a job title does not mean expertise. It means a job title. Of course that’s ignoring that the majority of members in SOCOM are and were support roles. Which is itself ironic, because lots of “support” people are extremely competent shooters and fighters. And in all of that, none of it has anything to do with someone shooting and hunting well with a sub 12lb 30cal magnum.

OP
Article 4

Article 4

WKR
So then how do you not know that MK12’s, CSASS’s, M39’s, M24’s, MK20’s, and MK13’s aren’t sub 12lb 30cal magnums?

This is why appeal to authority is a fallacy- you say you are decorated combat veteran of SOCOM as to proof of knowledge- yet you don’t even know the basics of those sniper weapon systems. It’s because a job title does not mean expertise. It means a job title. Of course that’s ignoring that the majority of members in SOCOM are and were support roles. Which is itself ironic, because lots of “support” people are extremely competent shooters and fighters. And in all of that, none of it has anything to do with someone shooting and hunting well with a sub 12lb 30cal magnum.
Anytime you wanna DM me, and find a place to meet and talk. Let me know

I’m just a regular 11B monkey, but I can tell you my M4 doesn’t weight 6.4lbs just because Wikipedia says so.

For the OP: If I was staying under $3k for those requirements I’d do:
Tikka T3X in 6.5CM or 6.5PRC. But if 7mm or 30cal was required I’d do a 308, 7mag, etc
Maven RS1.2 or NF SHV F1
UM rings or a mountain tactical rail with NF rings. Maybe Hawkins if I needed the 25MOA cant
And use the rest to buy ammo and start practicing

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Anytime you wanna DM me, and find a place to meet and talk. Let me know

To be clear- you posted a list as a rebuttal, that was factually and objectively incorrect- any one can go look it up. Then, when called on it, you immediately posted a vague reference to your prior job and that you’re a veteran to show that you were correct (appeal to authority fallacy) in a subject you were 100% incorrect on. I didn’t ask, nor care about what you do or have done. It has nothing to do with the subject.

OP
Article 4

Article 4

WKR
What does that have to do with anything we are discussing?

To be clear- you posted a list as a rebuttal, that was factually and objectively incorrect- any one can go look it up. Then, when called on it, you immediately posted a vague reference to your prior job and that you’re a veteran to show that you were correct (appeal to authority fallacy) in a subject you were 100% incorrect on. I didn’t ask, nor care about what you do or have done. It has nothing to do with the subject.
You stated no snipers shoot rifles under 12 lbs. You are wrong.

My list was correct. Period.
This is my thread and am can and will comment on whatever I want to. You came in late acting as if you are the only and final authority on anything anyone writes at any time. You are entitled to your opinion, thats all you have is opinion.

Fact:
Published weights of the following systems are all around or under 12 lbs. The M110A1 and Mark 40 and M91A2 and Mk13 Mod 7 are all in 30 caliber with the latter being in 300 WM magnum calibers!

A well know sniper is quoted to say "his GA Precision Gladius chambered in 308, was his favorite" and it is less than 12lbs. But I guess he doesn't know what he is talking about either, in your view.

You are wrong and insulting, which is why I offered to meet and share some perspective. Ill put my brain, my service, my experience, and the respect of my peers ahead of your opinion every day.

How about a Montana Rifle Company Highline rifle in a 7mm PRC, 280AI or 7mm Remington. They also chamber it in 300 Winchester. More chamberings to come. They are made in Michigan USA. The rifles come with a 1/2" accuracy guarantee and the recievers are machined out of solid 416 stainless. The scope mounting system is machined into the reciever. The company that owns Montana Rifle Company is Grace Engineering Corp.
1711399336446.png 1711399363849.png
1711399393642.png
This is the Junction Rfle.
1711399464904.png
1711399489041.png
Put a 4.5-14x40mm Leupold VX3 with the B&C reticle and you would have a fine hunting rifle!
Here's some of what they say. Sure looks like a nice rifle. I'm drooling right now.

MRC 2022 RECEIVER​

The all-new MRC 2022 receiver is a continuation of the original MRC 1999 receiver which is conceived in part from the pre-64 Model 70. Our controlled feed receiver is one of few on the market that is 100% fully machined from a 416 stainless steel blank. This provides the ultimate in precision and reliability.

PRECISION MANUFACTURING​

Montana Rifle Co. is owned and manufactured by Grace Engineering Corp., a 3rd generation family business known for its precision manufacturing in the firearm industry, as well as a leading archery brand – G5 Outdoors.

ADAPTIVE CONTROL ROUND FEED​

This Mauser-style claw extractor is made from tool steel. The extractor provides consistent round ejection and ensures a smooth feed for the cartridge.

ULTRA-ACCURATE BARRELS​

Montana Rifle Co. has always been known for its hand-lapped, button pulled ultra-accurate barrels – that’s where it all started. All of our barrels are built in-house using the same equipment and methods as the original Montana Rifle Co

3-POSITION SAFETY​

The 3-position safety blocks the firing pin and lets you open the bolt with the safety on. In first position, both the firing pin and the bolt are locked. Second position, locks the firing pin, but not the bolt. Third position, with the safety fully forward, the rifle is ready to fire.

ADJUSTABLE TRIGGER​

Inspired by the pre-64 Model 70 trigger geometry, our trigger is simple to adjust and operate. It is precision wire EDM cut from tool steel, and is factory set at 3 lbs, with the capability to adjust down to 2 lbs.

ULTRA-ACCURATE BARRELS​

Montana Rifle Co. has always been known for its hand-lapped, button pulled ultra-accurate barrels – that’s where it all started. All of our barrels are built in-house using the same equipment and methods as the original Montana Rifle Co.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
You stated no snipers shoot rifles under 12 lbs. You are wrong.

My list was correct. Period.

This was my quote-

There are no military snipers shooting 30 cal mags in a 8lb or even 12lb rifle systems.

“30cal mags in 12lb rifle systems” Please point out any issued 30cal magnum military sniper weapon system that are 12lbs or less.

This is my thread and am can and will comment on whatever I want to. You came in late acting as if you are the only and final authority on anything anyone writes at any time. You are entitled to your opinion, thats all you have is opinion.

No, I addressed something that was inaccurate.

As far as opinion- I will bet you $10,000 to the charity of your choice that a MK13 Mod 7 system isn’t 9lbs. Contact Ryan Avery and I will bring one that can be weighed on video. If it weighs less than 9lbs I will donate the money immediately information if you. When it doesn’t, you do the same.

Fact:
Published weights of the following systems are all around or under 12 lbs. The M110A1 and Mark 40 and M91A2 and Mk13 Mod 7 are all in 30 caliber with the latter being in 300 WM magnum calibers!

Again- read what I wrote. Published specs can and often are incorrect. So, let’s be blunt- have you weighed a MK13 Mod 7 sniper’s weapon system?

A well know sniper is quoted to say "his GA Precision Gladius chambered in 308, was his favorite" and it is less than 12lbs. But I guess he doesn't know what he is talking about either, in your view.

Neat- so some dude likes a 12lb empty- not system, 308 win- and that has what to do with sub 12lb 30 cal magnum rifle systems?

You are wrong and insulting, which is why I offered to meet and share some perspective. Ill put my brain, my service, my experience, and the respect of my peers ahead of your opinion every day.

Neat. I do not care about your history. You could have been a mechanic or the world’s greatest commando- it has no bearing on the discussion.

OP
Article 4

Article 4

WKR
This was my quote-

“30cal mags in 12lb rifle systems” Please point out any issued 30cal magnum military sniper weapon system that are 12lbs or less.

As far as opinion- I will bet you $10,000 to the charity of your choice that a MK13 Mod 7 system isn’t 9lbs. Contact Ryan Avery and I will bring one that can be weighed on video. If it weighs less than 9lbs I will donate the money immediately information if you. When it doesn’t, you do the same.

Again- read what I wrote. Published specs can and often are incorrect. So, let’s be blunt- have you weighed a MK13 Mod 7 sniper’s weapon system?

Neat- so some dude likes a 12lb empty- not system, 308 win- and that has what to do with sub 12lb 30 cal magnum rifle systems?

Neat. I do not care about your history. You could have been a mechanic or the world’s greatest commando- it has no bearing on the discussion.
Joke. Have you ever used any of those systems - I have.

Some dude? That dude is named Chris Kyle and the rifle was built for him by George Gardner. I know this fact because I worked with George on a couple of rifles and I was in Vegas with Chris having beers two weeks before his death, and he said so.

But let me guess, you will say he is wrong too!!

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Joke. Have you ever used any of those systems - I have

Yes. Does it change the weight? If you touch them, do they lose 4-10 pounds?

Some dude? That dude is named Chris Kyle and the rifle was built for him by George Gardner. I know this fact because I worked with George on a couple of rifles and I was in Vegas with Chris having beers two weeks before his death, and he said so.

Neat, now it’s name dropping. Again, how does that have anything to do with a military issue sub 12lb 30cal mag sniper rifle system?

Like the digital world, I'm a generation or two behind, but I didn't see any suggestions for a time-tested rifle/action with a long history of reliability ala Mauser type, Almost all of the scopes suggested would make Hubble proud.

But my young friends that own the LGS are enjoying all the $$$$$.
Yup… Call me a fudd, but why not go for a standard cartridge (.308 .270 or .30-06) with a Winchester Model 70?

OP
Article 4

Article 4

WKR
This was my quote-

OK - the marine corps published a story quoting that the MK13 Mod 7 weighs 11.4 lbs - ill include a pic of the article quoting the weight for your convenience. So no, its not 9 but it is also LESS than 12 lbs which was your original assertion, oh its in a 300 WM, which is a magnum caliber last time I looked!!!!

Since you wont meet, I am happy to meet Ryan! We can then both look look at the article published by the Marine Corps times in May of of 2022 with a confirmed weight of the The Mk13 Mod 7 weighs 11.4 pounds.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-25 at 2.15.03 PM.jpeg
    Screenshot 2024-03-25 at 2.15.03 PM.jpeg
    150.7 KB · Views: 34

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
OK - the marine corps published a story quoting that the MK13 Mod 7 weighs 11.4 lbs - ill include a pic of the article quoting the weight for your convenience. So no, its not 9 but it is also LESS than 12 lbs which was your original assertion, oh its in a 300 WM, which is a magnum caliber last time I looked!!!!

The stripped empty- no optic, no bipod, no mag, no suppressor…. Is that a “system” ?

I don’t need an article. It’s been a few weeks since I shot one, so maybe they lost 6-10 lbs somehow.

Since you wont meet,

What are you talking about. I literally said I will bet you $10k to the charity of your choose, in person with a real MK13 Mod 7 system if it weighs 9lbs.

I am happy to meet Ryan! We can then both look look at the article published by the Marine Corps times in May of of 2022 with a confirmed weight of the The Mk13 Mod 7 weighs 11.4 pounds.

Why are you quoting an article- have you personally weight a MK13 Mod 7 rifle system?

9.3koolaid

Lil-Rokslider
Joke. Have you ever used any of those systems - I have.

Did he tell you about when he shot looters from the super dome as directed by the president?

OP
Article 4

Article 4

WKR
The stripped empty- no optic, no bipod, no mag, no suppressor…. Is that a “system” ?

I don’t need an article. It’s been a few weeks since I shot one, so maybe they lost 6-10 lbs somehow.

What are you talking about. I literally said I will bet you $10k to the charity of your choose, in person with a real MK13 Mod 7 system if it weighs 9lbs.

Why are you quoting an article- have you personally weight a MK13 Mod 7 rifle system?
You literally said
"You mean the military snipers that by and large have or are transitioning to 6.5 Creedmoor? Or are you talking about the military snipers that shoot 300’s and 338’s in 20-25lb braked or suppressed rifles? There are no military snipers shooting 30 cal mags in a 8lb or even 12lb rifle systems."

You are wrong, period and I proved it through quoting published 30 cal mag weights and another article. Yet you refuse to understand that the real expert is the Marine Corps, not some random guy on the internet.
Ok, you want to be right, ill let you, you would know best of course. Obviously, I will bow to another random guy on the internet who clearly knows more than the Marines, experts from Berger, Hornady, and Harvard scientists and West Point Ballisticians. Not to mention every other shooter, smith, ballistician, scientist and soldier alive today. Man, is it good to be alive and to virtually know you!

Let me know when you write your article and discredit the Marines, Ill surely read it.

I don't care if you try to challenge my opinion, it makes me smile. At least you have respect for Chris's published opinion, or are you waiting to get around insulting him too?

atmat

WKR
You literally said
"You mean the military snipers that by and large have or are transitioning to 6.5 Creedmoor? Or are you talking about the military snipers that shoot 300’s and 338’s in 20-25lb braked or suppressed rifles? There are no military snipers shooting 30 cal mags in a 8lb or even 12lb rifle systems."

You are wrong, period and I proved it through quoting published 30 cal mag weights and another article. Yet you refuse to understand that the real expert is the Marine Corps, not some random guy on the internet.
Ok, you want to be right, ill let you, you would know best of course. Obviously, I will bow to another random guy on the internet who clearly knows more than the Marines, experts from Berger, Hornady, and Harvard scientists and West Point Ballisticians. Not to mention every other shooter, smith, ballistician, scientist and soldier alive today. Man, is it good to be alive and to virtually know you!

Let me know when you write your article and discredit the Marines, Ill surely read it.

I don't care if you try to challenge my opinion, it makes me smile. At least you have respect for Chris's published opinion, or are you waiting to get around insulting him too?
Haha dude you’re ridiculous. 12 lb rifle systems. Reading comprehension my guy.

OP
Article 4

Article 4

WKR
Did he tell you about when he shot looters from the super dome as directed by the president?
Never heard that one but then again, I never had the opportunity to hear all his stories at that table in Caesers...or when I was having wine with his wife Taya, Dakota Meyer, and Sarah Palin shortly thereafter but heck, but whoops, there I go again name dropping. Form might get mad at me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.