Ideas for staying awake while driving solo

sneaky

"DADDY"
Sunflower seeds and chewing ice from wherever I've stopped last and finished my drink. Those work the best for me.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Marble

WKR
If I am tired I just pull over and take a quick nap. 20 minutes will keep me going a long time. Even more if needed.

I also pike energy drinks, coffee and nicotine...

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

If you're bored, set a 30 min alarm on your phone. every time it goes off or you get tired pull over and run some laps around your truck or do some pushups outside. the cars driving by just make it more of a wake-up, screw it you don't know them. When that doesn't work for 30 min, pull over and yank that handy lever on the left side of your seat and snooze for a while. The chances of dying at the hands of a psycho at a rest stop are less than staying behind the wheel.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I need everybody’s special hacks for staying awake while driving at night. I’m leaving at 7pm and driving through the night for 10 hours.
So far sunflower seeds are my go to.
Most important one, know when to pull over and take a nap. It is not worth dying over.

That said, audiobooks or podcasts that are engaging help me. Sunflower seeds, coffee and energy drinks help to.

If you get to the point of having to nap, but have no pull off, rolling down the window and doing isometric exercises can by a little time.

I think a lot of it is just your constitution. I have driven from San Diego to Arkansas nonstop without another driver, also covered 4000 miles solo in 4.5 days last year. I have also had to pull over on 3 hour drives and nap in a sing cab 1st gen Tacoma's cab. So, be safe, and know the signs that you need to tap out (touch and goes, not remembering several miles of roads, not being able to focus, crossing the lines, not seeing something to react as soon as you normally would).

I do some hardcore daydreaming, usually about the upcoming trip or things that rile me up like fighting, fist fights fun fights whatever. It only works when I'm alone without distractions but when it works it works well. I've tried it when people are with me, ruins everything when the wife wakes up every 10 minutes asking if I'm ok because I'm quiet. Lol

SwiftShot

WKR
I listen to hunting podcast. Things that keep me interested. Sorry but if you get tired pull over. Better late than dead.

summs

Lil-Rokslider
usually the fear of hitting a deer, or moose, was enough for me. Driving overnight to Champlain on NY thruway cruising through the Adirondacks at 1am, not seeing a car for long stretches at a time. or when I was commuting regularly from NJ to ME.
I'd always buy 2 white monsters, 2 packs of planters honey roasted peanuts, and a bag of sunflower seeds. I don't drink caffeine normally, so these are like crack... I imagine. I'd drive the half (4-5 hours) drinking water, then I would open a monster and peanuts when it got boring. And the other was backup if needed.

On a actual busy highway like 95 or merit parkway, seat down, lights dimmed, cruise control, windows down and music up. When the air on your face starts to feel good, it's time to pull over.

Biggest thing was up tempo music, hard to talk when arriving at location some times, had to put on an overnight concert to keep moral up.

Naps.

not to pile on, it live long enough and you will know or be someone that was involved in an accident that was a result of someone falling asleep.

my step dad ran his truck off the road twice in the last couple of years. Both times there was no one hurt but it did a lot of property damage the second time. He doesnt drive much anymore.

hunt1up

WKR
I'd just adjust your plans a little. I've done a lot of long drives and I almost enjoy them when it's daylight. I've done the night stuff and it's miserable. And driving next to sleepy truck drivers at 3:00am is no fun.

Try leaving a few hours earlier, maybe mid afternoon if you can. Stop at 10:00, sleep for 5-6 hours, then finish up. Switching to this plan vs. driving straight through has made my long drives managable and halfway enjoyable. I like seeing the terrain change throughout the day when I drive. Keeps things halfway interesting. At night I just get pissed.

cjl32

Lil-Rokslider
I'm done with the all night driving. Successfully used all the common suggestions here but I feel off for next couple days if I stay up all night. Several times drove all night to trailhead and got all excited about hunting and packing in. Hit the trail and after couple hours the excitement and adrenaline is gone. Then took couple days to get back right.

A stop for 3 or 4 hours of sleep works for me. I hate paying for a hotel bed for just 4 hours but it's worth it to me. I'm good for couple days of up at 4am and back in bed at midnight with 20 hours of driving in between.