Idaho's Hunting and Advanced Technology Working Group Coming

PanhandlePilgrim

Lil-Rokslider
Idaho is about to seriously embrace some Fudd Culture and if you hunt here and enjoy long range hunting your time to speak up is coming. Once again we as hunters are our own worst enemy but we will have the chance to possibly influence regulations going forward. Here's the link to the press release.

PredatoronthePrairie

Lil-Rokslider
Care to enlighten us on the concerns?

Quick glance it said limit new tech, reduce seasons or reduce tags.

If the agency needs to manage due to increased success rates across the board. Something has to give.

eric1115

WKR
I don't read anything in that press release that says fudd culture to me. The impression I get is that we want to have the conversation about drones, cell capable trail cams, etc before they are so widely in use that people would throw a fit about having them taken away. I think that's a really worthwhile conversation to have, and now is the time to have it.

I appreciate you posting the notice, I tried to pay attention to the emails they send out but missed this. I will probably sign up to be part of it.

the existing electronics in scopes rules, the existing muzzleloader restrictions, existing rifle weight limits, etc don't really bother me, and I can see the argument for both sides of those issues. I think revisiting them is appropriate.

OP
PanhandlePilgrim

PanhandlePilgrim

Lil-Rokslider
My concern is that as long range shooters we rely on a lot of technology such as ballistic computers, rangefinders and our "tactical" scopes for dialing. If we don't put some dogs in this fight we very well could lose the right to use them in Idaho.

OP
PanhandlePilgrim

PanhandlePilgrim

Lil-Rokslider
Another concern is that it has been proven that winters, disease and predation are killing more animals and hunter success is a drop in the bucket compared to the other 3. Hunter success has not drastically risen and in many areas has decreased. Don't believe me? Take a long, 60-70 mile walk through the Frank Church, The Selway, the Panhandle, and tell me just how many elk you see.
The state isn't doing enough to address real issues and they are managing people instead of the resource.

rogerthat

FNG
Yeah this definitely is a good step by Idaho to ensure the future of ethical hunting in Idaho.

I think there's an argument to be made that using rangefinders and a turret scope to dial and shoot long distances requires the development of a skillset just as using a rangefinder and a sliding site does in archery. Both require an understanding of your equipment in order to be effective.

I feel that cell enabled cameras, drones, and other similar items may be pushing the envelope in regards to fair chase but its definitely a bit of a gray area that could possibly benefit from some healthy debate.

Lawnboi

WKR
I wonder if anything but electronic optics are even brought up.

Way bigger fish to fry

Drones
Cell cams
Aerial scouting

And yes if these agencies managed for wildlife and not the almighty dollar we might see some change. Hard to turn off that money spigot the western states got going though.

OP
PanhandlePilgrim

PanhandlePilgrim

Lil-Rokslider
I wonder if anything but electronic optics are even brought up.

Way bigger fish to fry

Drones
Cell cams
Aerial scouting

And yes if these agencies managed for wildlife and not the almighty dollar we might see some change. Hard to turn off that money spigot the western states got going though.

Correct me if I am wrong but aside from the Cell Cams aren't those other things already illegal? I haven't cracked in to that part of the regs recently .

Fire_9

WKR
Did you fill out the form to be a member of the group?

Looks like cell cams are legal but the aerial scouting is not. I would add thermals to the list as well.

IdahoBeav

WKR
My concern is that as long range shooters we rely on a lot of technology such as ballistic computers, rangefinders and our "tactical" scopes for dialing. If we don't put some dogs in this fight we very well could lose the right to use them in Idaho.
I applied

Hunt big game or game birds from or by the use of any motorized vehicle, including any unmanned aircraft system(drone). Holders of a valid handicapped person’s Motor Vehicle Hunting Permit can hunt from a motorized vehicle when the vehicle is stopped and off public roadways.
Use any motorized vehicle including any unmanned aircraft system (drone), to molest, stir up, rally or drive in any manner any game animal or game bird.
• To use aircraft, including any unmanned aircraft system(drone), to locate game or furbearing animals and communicate location to persons then on the ground, or to use any helicopter to transport hunters, gear, or game except at established landing fields.

This is straight from the regs. The only three times that the word "drone" is used.

Can' t use them to hunt, which I'm guessing they mean an armed drone of some sort?

Can't use them to drive game.

The last bullet point I think could be a little murky based on wording in the the section that I italicized.

eric1115

WKR

Maybe I'm naive, but I don't see any of those being on the table. I think rangefinders are so firmly established as a basic piece of hunting gear, and there's absolutely no practical way to enforce a prohibition on ballistic computers since they live on your phone (plus dope cards are an easy workaround).

Exposed turret scopes would be the one that is most likely, but I would be astounded if they went after those since they are in such wide use already. Plus, a capped SHV is a totally usable workaround.

A lot of what matters will be the nuance and details - Nevada banned trail cam use entirely after August 1st through the end of the year, but has banned use of cell-capable cameras a full month earlier, starting July 1st. Those are the kinds of details that really matter. Ban drones entirely? Or beginning on a certain date? Etc.

Another concern is that it has been proven that winters, disease and predation are killing more animals and hunter success is a drop in the bucket compared to the other 3. Hunter success has not drastically risen and in many areas has decreased. Don't believe me? Take a long, 60-70 mile walk through the Frank Church, The Selway, the Panhandle, and tell me just how many elk you see.
The state isn't doing enough to address real issues and they are managing people instead of the resource.
How do you think they should manage for disease and bad winters? Short of hiring professionals to control predators from the air, I’m not sure how much more they can do for predator harvest either.

I understand what you are trying to say, but technology is changing and does have an impact on success rates. Trying to get in front of some of these things is absolutely a great thing.

I appreciate you posting this link. This seems like a positive decision by F&G to offer the hunting community an opportunity to provide feedback to the agency. If they truly pick, as they say they plan to, a well rounded group of member for the committee, this could really pave the way for more constructive dialogue between all of the interested parties.

Technology is getting better every year, and there are things that can make success easier. I also agree that limiting technology is a good idea. You mentioned your fear that Long range shooting is going to be attacked. Part of me thinks it should be to an extent or opportunity would have to decrease. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy long range shooting but I do think that at some point using all the available technology to make it easy to reach out further becomes an issue. If success rates increase enough, tags would have to be reduced. I’m not saying it’s an issue now, but it could be down the road??