Idahoans do not like out-of-state hunters

LoggerDan

WKR
@Yoder

i dont mind them up here, for tne most part. I do wish they would put a moratorium on NR sheep for awhile. Otherwise, Alaska needs that money. NR hunters, ok! NR fishermen….welll…

Beendare

WKR
I just spent 2 weeks in Idaho from Ca and the residents were pretty darn tolerant- kudos to the Idaho Bowhunters.

There was a couple guys not happy we stumbled into their honey hole- he said he has hunted for 6 years- we said no problem, we won’t come back….and then 1 1/2 hours later we found a bull down A little ways away.

Knowing it must have been theirs, I whistled, and then yelled and they came across the hill from a ways away. It was arrowed quartering to…a good shot but high and no blood. That would have been a tough find if at all in that very thick stuff.

Most of us California hunters are salt of the earth types- just like Idahoans- we are just trapped in the political hell that is Ca due to family/work/etc.

Ca wasnt always that way…hopefully we DON’T all see how bad things can get in the US when they trot out Newsom for president

IdahoElk

WKR
Most people move to Idaho to get away from people, The population has almost doubled in the last 20 years making it one of the countries fastest growing states.
A lot of people I know are at their wits end to find areas to hunt that aren't loaded with people add non residents to the mix and this leads to people being frustrated and not very neighborly.

Interactions with locals all over Great Falls, MT were phenomenal after our hunt in the Bob. Thumbs up and honks everywhere from strangers, and several pulled up to get the story when we parked at a farm and home store otw out of town. We were blown away by the welcome we received with our Iowa plates.

In WY last fall, folks in Buffalo were great. State trooper outside Gillette on our way home was phenomenal. I missed the speed limit change and got pulled over. He saw our bed full of gear, out of state plates, and we visited on the side of I90 for like 15 minutes. Ended up with a verbal warning and he wished us safe travels.

In IA, during deer season, friends, family, and residents are the worst. Jeckyl/Hyde during deer season and best buds the rest of the year. :rolleyes: I’ve never caught NR trespassing or poaching.

Rob5589

WKR
Most people move to Idaho to get away from people, The population has almost doubled in the last 20 years making it one of the countries fastest growing states.
A lot of people I know are at their wits end to find areas to hunt that aren't loaded with people add non residents to the mix and this leads to people being frustrated and not very neighborly.
The most likely scenario; over crowding primarily by residents but, NR are the easy targets to blame. I doubt a resident will ask another how long they've been around and give them grief if it's only a short time. Unfortunately/fortunately ID has/had a lot to offer for people looking to escape states like CA. But that has come with a cost like population crowding and home prices. A co-worker recently moved to Eagle, or Eaglefornia as they call it😆

Clark33

WKR
As a NR hunting in Idaho the biggest A** I've ran into was another NR from Utah. We were getting back to our truck around 9PM with the buck in my avatar strapped to my pack. As we were unloading the meat and horns into the bed a couple guys from Utah rode up on horses. One was being real salty towards us, complaining how they had been hunting for a week and haven't seen anything. It was our 1st day on the mountain and that seemed to really irk them. We just laughed and wished them luck.

OP
Kleos

Kleos

Lil-Rokslider
I am not saying OP is making things up but when I read it this came to mind.

If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day, you're the asshole.​

Valid point.

OP
Kleos

Kleos

Lil-Rokslider
I am wondering if you left any pertinent details out of your post, such as:
1. Do you happen to have a punchable face?
2. Do you hunt in matching high-end camo, including your bow and sunglasses?
3. Do you wear a flat brimmed hat that you tuck your ears into?
4. When driving logging roads do you have your sunglasses on, windows down, and sweet tunes bumping?
5. Does your hunting rig resemble the type of brand-new four-wheel drive vehicle a poser would buy with no intention of ever leaving the pavement?
6. Do your interactions with other humans generally resemble the "Big Gulps" scene from Dumb and Dumber?
7. Were you waiting outside of someone else's tent in the dark and greeted them when they woke up with "Hey guys! What is our plan for the day?".

I am just looking for more specifics so I can give you some better advice. Good luck the rest of the season!
1. My wife thinks so.
2. I do love me some Sitka, but my pants are solid color, bow is an older solid color bow, and I don't wear sunglasses.
3. No, is this something I should do?
4. No to sunglasses, windows down yes, no music.
5. I prefer my paint pin striped from branches.
6. This is a normal interaction right? Also same style of haircut.
7. No, I was inside their tent with breakfast made.

Thank you in advance for the advice.

JPD350

WKR
I didn't read all the posts but I can tell you for a fact that bad apples can come from any tree. Most people I have ran into have been pretty cool but the last NR I encountered was on an 50 mile long dirt road. He's pulling a flatbed trailer with an ATV and a lot of other stuff so he's driving slower than my Grandma, this dirt road is a non passable road unless both parties oblige each other, when going opposite directions it's the same situation and driving etiquette is mandatory on this road. This dude had 20 opportunities to let me pass, all he had to do was pull over for 30 seconds and I would have been on my way. Instead he was an out of state prick with no etiquette, just a turtlehead sucking POS. Yea, I passed the dude, I knew the road and eventually a prairie section would come up, when it did I went completely off road and passed him, I am pretty sure that his window was down and I couldn't have been happier cause it was bone dry and I let my diesel spin the heck out of my tires, I hope some rocks smacked his window and he got a little dirt in is mouth.

Even though, I do not equate that all NR's or R's are bad just because of a few.

Yoder

WKR
In PA, we generally hate everyone from NY an NJ. This goes for everyone, not just hunters. Every time I hear that NY foggetabout it accent, I hope they die in a fiery car crash. I know it's wrong but I'm just not a good person. They all moved here during covid and now we have a Democrat representative for the first time.

I didn't read all the posts but I can tell you for a fact that bad apples can come from any tree. Most people I have ran into have been pretty cool but the last NR I encountered was on an 50 mile long dirt road. He's pulling a flatbed trailer with an ATV and a lot of other stuff so he's driving slower than my Grandma, this dirt road is a non passable road unless both parties oblige each other, when going opposite directions it's the same situation and driving etiquette is mandatory on this road. This dude had 20 opportunities to let me pass, all he had to do was pull over for 30 seconds and I would have been on my way. Instead he was an out of state prick with no etiquette, just a turtlehead sucking POS. Yea, I passed the dude, I knew the road and eventually a prairie section would come up, when it did I went completely off road and passed him, I am pretty sure that his window was down and I couldn't have been happier cause it was bone dry and I let my diesel spin the heck out of my tires, I hope some rocks smacked his window and he got a little dirt in is mouth.

Even though, I do not equate that all NR's or R's are bad just because of a few.
Had the same exact thing with some sort of tour van loaded full of hippies. Twice I thought they were moving over to let me by, they weren't they were just avoiding potholes. Ended up passing with half my truck in the ditch and they acted like I'd just spit in their faces. Good thing they're too afraid to go past 10mph so no way to catch up to me. Lol...

OP
Kleos

Kleos

Lil-Rokslider
In PA, we generally hate everyone from NY an NJ. This goes for everyone, not just hunters. Every time I hear that NY foggetabout it accent, I hope they die in a fiery car crash. I know it's wrong but I'm just not a good person. They all moved here during covid and now we have a Democrat representative for the first time.
I think people in PA just hate everyone haha. I lived in down town Philly for several years.

I think people in PA just hate everyone haha. I lived in down town Philly for several years.
They're just mean in general lol. I did some work up there, local company guy was being nice giving me directions to go to lunch and using terms like "take a right at Piggly Wiggly" or whatever, I told him I don't know where anything's at but I'll be fine with Google maps. He got MAD and cussed me up and down. LOL

rclouse79

WKR
1. My wife thinks so.
2. I do love me some Sitka, but my pants are solid color, bow is an older solid color bow, and I don't wear sunglasses.
3. No, is this something I should do?
4. No to sunglasses, windows down yes, no music.
5. I prefer my paint pin striped from branches.
6. This is a normal interaction right? Also same style of haircut.
7. No, I was inside their tent with breakfast made.

Thank you in advance for the advice.
You sound like an alright guy to me. Must have just been some bad luck being in an area with a lot of buttholes.

Mosby

WKR
I grew up in PA too. I liked me some girls from New Jersey back in the day but the guido's are the worst of them.

Evergreen

WKR
I’ve seen both, for the most part folks are great! My son and I were scouting a few weeks ago for his Moose tag in our home state. We accessed our area from a road in Idaho and on the way out we were headed towards Idaho we see an approaching truck headed into our state who immediately gives us the finger WTF dude!!! Yah he gave us the finger as he headed into our state, what an idiot😂