Idaho Unit 10A- Elk vs wolves

Honestly the further south you go the better it is, because to some extent there is less wolves and it’s easier to glass. In North Idaho it’s a lot thicker, you are kinda just glassing clearcuts. There is still some animals, I just shot a bull last weekend and I saw multiple others, but you’ve really got to have an idea of what you are doing. Most of the guides I know up here are just young guys who are still learning, so you are almost better to DIY. Just my opinion.
Looking at a guide that hunt units 15, 16, 19, 20, and 20A

I would assume an outfitter in 10a will have a few tricks up his sleeve to get away from people. There are a few parts of 10 a that are pretty remote but most of the unit is riddled with logged areas with lots of roads. Be prepared to hear and see a lot of rumbling from off road vehicles. There are lots of hunters that pound this unit. There are Elk the quality not what it once was. Wolves seem to move in and out. Some years they're everywhere and other years no where to be found. The hardest part is navigating people and finding honey holes that go overlooked. As soon as you find a good one be prepared to go in next year and see it logged off and your starting over. Success here feels very gratifying because it's difficult hunting. It's thick in-between logged areas and makes glassing pretty tough. Just a few facts from my 25 yrs of hunting in this unit....

I would assume an outfitter in 10a will have a few tricks up his sleeve to get away from people. There are a few parts of 10 a that are pretty remote but most of the unit is riddled with logged areas with lots of roads. Be prepared to hear and see a lot of rumbling from off road vehicles. There are lots of hunters that pound this unit. There are Elk the quality not what it once was. Wolves seem to move in and out. Some years they're everywhere and other years no where to be found. The hardest part is navigating people and finding honey holes that go overlooked. As soon as you find a good one be prepared to go in next year and see it logged off and your starting over. Success here feels very gratifying because it's difficult hunting. It's thick in-between logged areas and makes glassing pretty tough. Just a few facts from my 25 yrs of hunting in this unit....
I agree with this assessment

Reactions: KID
I live in North Idaho. Yes there are wolves. Yes there are a lot of Elk. Yes there are a lot of forest service and logging roads. I prefer to hunt in Central MT or southern Idaho where I can hike far enough to get away from 97% of hunters and I can use my binoculars for something besides a neck weight

So I talked to a fish and game biologist last week… she told the biggest problem with 10, 10a is lions… I plan on hunting 10a this next September.

Make sure you are under 50 inch and on public roads. Potlatch corp just recently closed most of their roads to motorized vehicles. You can't even use electric bikes. But there are enough public corridors to get you close to your spots

So I talked to a fish and game biologist last week… she told the biggest problem with 10, 10a is lions… I plan on hunting 10a this next September.
the same garbage they told me about the area, funny you mention "she" I talked to a woman at the sheep show probably same person.I asked her what do wolves eat? how many wolves are in those units and she couldnt answer it. Somehow in 4 years with extensive scouting, lots of hours hunting and countless hours traveling those roads in miles and miles of snow, hiking in snow. Id estimate 100-150k trail cam pics and I have yet to capture a picture of a single cougar and have seen 2 sets of cougar tracks in those years. In places there are cougar problems I have no issues getting cougar pics. One thing i see tons of sign of is wolves! tracks, I see them, hear them and thousands of pics of them.

There are a lot of wolves, but there are also a lot of elk that know how to hide from the wolves. Tough unit to hunt, but you'll see elk if the outfitter is good at his job.

If it were me in the unit, I'd rather go on a guided cougar hunt or bear hunt with hounds as I know it would be worth it.

Do you know any one

I am extremely familiar with 10A to say the least. The wolves were virtually exterminated in 2021/2022 by one individual. I won’t name names because he is currently in some hot water for other illegal game activities and I won’t air him out in public. However, there are piles of lions and bears as mentioned; like, a lot.

I am extremely familiar with 10A to say the least. The wolves were virtually exterminated in 2021/2022 by one individual. I won’t name names because he is currently in some hot water for other illegal game activities and I won’t air him out in public. However, there are piles of lions and bears as mentioned; like, a lot.
You must be referring to Paul Coward. He deserves to be aired out in public.

For anyone wondering what he did besides kill a crap ton of wolves->

Back