Idaho Spring Bear

Ive elk hunted in unit 12 and it was very hard access even with some horses. Can’t imagine going solely on foot for bear. Great thread with lots of good info!

seww

WKR
I'm not a bear hunter, barely a hunter :) but got my eyes up for an Idaho Spring bear hunt this Spring. If not, it will get me outside and give me a reason to bring a rifle.
A couple of Q's:
1. Are the Spring bear hunts general tags? I looked at the website/hunting brochure and it seems like it.
2. How are the units surrounding Idaho Falls? 66, 67 etc? I know most roads open up again on May 1st so that helps. I don't care for a trophy hunt, I just want to get out and be outdoors, so technically this question is unnecessary.
3. What do y'all do with the meat? I've only had bear once back in Sweden and wasn't impressed but it's not bad either.

I'm not a bear hunter, barely a hunter :) but got my eyes up for an Idaho Spring bear hunt this Spring. If not, it will get me outside and give me a reason to bring a rifle.
A couple of Q's:
1. Are the Spring bear hunts general tags? I looked at the website/hunting brochure and it seems like it.
2. How are the units surrounding Idaho Falls? 66, 67 etc? I know most roads open up again on May 1st so that helps. I don't care for a trophy hunt, I just want to get out and be outdoors, so technically this question is unnecessary.
3. What do y'all do with the meat? I've only had bear once back in Sweden and wasn't impressed but it's not bad either.

1) all but a handful of units are OTC for bear
2) don’t know much about those units, I do know that some of the roads while “open” may still be inaccessible due to snow drifts, a good north facing curve can hold snow into June at high elevations.
3) bears are delicious. Roasts/steaks/burgers just need to make sure you cook it well done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. How are the units surrounding Idaho Falls? 66, 67 etc? I know most roads open up again on May 1st so that helps
This year doesn't have as much snow as last year (so far, hoping for a wet spring), but this is a FS road at about 6300 feet last year on April 25th in Unit 67. The only reason I made it this far is because a private landowner had plowed up to here to work on his lot. So there is the potential to still be a lot of snow anywhere shady.

IMG_0786.jpeg

seww

WKR
1) all but a handful of units are OTC for bear
2) don’t know much about those units, I do know that some of the roads while “open” may still be inaccessible due to snow drifts, a good north facing curve can hold snow into June at high elevations.
3) bears are delicious. Roasts/steaks/burgers just need to make sure you cook it well done.

Sweet, thank you! I really do like the OTC system :)

And yes on the road tip, good advice. I know the snow depth isn't what it was last year but I rather not get stuck :)

Well done? Is that due to Trichina parasites? Back in Sweden, one has to send the meat off to be tested before anyone is allowed to consume it, but I've also read that the parasite dies once cooked thoroughly.

seww

WKR
This year doesn't have as much snow as last year (so far, hoping for a wet spring), but this is a FS road at about 6300 feet last year on April 25th in Unit 67. The only reason I made it this far is because a private landowner had plowed up to here to work on his lot. So there is the potential to still be a lot of snow anywhere shady.

View attachment 386668

I hear ya.
I'm getting more and more intrigued about this kind of Spring hunt :)

Sniff

Lil-Rokslider
I'm in Idaho Springs and haven't seen this thread up before but I thought someone was posting about town. :ROFLMAO:

Good luck this Spring

Saturday, st Joe
Actually under normal amount of snow. Elevation numbers are tricky. Southern Idaho is higher than North Idaho, but gets less snow.

Attachments

• 20220226_134320.jpg
    20220226_134320.jpg
    555.4 KB · Views: 79
Sweet, thank you! I really do like the OTC system :)

And yes on the road tip, good advice. I know the snow depth isn't what it was last year but I rather not get stuck :)

Well done? Is that due to Trichina parasites? Back in Sweden, one has to send the meat off to be tested before anyone is allowed to consume it, but I've also read that the parasite dies once cooked thoroughly.

Yes, don’t want to get trichinosis, nobody will make you test the meat here, just use sound judgement. I promise you though that Bear is delicious, it is one of my top 3 favorite game meats

seww

WKR
Yes, don’t want to get trichinosis, nobody will make you test the meat here, just use sound judgement. I promise you though that Bear is delicious, it is one of my top 3 favorite game meats

Very nice, I really have to think about this. The resident tag is cheap so might give it a go just for the heck of it!

Very nice, I really have to think about this. The resident tag is cheap so might give it a go just for the heck of it!

If you’re a resident you should already have a bear tag with your sportsman’s package and if you aren’t buying a sportsman’s package you should start questioning every life decision you’ve ever made

seww

WKR
If you’re a resident you should already have a bear tag with your sportsman’s package and if you aren’t buying a sportsman’s package you should start questioning every life decision you’ve ever made

Haha well I'm still trying to understand the system here, only been in Idaho for a year or so.

MHoppes

FNG
New to this thread and was curious if anyone had info on unit 17. We are thinking about backpacking in off of a horse trail around the middle of May. From the pictures of the snow I'm starting to worry a little bit of how far in we will be able to drive in. Any help would be appreciated!!

bst1007

FNG
A hunt residents should be happy to help with. Come have a great time and kill a bear. Montana and Wyoming also have good spring bear hunting. Spot and stalk is lots of fun and totally doable for hunting. On multiple trips I've spotted bears on day one.

Nonresidents wondering where to go have lots of options. The units with the most bears killed, say top three, are well known. They're good and have a lot of bears killed to some extent because of their popularity. Not crazy busy in those units from my experience but also kind of nice to get off the beaten track a bit more.

Salmon, McCall, Sawtooth, Beaverhead, Lemhi all have at least decent bear numbers. The Middle Fork and Selway Zones are not very accessible due to high country access points until Mid June or later when the bear hunting starts to drop off or get closed. You could target a mid June backcountry hunt in there and make it work but access will be a challenge and the bear hunting won’t be easy that late and in huge country. You could also do a fly-in hunt earlier in the season when the greenup is closer to the river and animals are closer to winter range. That would likely be a better hunt. You could have a wolf, lion, bear combo hunt and just an amazing time in deep backcountry. The other main access point to the Selway and Salmon Zones is along the river roads. Steep hiking but a good number of bears if you hike away from access points.

In general, for the average guy not messing with the lower priced tags which are more difficult to access and rugged to get around will make for a more successful hunt. Buy full price and go for it.

Throughout the state, you'll want to do your research to see if the road you're planning on taking will be open. Anything above 5,000 feet is a red flag. Call the forest service office and post on here if you want about the roads. Look at Snotel and information available online about snowpack. Many will be closed or impassable. You might be good for a while and then hit a snowbank. A common good approach is to find a lower elevation road and hike up from there. 4 wheelers are very helpful for getting around when access might be hit or miss.

Northern Idaho has more bears generally speaking than south and central Idaho. Panhandle, Clearwater, and Lolo areas can be productive. You will have to plan for how you hunt with all the dense timber but there are bears around and more wolves up there too.

Pioneer and more desert units south of I-84 don't have a lot of bears.

Normally the later part of April through early June the hunting can be good. May is a nice middle ground. You might want to hunt a little lower or higher depending on the timing.

Feel free to PM. Depending on volume and where you're looking, I might be able to help. I don't know that much about the areas north of the Salmon River Breaks. Anything south of that I've probably ventured through and hunted at least a little for some critter.
Great info. You have me second guessing my 2nd week of June decision for this season. Maybe I should be going sooner!

bst1007

FNG
New to this thread and was curious if anyone had info on unit 17. We are thinking about backpacking in off of a horse trail around the middle of May. From the pictures of the snow I'm starting to worry a little bit of how far in we will be able to drive in. Any help would be appreciated!!
What did you decide on? I'm planning on hunting 17 as well and have done extensive research but am still undecided on timing.

MHoppes

FNG
What did you decide on? I'm planning on hunting 17 as well and have done extensive research but am still undecided on timing.
We are headed out on May 13th and plan on a 2/3 day drive from Michigan. From the biologist we talked to out there we will have to call the loggers the week before to see what roads are open. Hopefully where we plan on going will be good but sounds like its a coin toss. We were told to find a different discount unit just in case so I'll be doing some more online scouting.

We are headed out on May 13th and plan on a 2/3 day drive from Michigan. From the biologist we talked to out there we will have to call the loggers the week before to see what roads are open. Hopefully where we plan on going will be good but sounds like its a coin toss. We were told to find a different discount unit just in case so I'll be doing some more online scouting.
Good luck to you guys. Have fun. Let us know how it goes.

What part of Michigan? I am in Grand Rapids.