Idaho Resident Capped Tag Sale 2024

H280

FNG
I think that was the best I've seen it operate since they switched to the new system.

The in person portion maybe, the online system is just luck of the draw. But it didn’t go down this year so yes it went better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
IdahoBeav

IdahoBeav

WKR
the online system is just luck of the draw.
There is no getting around that with the new system. However, the queue numbers and wait times were much lower than I recall in past years (new system).

ID2NM

WKR
That is the absolute worst place to go.
Not necessarily. Our local office had over 150 folks in line to buy tags at 10AM and everyone had their tags before 10:25 hit. That's a lot quicker than most vendors that deal with a fraction those numbers. Regional offices generally have their shit together and have optimized the sales process (e.g., 3+ sales terminals, separate pay terminal in another room) to ensure everyone is handled quickly and efficiently. Personally, I think the worst place to go is online. That's the real gamble.

OP
IdahoBeav

IdahoBeav

WKR
At this point, it doesn't make sense to try for the Sawtooth, which requires foregoing the controlled elk application. There are many controlled hunts that are higher quality than Sawtooth and have higher draw odds than the chances of getting a capped Sawtooth tag.

Brijake

FNG
Wasn't there talk of it going to a draw for 2025 tags? No more computer waiting or in person.

Marble

WKR
Wasn't there talk of it going to a draw for 2025 tags? No more computer waiting or in person.
I wouldn't be upset with that. This is the first year since 2020 I was able to get a tag. Wasn't what I wanted, but it gives me a chance to go make it happen.

Random draw, no points or preference seems like a good solution.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

I wouldn't be upset with that. This is the first year since 2020 I was able to get a tag. Wasn't what I wanted, but it gives me a chance to go make it happen.

Random draw, no points or preference seems like a good solution.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
Preference points are not a good solution. Other states have made a mess of things with preference points and I hope Idaho never does that. A random draw could be

Wrench

WKR
Preference points are not a good solution. Other states have made a mess of things with preference points and I hope Idaho never does that. A random draw could be
100%. I have been applying in Washington since 1992 and never drawn a bull elk tag even with 25 plus points. The problem is lots of people have a ton of points.

100%. I have been applying in Washington since 1992 and never drawn a bull elk tag even with 25 plus points. The problem is lots of people have a ton of points.
Definitely. I am part of the problem in Wyoming and Colorado. I have gained points for years and never applied for a tag, but it is what it is.

Would love for Idaho to go to a full random draw for all tags for NR. I would start applying again as a group instead of the computer bs that’s happened the last couple of years

I was bummed about Pio tags selling out so quickly. My buddy was 500 in queue and they were gone within 12 mins. Oh well, back to the same zone I've been hunting! :cool:

Holding out for a sawtooth tag is a great way to miss out on hunting elk in the Fall haha