Idaho OTC Archery Mule Deer 2023

King68

FNG
US Army veteran, experienced backcountry bow hunter, don’t have a shot to draw in NV next year, so planning on an Idaho OTC archery mulie hunt for 2023. Tags go on sale in 2 weeks so I’m looking for feedback on unit 35 in the Sawtooth Wilderness. Also looking at 36B as a backup, and 40, North Fork Owyhee Wilderness as a failsafe. Taking a friend out for his first big game archery hunt, any info would be greatly appreciated!

“Find ‘em where they’re at, kill ‘em til they’re dead”

Last edited:
OP
King68

King68

FNG
The OTC tag in 40 is restricted to a two point buck, don't get it confused with the unit 40 draw tag that garners so much attention.
Got it, that’s why 40 is our failsafe, tags will be readily available there. Will be a good backup for a first time bowhunter.

LONE HUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
What do the numbers look like in the queue? I haven’t hunted Idaho OTC since 2018 and it was still the old system.
It's a shit show. I was number 14,700ish last year. Don't count on even getting any tag. But the two point only tag does probably hold some promise.

Since other states are clamping down on non res tags the pressure to get an idaho tag seems to have sky rocketed since you last hunted it. I bought my 2017 deer tag in July I think and there were 3000 or so left.... now they sell out pretty much day of.

OP
King68

King68

FNG
It's a shit show. I was number 14,700ish last year. Don't count on even getting any tag. But the two point only tag does probably hold some promise.

Since other states are clamping down on non res tags the pressure to get an idaho tag seems to have sky rocketed since you last hunted it. I bought my 2017 deer tag in July I think and there were 3000 or so left.... now they sell out pretty much day of.
Damn…. We’ll just see how it plays out. Looking like 40 is going to be the end result

OP
King68

King68

FNG
Thanks for the information on the OTC “draw” fellas. Looking like unit 40 is where we are gonna end up. Anyone have any insight to this unit? Plan on backpacking into the Wilderhole.

Rob5589

WKR
I don't know why ID still considers deer or elk "OTC". It's a damn draw, just the most inefficient and time-wasting draw in the west.
I sound like a broken record but, they really need to separate the deer and elk "draw" days. That would almost certainly take the strain off the system, especially at check out where everything seems to get f'd up.

I sound like a broken record but, they really need to separate the deer and elk "draw" days. That would almost certainly take the strain off the system, especially at check out where everything seems to get f'd up.
This is the best suggestion I've heard regarding this issue, and they could implement it easily.

Idk jack about NR draw in Oregon but if your willing to shoot 2 points and are just looking for a hunt close to Nevada id look at Oregon NR draw odds.
Tags west of the cascades should be straight up otc

Idk jack about NR draw in Oregon but if your willing to shoot 2 points and are just looking for a hunt close to Nevada id look at Oregon NR draw odds.
Tags west of the cascades should be straight up otc

Tags west of the cascades are still otc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dirtscoots

Lil-Rokslider
Most units are now a draw for east archery as of a couple years ago in Oregon. Started with deer then following year they did same with elk.