Idaho NR Draw Bill… thoughts?

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Does anyone know how many NR applicants didn’t get tags during the Dec 1 fiasco this past year? Or what percentage got tags vs applied?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How many tags did they give out? I saw one guy screen shot he was 45,000th or so in line. Had to be at least that many. Too bad you can’t disqualify all the scumbags logged in on multiple devices.

Bigolmuley

Lil-Rokslider
I am NR. But have 800 acres in a general zone. I just want to hunt my ground. Every year I stress I won’t get a tag. Luckily I have been able to. This past Dec. had a buddy there to get one for me. Otherwise I would be out. To be honest I would rather have the draw. I may not get one, but I hate the anxiety of it all. Maybe landowner appreciation general tags?

This bill would end OTC in Idaho. I am not opposed if they don’t attach preference points and allow a party to apply together. Max of 4.

bb21afd3276fc5836460ec34e1eca11d.jpg

Keep the legislation out of it. Let the fish and game commission make these decisions. By allowing politicians a say in wildlife matters we end up with BS bills like this one where if an outfitter shoots a wolf they get a Moose/Sheep/Goat tag
I’m pretty sure the game and fish and the commission do not have the authority to change OTC allocations to draw or really a lot of how it is going currently, including fees, etc, it has to be legislatively done. The commission I’m pretty sure talked about this in the December Commission meeting in Boise.

The reason I believe we are seeing a bill.

Davisjj8

Lil-Rokslider
If you choose high demand units this is part of the consequence.

I think the consequence is lower overall draw odds. I was pointing to not the fact that in a completely random draw 1 person could draw every single year for 15 years and 1 could never draw in those 15 years. Just completely luck based. I think giving a single point to apps that didn’t get a tag the year before would eliminate the likelihood of that. I would hate a true preference point system because I don’t want point creep and to wait 20 years to draw though.

I’m pretty sure the game and fish and the commission do not have the authority to change OTC allocations to draw or really a lot of how it is going currently, including fees, etc, it has to be legislatively done. The commission I’m pretty sure talked about this in the December Commission meeting in Boise.

Correct. IDFG would need the statutory authority to implement a draw. This bill grants that to them. The legislature then directs IDFG to write and implement the rules governing the drawing process.

Anyone else get the sinking feeling the commission and IDGF see the dollars that just WY's PP bring in and want in on the action?

bergie

Lil-Rokslider

I was unaware of this. In general I am completely opposed to politicians meddling in fish and game matters, see the example I quoted above. However, if this is the only avenue for the department to implement a NR draw I suppose I support it. It should also do nothing but slightly up my odds for the big three here in Idaho so I can't complain about that either.

Z Barebow

WKR
Keep the legislation out of it. Let the fish and game commission make these decisions. By allowing politicians a say in wildlife matters we end up with BS bills like this one where if an outfitter shoots a wolf they get a Moose/Sheep/Goat tag
+1. Does the current system suck? Yup. Should the legislature be involved in being granted the authorization to conduct a draw? (Or any other wildlife management decision) NO!

Draw system should originate in G&F. If G&F currently does not have authority, have legislature grant it to them.

I can GUARANTEE the language in this bill was deliberately written vaguely and wide open. (IE The legislature will figure out the "details" later) If this happens, you can bet the bank every special interest group will be lobbying legislators for carve outs. (Fill in the blank) What seems straight forward initially will be mucked up in conference committee and what eventually passes will only have glimpses of original language.

Once reconciled in conference committee and signed by gov, we read the details, and people will be standing around and wondering "What just happened?"

+12 on NO POINTS. (Preference or Bonus) Straight random draw.

dhatter9

FNG
Im sure it’ll go to a draw eventually. There was a lot of frustration this year for people trying to get tags and that pool seems to grow every year. Just please, no points in any way shape or form.