Idaho Lighted Nock and Expandable Broadheads.

So whats the consensus here, expandable broad heads good or bad?
Lighted nocks good or bad?

Is the argument more about the process than the content?

sneaky

"DADDY"

No. It's about the fact that once they bypass the commission and go to the legislature to change hunting rules they can do it for anything they want. It's a slippery slope that doesn't need to be started down. If they want to pull this nonsense, they should cut NR tags by 40%. If they ask why....well, they claim these will make them more accurate and deadly, need to keep harvest numbers where they are. See which one is more important to them.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ODB

WKR

Primitive seasons should have limits - that they seems arbitrary is irrelevant. Else why even have discrete seasons?

My guess is this knucklehead has a friend trying to manufacture/sell said products. I can’t say I’ve heard a more specious justification.

and the fact legislators are overriding FG is dumb. FG has said declaratively in the past “no” on these issues.

Sounds a lot like liberal incrementalism.

Great news, hope it passes. Nothing wrong with either of those two things contrary to what the "old guard" think...

OP
Customweld

I don't think that lighted nocks or expandable broadheads are either good nor bad. They are just a tool that, according to some, make a hunter more proficient . The process itself is a joke. With all the stuff going on in the state, putting a rule like this in front of a legislative body is an absolute waste of time. That is what IFG Commissioners are appointed to do. If you look to see who sits on the Resource and Conservation Committee (the House Committee that oversees IFG) you would note that they aren't necessarily sportsmen friendly.
Going forward with increase proficiency and lethality equals less opportunity. What is starting to show, is archery success is starting to rival any weapon success. More time in the field, and better equipment equals higher success rates. Higher success rates eventually equal less opportunity.

ODB

WKR
There is also the barbed broadhead restriction which must also be removed before expandables can be used.

Mtnboy

WKR
Great news, hope it passes. Nothing wrong with either of those two things contrary to what the "old guard" think...

This completely ignores the bigger picture here.

There is also nothing super beneficial about either of those things despite what marketing says and those who are looking for every "easy button" possible think.

Last edited:

TheTone

WKR

For me it’s more process, yes. I wonder who paid him to write the bill? Apparently the local archery club in his hometown isn’t in favor.

Won’t a lighted nock that is turned off or dead battery be just as hard to find if that’s a real concern? The justification is laughable

Marmots

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a little apprehensive that these two archery gimmicks are a trojan horse setting a precedent for ballot box or special interest biology to ignore agency science on future issues.

If I'm wrong and there isn't some sinister plan behind this, I'm still annoyed that legislators are spending time on this measure instead of addressing all of the serious problems that come with a rural valley suddenly becoming the fastest growing metropolitan area in the country.

No one that grew up here can afford to live here, there's LA-style traffic jams on roads running through horse pastures, developers are breaking every law in the book, and this elected official thinks the most urgent issue facing Idahoans is our arrows are too dark.

TheTone

WKR
I'm a little apprehensive that these two archery gimmicks are a trojan horse setting a precedent for ballot box or special interest biology to ignore agency science on future issues.

If I'm wrong and there isn't some sinister plan behind this, I'm still annoyed that legislators are spending time on this measure instead of addressing all of the serious problems that come with a rural valley suddenly becoming the fastest growing metropolitan area in the country.

No one that grew up here can afford to live here, there's LA-style traffic jams on roads running through horse pastures, developers are breaking every law in the book, and this elected official thinks the most urgent issue facing Idahoans is our arrows are too dark.
Agreed ona waste of legislative time. State has a massive budget surplus they don’t know what to do with, the education is poorly funded, roads are absolutely crap, people already here are being crushed by property tax and home values and this is what they spend time on…

downthepipe

Lil-Rokslider
If it’s such a big deal, it sounds like sportsmen groups should be drafting legislation which restricts legislators from making such changes or in other words giving the commission full authority over a certain set of topics.

ODB

WKR

Boom

Mtnboy

WKR

The Wolf laws passed last year were the Trojan Horse. Legislators knew that a lot of folks would get so excited about being able to kill more wolves that they wouldn't care what was really going on.

Lots of us tried to explain this but mostly nobody wanted to hear it. What's hilarious is that Wolf kill numbers barely went up, which is also something most of us pointed out would happen because at the end of the day people enjoy being keyboard warriors over Wolves more than they enjoy actually putting in the effort to hunt them.

Just wait, there will be Elk "legislation" coming sooner than later....

OP
Customweld
The Wolf laws passed last year were the Trojan Horse. Legislators knew that a lot of folks would get so excited about being able to kill more wolves that they wouldn't care what was really going on.

Lots of us tried to explain this but mostly nobody wanted to hear it. What's hilarious is that Wolf kill numbers barely went up, which is also something most of us pointed out would happen because at the end of the day people enjoy being keyboard warriors over Wolves more than they enjoy actually putting in the effort to hunt them.

Bingo. The Trojan Horse already went through the gates.

sneaky

"DADDY"
So, you think it's ok for the Idaho legislature to bypass the Fish and Game Commission for Fish and Game decisions? Put wildlife decisions in the hand of the legislators?

sneaky

"DADDY"

Yeah, everybody wants to be a wolf hunter til they go wolf hunting in winter. Bout froze my butt off on my sled today out trying to cut tracks.

This completely ignores the bigger picture here.

There is also nothing super beneficial about either of those things despite what marketing says and those who are looking for every "easy button" possible think.
Nothing about either makes it easier…. Nice try

So, you think it's ok for the Idaho legislature to bypass the Fish and Game Commission for Fish and Game decisions? Put wildlife decisions in the hand of the legislators?

Both should be legal, I don’t mind to much who says they can be.