Idaho falls, idaho archery and hunting

I'm about to make the move from the greater seattle Wa area out to idaho falls and im curious as to how the archery scene and hunting is? I come from Washington so anything is a improvement. Any input on the idaho falls area as a outdoorsman and mountain hunter would be great. Thank you in advance.

It's a beautiful area. Plenty to do, just have to be able to embrace all different types of weather. I've got 20" of snow heading my way next week and I am just down the road from there.

mike.adams.467

Lil-Rokslider
Keep in mind, Idaho Falls, like many mountain cities, is changing. I've lived here over 30 years, and watched it balloon into a population of 60,000, with never-ending new construction. Rexburg, 25 miles away, is an exploding college town. A significant number of these people are outdoors types; it has impacted the pressure on the area. You can get away, but if you think you will be alone on any given day, you probably will be disappointed.

Yes, it is cold and snowy too!

It’s a good place; it took me a little while to learn where to go and where not to go. Give yourself two years to find your really good spots IMO.

There’s really only one or two archery shops but I love the folks at Downwind. Amazing people.

I’ve found that you kind of have to drive at least 30 minutes from IF to really be in the “outdoors” (ie not Ag fields); but once you’re out there you’re golden. No matter what it will be an improvement from Seattle IMO.

Feel free to message me if you have questions

OP
M
I honestly don’t think you could be in a better spot for hunting opportunities than ID.
I'm really excited with wyoming, montana and Utah all close by as well
It's a beautiful area. Plenty to do, just have to be able to embrace all different types of weather. I've got 20" of snow heading my way next week and I am just down the road from there.
I have no problem with snow, I actua
Keep in mind, Idaho Falls, like many mountain cities, is changing. I've lived here over 30 years, and watched it balloon into a population of 60,000, with never-ending new construction. Rexburg, 25 miles away, is an exploding college town. A significant number of these people are outdoors types; it has impacted the pressure on the area. You can get away, but if you think you will be alone on any given day, you probably will be disappointed.

Yes, it is cold and snowy too!
Yeah that worries me with the growth, I have no problem putting miles on ground and I'll take the bow if it means less pressure or less people. Thank you for the information. I look forward to getting out of this state although I'll miss the bear hunting here.

OP
M
It’s a good place; it took me a little while to learn where to go and where not to go. Give yourself two years to find your really good spots IMO.

There’s really only one or two archery shops but I love the folks at Downwind. Amazing people.

I’ve found that you kind of have to drive at least 30 minutes from IF to really be in the “outdoors” (ie not Ag fields); but once you’re out there you’re golden. No matter what it will be an improvement from Seattle IMO.

Awesome , I might take you up on that, and I love getting my boots on the ground. What about archery ranges and 3d shooting? I shoot mainly traditional but have no problem grabbing a compound again if needed and no problem grabbing the rifle as well. Whatever it takes to get out wether hunting or general shooting.

Awesome , I might take you up on that, and I love getting my boots on the ground. What about archery ranges and 3d shooting? I shoot mainly traditional but have no problem grabbing a compound again if needed and no problem grabbing the rifle as well. Whatever it takes to get out wether hunting or general shooting.
There’s a good outdoor range near Ammon that goes out to 80 I think. The DW archery shop has an outdoor and small indoor range as well. But there’s quite a bit of BLM within 20-30 minutes too where you could shoot to your hearts desire

Yeah man hit me up whenever.

mike.adams.467

Lil-Rokslider

I'll second the recommendation on Downwind Archery. Good people, family owned.

seww

WKR

I think you nailed it. We moved here about 2 years ago and now finally I can find my way around and some hot spots for animals and no people.
A snowmobile in the winter would help to get out there too...

Nothing but good to say about Downwind, even though I've only been in there a handful of times.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I love snow, and the cold, it keeps people inside while I get to get out and have great experiences without the crowds
Oh man, this isn't Washington. There'll be people everywhere outside in the snow here

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
I'm really excited with wyoming, montana and Utah all close by as well

I have no problem with snow, I actua

Yeah that worries me with the growth, I have no problem putting miles on ground and I'll take the bow if it means less pressure or less people. Thank you for the information. I look forward to getting out of this state although I'll miss the bear hunting here.
Lol. Bear hunting in Idaho is light years ahead of Washington. We don't have a nazi game commission that closes down everything to appease Seattle like Washington does. Spring bear, hounds, baiting. All legal here. You won't miss Washington bear hunting for long

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk