Idaho draw results 2023

CorbLand

WKR
I think you need to get out and take a look…
I do get out and about in June but I dont make it a massive priority. 10 days ago I found a couple bucks, not even branched yet. Found about three elk that had about 6 inch fronts if that.

I do get out and about in June but I dont make it a massive priority. 10 days ago I found a couple bucks, not even branched yet. Found about three elk that had about 6 inch fronts if that.
Elk do the majority of their growth in June. All of the big bulls I’m watching currently are 3/4s of the way grown. More than grown enough to know which to watch. The bucks are starting to fork and give enough of an idea to make the list to check on again in 2 weeks.

bevance

FNG
I don't understand why there are so many people who believe these states make a killing off draw applications and fees. No way any of these (most of them dysfunctional and disorganized) state agencies come out anywhere but even in the best case scenario. I'd imagine most go into the red on holding draws. Idaho pays a third party so the draw is obviously costing them to conduct. Imagine how much money a state like Colorado shells out just in postage sending out tags to their recipients?

The myth they make money off your 54 dollars for elk/deer/antelope app is almost as laughable to me as the locals here in WV that claim the DNR stocks rattlesnakes via helicopter.

Hell, there ain't anything stopping you from scouting now. You know what hunts you put in for, get in the hills and start looking. If you don't draw the tag, time in the hills for any reason is time well spent.

CorbLand

WKR
Elk do the majority of their growth in June. All of the big bulls I’m watching currently are 3/4s of the way grown. More than grown enough to know which to watch. The bucks are starting to fork and give enough of an idea to make the list to check on again in 2 weeks.
Our elk must be really far behind because I havent seen any that are even close to that.

Like I said, if you are just looking for them animals in general, I can see the benefits to it.

I will concede that "wasting your time" was not the best wording.

Hell, there ain't anything stopping you for scouting now. You know what hunts you put in for, get in the hills and start looking. If you don't draw the tag, time in the hills for any reason is time well spent.
I have plenty of other tags and other places I need to figure out to not waste time on any of the 2% tags I apply for without having confirmation a tag draw.

Our elk must be really far behind because I havent seen any that are even close to that.

Like I said, if you are just looking for them animals in general, I can see the benefits to it.

I will concede that "wasting your time" was not the best wording.
You said you were last out 10 days ago?

CorbLand

WKR
I’m sure the bulls you saw 10 days ago have put on alot of antler since then. That’s a lot of time in June antler growth on an elk.
Yep, they probably have and it will still be there in 10 days when I really start scouting.

Like I said, if you are just looking for animals in general, then go out in June but July is when you can really tell.

Yep, they probably have and it will still be there in 10 days when I really start scouting.

Like I said, if you are just looking for animals in general, then go out in June but July is when you can really tell.
A lot of us are spread between 2-5 states and 10+ tags to scout for with our own tags and all the people we help. July alone is not enough. I’ll take every extra day I can get to plan trips and make time to make the most of these tags.

CorbLand

WKR
A lot of us are spread between 2-5 states and 10+ tags to scout for with our own tags and all the people we help. July alone is not enough. I’ll take every extra day I can get to plan trips and make time to make the most of these tags.
I wont continue to derail this thread but it sounds like slowing down and prioritizing would be more beneficial.

I will concede that "wasting your time" was not the best wording, different areas and circumstances dictate different necessities. Overall, bad and generalized comment on my part.

OP
Idamuley

Idamuley

FNG
I got called on june 9th from IDFG and told I was drawn for one of the ten deer Super Hunt tag for 2023!!!!
So I'm looking for suggestions? Looks like unit 44 may be the unit to hunt. Been chasing a toad in 36a the last 2 yrs but a very difficult hunt. Also been hunting 43 but it's very crowded. Also eyeing the late hunt in 54 in November. What's my best chance, early or late season? I've never been lucky enough to hunt late season and have only dreamed about it! Thx
I think the best thing to do would be to find a couple units that you like close to each other and hunt those, you don’t want to waste to much time bouncing around instead of hunting. Depending how big the buck in 36a is you might want to focus on him. If that buck is the caliber buck you would be willing to kill. You already have some history and know where he is so you have some good insight that is almost invaluable on a big buck.

MudFlood

FNG
On Elk Talk's podcast this morning, Corey Jacobsen guessed Friday the 30th. Not sure if this is right, but he said F&G typically release results on Friday so they have the weekend to avoid answering "why didn't I draw" questions. 😄

On Elk Talk's podcast this morning, Corey Jacobsen guessed Friday the 30th. Not sure if this is right, but he said F&G typically release results on Friday so they have the weekend to avoid answering "why didn't I draw" questions. 😄
Idaho hasn’t released the the deer, elk, antelope draws on a Friday in the recent past. But it’s possible! Other states definitely tend to do that.