Idaho 2018/19 winter

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
It just won't stop. And it's gonna continue for another 2 days. One of my coworkers lives in Round Valley near cascade and has got 38 inches since Friday. He keeps track of snowfall and this brings his total this year to 12 feet.

Randy

Broomd

WKR
Here in whitetail country things are getting a bit sporty. I jumped on the mountain sled yesterday to look things over around us. It's deep. Just north of us CoeurdAlene has had 50" of snow just in February--records shattered. Daily temps for the month of Feb have averaged 12* below normal too.
The snow is at least half as deep under the pines and firs in the thick timber. Judging from what I saw around here, the deer are predictably using those areas to travel, feed and bed. But it's impossible to drive around here without seeing deer on the plowed roads trying to avoid the deep snow; they are everywhere.

The elk are okay, still plenty plump from a mild Winter up until now.
Forecast is for possible snow for a couple more days, then sunny and zero lows for the next week.

Mike 338

WKR
First year I can remember that the Boise Basin is carrying as much snow as areas in the rest of the State. Just looked out the window. Still snowing!!!

pumatom

FNG
This is current snows
Well above normal
Starting to get bad

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-02-27-13-29-02.png
    Screenshot_2019-02-27-13-29-02.png
    860.8 KB · Views: 68
I gotta admit that I’m a little envious. Man, with all that fresh powder (I’m assuming colder temps/low moisture content snow), I sure hope that at least a few of you are taking advantage of it on the slopes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No powder, in Eastern Idaho at least. The last 4 days it's been a warm storm. Rain in the valleys, wet heavy snow in the mountains. I just got back from deer watching, they are starting to show the stress. There's a couple feet more snow than last week. If the winter kills a bunch in the next month or so, hunting will be tough this fall.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
No powder, in Eastern Idaho at least. The last 4 days it's been a warm storm. Rain in the valleys, wet heavy snow in the mountains. I just got back from deer watching, they are starting to show the stress. There's a couple feet more snow than last week. If the winter kills a bunch in the next month or so, hunting will be tough this fall.
and they haven't even recovered from the 2016/2017 winter. sad face

OP
Joe Schmo

Joe Schmo

Lil-Rokslider
Exactly. We only have around 50% of the deer that we had going into the winter of 2016/17. Even a 20% winterkill this year will leave us with less deer than the fall of 2017.
That's exactly the deal!! :(

Broomd

WKR
Was -5* this morning.

Feeding the cows this afternoon and had a bull elk following twenty feet behind picking up dropped hay scraps.
Finally tossed 10#s of barley/pea mix hay on the snow; he was mowing it down when seven more showed up.
The cow elk are slimming down in a hurry with the deep snow. They'll be calving in only two months!

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
February was bad in north Idaho but up until it was very limited things breaking soon according to forecast late this week....could be a lot worse up here like winter of 96/97 that started in late October and ended in April 🥳

IdahoElk

WKR
Here are some Elk from the weekend,haven't seen deer for a while.
dYdsPFl.jpg

WUlPWwo.jpg

2HrZdZ0.jpg