Idaho 2015

msmudduck

FNG
Our group has elected to try Idaho this year instead of our usual Co. Trip. Any pointers on this state? Looking for mild terrain were we can base camp and spike out from there. More or less meat hunters just happy to see some game and enjoy the mountains.

Zbowman1

WKR
Any Idea of where you want to go? Idaho is known for its rugged country and dense forest.

OP
M

msmudduck

FNG
No, we haven't tried to pick an area yet, something with moderate terrain would be ideal. Any ideas on a general area we should start researching? We have a lot of trouble picking areas since we come from the Deep South, our map/ aerial reading skills definitely need some practice.

Ghost

Lil-Rokslider
Well I can tell you where not to go, Stay away from the Selway and Frank Church units, super steep and thick, not to mention wolves out the wazoo.

Bughalli

WKR
Call DNR and ask some questions. Maybe talk to the regional biologists. Some areas are rugged or straight up and down. Good hunting, but you need to be in really good shape to last a full week. Also ask about wolf populations because they've devastated some areas. Lastly, the biologists will know more about game populations overall and cow/bull ratios. There's all kinds of terrain and hunting there.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I moved out to northern Utah, bout to move to Idaho, about five months ago. I'll second everything everyone else has said. It's steep, thick country. Mild terrain is normally ag stuff i.e. Private. Most of the public is tough country. I'll be way more prepared this time around but I suggest hitting the treadmill and stair climber now. Oh, and get a good pair of boots.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Should have mentioned I came out from East Tennessee. Our mountains are about as steep but not as sustained and certainly not the elevation. Good luck.

mtluckydan

Lil-Rokslider
I live in Montana but do some hunting in Idaho as well. Steep about covers it. I think I have heard it said if you could flatten out Idaho it would be the largest state. Seriously though, I spoke to a biologist this year who said the elk are definitely relating to the steep side hill areas as a defense for the wolf predation. I have hunted mostly the panhandle areas for whitetails and have seen a fair share of elk. If you want moderate terrain you might be looking at the wrong state.

OP
M

msmudduck

FNG
Thanks for the info guys, I either need to hit the gym or take another look at the map!

Beendare

WKR
FWIW, Wolves have changed elk behavior in idaho....no shock there. The elk now bed and spend a lot of time in those wide open meadows/basins up high during the archery season and stay there as long as possible. Some resident herds down lower in big wide open sage flat country so they can see the wolves coming. Plan accordingly.

You aren't going to find super easy areas to hunt elk but a relatively mild area may be unit 22 or 32. That area has some steep country but also some pretty mild country as well.