ICF homes

Mojave

WKR
Anyone build a home with ICF?

Did you do it yourself?

How did it go?

nobody

WKR
Not on a home, but we have some experience with it as a masonry contractor. Not installing it, but installing stone and brick veneer as well as mechanically fastened stone and precast cladding on top of ICF. Let's just say, after some recent experiences, we now refuse to work with it any longer. There's also several VERY LARGE GC's in the area that have taken the same stance. Lots of waterproofing failures, never seen a wall run plumb yet, and curing and structural issues out the wazoo. It's gotten to the point where I'll get calls from GC's wanting us to work on jobs where ICF is spec'd, and they just call and tell me to bid it out of CMU instead and they would get it changed to CMU with framed insulated walls instead. It's not worth the "on paper" savings in our (and several other people's) experience.

KurtR

WKR
My basement is built out of it I did it my self and been involved with some up to the roof line. If im building a house icf is the only way i would go. We have had none of the problems mentioned above. With proper bracing and competent concrete guys its pretty easy.

OP
Mojave

Mojave

WKR
I lived in an ICF house for 3 years in Germany, that is where my love for the material comes.

Super quiet, super warm, and if there is a random bullet coming toward the house you won't even know about it.

I was going to stucco the outside or plaster whatever it is called.

ICF does not work where there are termites. Because they like to build inside the foam.

Oldffemt

WKR
I’ve built several houses and shops with icf. I wasn’t aware of the termite issues (no termites where I live). If you have a competent concrete contractor they’re beyond simple and the finished product is amazingly efficient. I’m hoping to build my entire house with it in the next couple years. I plan to go from footings to eves in icf.

grfox92

WKR
I am interested in building a house for myself out of it. I'm a builder but have never built a house out if them.

My good friend just did an entire addition out of them for a customer and it turned out great. I believe the finished r value is in the mid 30s which is unbelievable.

A different guy I build with says he did one addition out of 8 foot walls of ICF and said it was a nightmare. With the wind, and the amount if bracing required to keep everything straight and square before pouring, he said it was way more expensive then conventional.

If wind isn't an issue where you are at I think it's pretty simple and fool proof.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

I've looked at it enough that If I ever have a home build, the basement and first floor will be ICF. I can easily see how people would not want to work with it but its still concrete at the end of the day and that requires bracing just like a standard CMU wall

OP
Mojave

Mojave

WKR
You guys that are naysayers are losing sight of the reason people build out of ICF. It will be more expensive, if than wood.

The insulation will more than make up for the initial cost.

It is also easier to lock out radon, there are zero places for cold to transfer through the wall.

Cost more, will make the house more effeicient.

High wind construction of ICF's sucks.

def90

WKR
Like all building systems there are pros and cons along with the fact that not all building systems should be used in all environments or climates.

Years ago there were billions of dollars in lawsuits against the synthetic stucco manufacturers due to contractors improperly flashing and appying the system in homes in the wet and humid southeast, yet I'm sure the product has been used extensively throughout the desert southwest without a problem.

f16jack

WKR
I have a Timberframe with a full ICF basement and SIP walls and roof. The insulation value is outstanding. Very little needed to heat it here in Northern Minnesota.
Proper bracing a must.

PXL_20210526_152600483.jpg

PXL_20210630_193735699.jpg

kleinpm

FNG
I built mine, solo, with FoxBlocks. Straight forward construction, well insulated, quiet.

They are especially nice for a DIY builder because you dont have to worry about water damage when it takes a year to get to the siding.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

I see several folks around me building with that stuff. I wonder about how you finish it with siding and interior walls. I also wonder about its longevity.

All the past failures like LP siding, polybutylene plumbing, vinyl siding, stucco that rotted the sheathing and framing, mold issues due to houses not breathing, ect…

Seams just about any time they come up with a new material or new way to use plastic it comes with a 20 year learning curve.

Tod osier

WKR
Hey Guys, thanks for the info. I bought a house with an ICF foundation and have been reading up on it since we got a weird leak this winter. I've enjoyed the back and forth even if a little off topic for me. Appreciate everyone sharing their perspective.

KurtR

WKR
I see several folks around me building with that stuff. I wonder about how you finish it with siding and interior walls. I also wonder about its longevity.

All the past failures like LP siding, polybutylene plumbing, vinyl siding, stucco that rotted the sheathing and framing, mold issues due to houses not breathing, ect…

Seams just about any time they come up with a new material or new way to use plastic it comes with a 20 year learning curve.
It’s been around for well over 20 years and has evolved substantially from the early 4x8 fold form sheets that were a nightmare

I used Logix forms and the plastic webbing inside the blocks has a screw attachment area marked with x's every 8" or 9". I did sheetrock right to the forms in a couple rooms in my basement and I furred another area to put a pallet wood accent wall up.