I won the lottery!

OP
cody21peterson
Thanks for the kind words guys! I shot a few arrows tonight and my broadheads are hitting a little to the right. Gonna adjust my rest and try to fix it. I’m running the Garmin Xero sight. My arrows weigh about 545 grains and I can get 75 yards max out of the sight. I know it would be safer to get more distance but I don’t want to change my arrow setup 7 days before the hunt. Meanwhile my uncle went scouting for me today and found a few goats
dd62316d255933de165beecd961499c3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I’ll say if this is your first kill here and now kill especially for goat then don’t hold out. Any kill is a great kill don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. Especially with a bow. You get a chance at a legal goat, then consider taking it. I would. Need company I’ll pack in an out and glass if I can.

Thanks for the kind words guys! I shot a few arrows tonight and my broadheads are hitting a little to the right. Gonna adjust my rest and try to fix it. I’m running the Garmin Xero sight. My arrows weigh about 530 and I can get 75 yards max out of the sight. I know it would be safer to get more distance but I don’t want to change my arrow setup 7 days before the hunt. Meanwhile my uncle went scouting for me today and found a few goats
dd62316d255933de165beecd961499c3.jpg

That’s exciting. Few things I didn’t see or might have missed on the gear list. Any sleeping pad, first aid kit, water filtration or anything like that?

Good luck man. Hope to see a victory photo! How do ya like the diamondback spotter?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

OP
cody21peterson
That’s exciting. Few things I didn’t see or might have missed on the gear list. Any sleeping pad, first aid kit, water filtration or anything like that?

I have a cheap Camofire sleeping pad. Also have a steripen. One thing I’m trying to get dialed is food. This will be my first real backpack hunt. I’ve always truck camped. I don’t wanna spend $15 on each dinner so I packed some top ramen for now

OP
cody21peterson
Good luck man. Hope to see a victory photo! How do ya like the diamondback spotter?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Thank you! It’s the only spotter I’ve ever owned so I don’t know what I’m missing compared to the expensive glass but I like it. Picture quality gets a little blurry when you max out the magnification.

I have a cheap Camofire sleeping pad. Also have a steripen. One thing I’m trying to get dialed is food. This will be my first real backpack hunt. I’ve always truck camped. I don’t wanna spend $15 on each dinner so I packed some top ramen for now

Lol. We packed ramen also. Quick easy and light. Get a big bag of trail mix that you like also and prep some small zip lock bags to swap into a side pouch every so often just for snacking thru the day.

TX_Diver

WKR
Congrats man! I'd consider the $15/meal food if there's any concern of getting worn down and wanting more calories/energy than the ramen will provide (at least on a OIL tag).

Looking forward to checking back on this thread a bit. Cheers

Diamond K

FNG
Congrats! I remember the feeling of getting the news of my goat tag too. Like someone said don't forget a water filter system of some sort. You should drink plenty of fluids and you don't want to pack in water with you. I like the Survivor Filter bottle. Also don't forget some sort of strong cord (parachute cord) to anchor the goat down. I did a full skin out as I wanted to do a full mount. The goat wanted to slide down hill during the process. I just tied it off to a big rock and problem solved.
Good luck and keep us posted.

OP
cody21peterson
Friday I found 1 goat
1e65b5a1d89819d10b2fc0ccb0270bd5.jpg

I tagged Snyder on Instagram and he said thats a baby! Haha

Saturday was the opener and we located another goat on another peak. Another hunter was already on him and ended up shooting him very high shoulder. The goat bedded and took 3 hours for him to die. Pretty unfortunate. He was a dandy.
35b39ce039861abc18957da24a57c5ac.jpg

Saturday night we located a group of 7 goats in another canyon. Hiked in 4 miles on Sunday but couldn’t turn them up. Going back up the mountain Thursday night!
8a0fb9580a4d4a9da7dfa86a2eb7f740.jpg