I won a custom rifle! I need a scope! (updated)

Which one?

• ATACR 4-20

Votes: 33 30.0%
  • NX8 2.5-20

Votes: 27 24.5%
  • NXS 5.5-22

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • Mark 5HD 5-25

• VX-6HD 4-24

Votes: 12 10.9%
  • OTHER PLEASE POST

• Tenmile HX 3-18

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • Eotech VUDU 5-25

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mark 5HD 3.6-18

Votes: 5 4.5%

• Total voters

SDHNTR

WKR
Also, I would just part to upgrade to the pic rail and arc or nightforce rings, no sense introducing a weak point in your mounting system.
Agreed. I like most everything about that build, except for the talley part. Get a rail or Hawkins rings.

If you want SFP, don’t overlook the NF NXS 3-15x. Too much mag in a SFP scope, like the 5-22, does more harm than good.

ChrisAU

WKR
If you’re ok with the weight, check out Zeiss LRP S3. I have a 4-25 and 6-36 that I have quickly fallen in love with. I also really like the Trijicon 3-18, just shot an NRL Hunter match with one. And I’d never steer anyone away from an ATACR and the 4-20 range is perfect for a mid to long range hunting rifle IMO. Lots of good options out there.

sndmn11

WKR
Haha that would be awesome. I might mess with the COO that I met at the show. Im sure I have a cheap scope of some kind laying around somewhere.

I'd probably do the Trijicon or the 2.5x NX8... Probably the former because of the price/performance value.

If Talley is a part of the package, they do make great pic rails and a really nice "tactical" pic ring.

slowelk

WKR
The 4-16x42 atacr (mil-r) is a better hunting scope than either of the other nightforce scope you listed in your poll. It's certainly better any of the others listed too.

sndmn11

WKR
The 4-16x42 atacr (mil-r) is a better hunting scope than either of the other nightforce scope you listed in your poll. It's certainly better any of the others listed too.

What about it makes it your preference in comparison to the others?

I have not paid it any attention due to the perception of weight for a 34mm tube, but I see it is listed at 30oz.

slowelk

WKR
What about it makes it your preference in comparison to the others?

I have not paid it any attention due to the perception of weight for a 34mm tube, but I see it is listed at 30oz.

Things I like about it:
- Low-profile elevation turret
- 42mm objective, and generally a compact scope that has good eye relief and eye box
- Zero lock elevation turret, not just zero stop. This makes re-zeroing when moving between ammo and lots easy as you can have up to two mils of adjustment below "zero".
- Mil-R reticle is a better ffp mil reticle than any of the reticles offered in the nx8 or the 4-20 atacr. 4x is useable even in timber. Not timber, but I shot a cow this season at 4x at 330 yards at dusk and didn't have to use illumination. This also speaks to the glass quality.
- 12 mils per revolution - all hunting is done within one rev. I realize this isn't exclusive to this scope, 10 mils, and even 8 mils is probably enough for 99.99% of hunters

30oz weight is no big deal to me. I like a 10# rifle.

OP
rootacres

rootacres

WKR
I'd probably do the Trijicon or the 2.5x NX8... Probably the former because of the price/performance value.

If Talley is a part of the package, they do make great pic rails and a really nice "tactical" pic ring.

It sounds like these are the rings they ended up sourcing. I asked for 35mm rings in case I decide to throw my mark 5 3.6-18 on it. They don't make a 35mm in the lightweight ring set so they found a rail/ring set through talley that will work I guess.

madcalfe

WKR
I'm running the 4-16x42 atacr on my custom and defiantly love it. I previously had a kahles k318i loved that scope, a little heavy but found out quick they need to be babied.

can night force just make a 3-18x44 atacr with the same locking turrets as the 4-16x42

OP
rootacres

rootacres

WKR
I'm running the 4-16x42 atacr on my custom and defiantly love it. I previously had a kahles k318i loved that scope, a little heavy but found out quick they need to be babied.

can night force just make a 3-18x44 atacr with the same locking turrets as the 4-16x42
Out of curiosity, what experience did you have with the Kahles that made you feel you had to baby it?

That 4-16 ATACR has crept up into my short list.

madcalfe

WKR
Out of curiosity, what experience did you have with the Kahles that made you feel you had to baby it?

That 4-16 ATACR has crept up into my short list.
1st kahles the internals came apart after 1 month of use. sent in and they sent me a brand new scope.
2nd kahles my gun was sitting in a padded rifle case with a life jacket and a coat wrapped around the case in my jet boat gun drawer. scope was completely outta sight and the illumination knob was coming apart. my buddys cheap savage with a tasco scope in no case was perfectly fine and still sighted in afterwards lol.

There a very nice scope. the glass is very nice (better than atacr), tracking is bang on, little heavy, but they cannot take any abuse.

OP
rootacres

rootacres

WKR
1st kahles the internals came apart after 1 month of use. sent in and they sent me a brand new scope.
2nd kahles my gun was sitting in a padded rifle case with a life jacket and a coat wrapped around the case in my jet boat gun drawer. scope was completely outta sight and the illumination knob was coming apart. my buddys cheap savage with a tasco scope in no case was perfectly fine and still sighted in afterwards lol.

There a very nice scope. the glass is very nice (better than atacr), tracking is bang on, little heavy, but they cannot take any abuse.

Interesting, thanks for sharing. I guess I assumed the Kahles 318i was basically a mark 5 with swaro glass and nightforce durability. The package and feature set of the Kahles is well thought out, you'd think they would be more bomb proof at that price point.

madcalfe

WKR
Interesting, thanks for sharing. I guess I assumed the Kahles 318i was basically a mark 5 with swaro glass and nightforce durability. The package and feature set of the Kahles is well thought out, you'd think they would be more bomb proof at that price point.
They are a really nice scope I liked it a lot.
The only thing I could nit pick is the weight until I had to start sending them in for warranty.
pretty sure @Formidilosus will say the same about their durability.

There is no correlation between scope cost and reliable performance.

OP
rootacres

rootacres

WKR
There is no correlation between scope cost and reliable performance.

Yeah, Idk about that. Price is correlated to something. In some cases glass quality, others fit and finish, with some reliability, etc. There are reasons Nightforce and Redfield aren't priced the same, and glass quality isn't the only one.

SDHNTR

WKR
Yeah, Idk about that. Price is correlated to something. In some cases glass quality, others fit and finish, with some reliability, etc. There are reasons Nightforce and Redfield aren't priced the same, and glass quality isn't the only one.
There is a lot of truth to the statement you are disagreeing with. He didn’t say glass quality. He said reliability. Give me a $3-500 SWFA over a $3000 Swarovski if we’re having a reliability contest.

Why ask questions then not listen to the answer?
Go to the long range, then scope durability testing subforum and read for hours.
You will see that the cheap swfa and nf absolutely smoke everyone in the drop testing and that vortex and leupold are junk and are not worth putting on a rubber band gun.

OP
rootacres

rootacres

WKR
Why ask questions then not listen to the answer?
Go to the long range, then scope durability testing subforum and read for hours.
You will see that the cheap swfa and nf absolutely smoke everyone in the drop testing and that vortex and leupold are junk and are not worth putting on a rubber band gun.

I guess I’m not seeing the question(s) you’re saying I asked.

All I was getting at is, in general, price has to be correlated to something. In regards to riflescopes it’s usually a combination of attributes, with reliability being one of them. With a NF you expect the durability they’ve built a reputation on. I made the statement, that I’d expect more out of Kahles at that price point. Evidentially that price is mostly to get Swaro glass and scope features with durability not being as high a priority.

I guess I’m not seeing the question(s) you’re saying I asked.

All I was getting at is, in general, price has to be correlated to something. In regards to riflescopes it’s usually a combination of attributes, with reliability being one of them. With a NF you expect the durability they’ve built a reputation on. I made the statement, that I’d expect more out of Kahles at that price point. Evidentially that price is mostly to get Swaro glass and scope features with durability not being as high a priority.
You asked what scope to put on your rifle.
A few have already mentioned Swfa and you are discounting it because of the price.

Besides Nf, NCO and Trijicon what you are getting for the increased price is a lie and swindled out of your money on an optic that is likely to fail riding on the back seat of your truck.

Go read the testing. You'll see that most optics fail to do there most basic task. Hold zero