I Suck at elk calling!

usmc99

Lil-Rokslider
Practicing my elk calling is really starting to frustrate me. I can use the little primos squeeze call and make it sound good. But with the matriarch and the all star I sound like a cross between a peacock and dying rabbit. Needless to say my wife is not impressed with me doing it in the house all afternoon. Lol! Don't think they're even coming out of the pack this year unless some serious progress is made.

Wileycoyote

Lil-Rokslider
Might want to look up some of Steve Chappell's elk calling tips. Hyper lip single primos call or the the one Steve has built with elk 101 crew. Ol push button will work sometimes. But just a soft sounding mew I'm over here, will probably work well for you. Good luck and keep practicing.

OP
U

usmc99

Lil-Rokslider
I've watched Steve's videos he does a great job. . I feel like the placement feels fine but might just be a matter of how I'm pushing the air or something. I'll keep after it

I've often wondered myself how good to I have to be at calling to have a chance at getting an elk to believe that I am another elk? I have practiced quite a bit over the summer with a few different reed calls. I feel like I am decent at basic cow sounds, but is decent good enough? Since I have never heard an elk in the wild, I am trying to imitate sounds based off youtube videos and podcasts. I've watched Steve's videos and learned a ton, but I don't feel like I sound half as good as him. Oh well, guess we will find out in couple weeks. I guess the worst that can happen is I run some elk off and live and learn.

Davebuech

WKR
If you've never heard them in the wild then at least watch some videos of them in the wild. Try to imitate as best you can. Sometimes mocking helps but always cow calling is a great tool to be proficient with.

I've often wondered myself how good to I have to be at calling to have a chance at getting an elk to believe that I am another elk? I have practiced quite a bit over the summer with a few different reed calls. I feel like I am decent at basic cow sounds, but is decent good enough? Since I have never heard an elk in the wild, I am trying to imitate sounds based off youtube videos and podcasts. I've watched Steve's videos and learned a ton, but I don't feel like I sound half as good as him. Oh well, guess we will find out in couple weeks. I guess the worst that can happen is I run some elk off and live and learn.

elkguide

WKR
The first bull that I ever called in many years ago, came in to a "7-11 sippy cup" straw and he came in hot and fast.

The worst sounding bugle that I have ever heard, was made by a 360 class 6X6.

So, yes it does take some practice but I have found that timing is far more important than sounds. Being too big of a bull can be threatening. My best advice would be that once you get into a worked up bull, just mimic him. When he bugles, you bugle. When he chuckles, you chuckle and once he starts towards you, when he bugles, cut him off and bugle before he finishes. Rake a tree with a limb. Oh there are so many fun things to learn about being there with the elk and unfortunately the only way to get the feel for it is to be out there among them. Watch all of the videos that you can. Spend time in Yellowstone if you can but do not call in the park..... the rangers don't think that is funny.

Just go and enjoy being out there and be relaxed. If you are nervous, I think that the elk can sense that something isn't right so go and have fun. Having hunted elk for a lot of years, the hair on the back of my neck still stands up and I get all excited with every bugle that I hear.

Jon Boy

WKR
The first bull that I ever called in many years ago, came in to a "7-11 sippy cup" straw and he came in hot and fast.

The worst sounding bugle that I have ever heard, was made by a 360 class 6X6.

So, yes it does take some practice but I have found that timing is far more important than sounds. Being too big of a bull can be threatening. My best advice would be that once you get into a worked up bull, just mimic him. When he bugles, you bugle. When he chuckles, you chuckle and once he starts towards you, when he bugles, cut him off and bugle before he finishes. Rake a tree with a limb. Oh there are so many fun things to learn about being there with the elk and unfortunately the only way to get the feel for it is to be out there among them. Watch all of the videos that you can. Spend time in Yellowstone if you can but do not call in the park..... the rangers don't think that is funny.

Just go and enjoy being out there and be relaxed. If you are nervous, I think that the elk can sense that something isn't right so go and have fun. Having hunted elk for a lot of years, the hair on the back of my neck still stands up and I get all excited with every bugle that I hear.

Good advice here. If you've spent much time with very vocal elk you'll soon realize what kind of ridiculous sounds they make. Cows are the worst, good lord do they make some strange sounds. Having said that I always strive to make a good sounding elk call. But if a bulls hot you can call him in with most anything. This is all in my experience on montana public lands however.

Jon Boy

WKR
I hate hoochie mamas as much as the next guy. I really do. Having said that my supervisor called this bull into 9 yards last year with a hoochie 1/3 of a mile from a road on public land last year. He uses it very sparingly and the bull must of been very bored but it worked. taped at 335 5/8

wapitibob

WKR
Hootchie will work fine if you can push the button right.
If you're having trouble with a diaphragm type call the ELK Inc grey cow call with the rubber bands is probably the next best thing or the latex ones from Abe and Sons. Open reed calls are the worst and if you get out your calipers you'll find 99% of them are all identical minus the barrel.

OP
U

usmc99

Lil-Rokslider
I hate hoochie mamas as much as the next guy. I really do. Having said that my supervisor called this bull into 9 yards last year with a hoochie 1/3 of a mile from a road on public land last year. He uses it very sparingly and the bull must of been very bored but it worked. taped at 335 5/8

I'd probably settle for a bull like that no matter what call he came in to. Lol! It's my first year and I have a plan and I'll see how it goes.

TheCougar

WKR
+1 for hyper lip single. Simple to use, cheap, and makes pretty good cow sounds. Hoochie Mama is the worst call ever designed.

I can't even get the diaphragm mouth call to work (the one that fits in the roof of your mouth). I can't get it to make any kind of Elk sound. I also have the bite type of call with the rubber bands, and it almost sounds like a cow. I wouldn't try any of them in a hunting situation with the fear of scaring everything away.

ScottinPA

WKR
What helped me the most so far is breaking in the tape on the diaphragm and relaxing my mouth and tongue.

I agree its more about timing than about quality of the sound. Been listening to Elknut's cd and practicing to/from work for several weeks. Saves the dogs ears and prevents dirty looks from my family. Get some strange looks from other drivers though.

AdamW

WKR
What helped me the most so far is breaking in the tape on the diaphragm and relaxing my mouth and tongue.

I agree its more about timing than about quality of the sound. Been listening to Elknut's cd and practicing to/from work for several weeks. Saves the dogs ears and prevents dirty looks from my family. Get some strange looks from other drivers though.

Not as much as cranking off a practice bugle at the stop light. :D

krossh

Lil-Rokslider
I've been curious, like many of us, just how good you have to be in order for calling to be successful. Last night 8-28-16 I was doing a little scouting and happened across a herd of about 80 elk. there were 4 spikes and 1 rag horn, the rest were cows and calves. I watched an listened as they fed across the meadow. I happened to remember I had my mouth reed in my bino harness so I took it out. I cow called a few times and the whole group erupted into a frenzy of cow calls. there were so many different sounds, many of them didn't even sound like elk. I got one spike to get curious and called him to 51 yards. a few cows came within 30. I've been fortunate to feel comfortable with my mouth reeds. I have to trim them down to not gag on them but they do work with enough practice. I say keep practicing. I used to keep my reeds in the truck and would often practice on my commute to work, or long trips. I've had great luck with the mini sonic dome 3 pack from primos. I also carry the primos cow girl, and one of my all time favorites is the Carlton long ranger. The latter 2 make cow calling much easier. Best of luck out there.

I practice in the car going to and from work. It keeps the spouse from getting cranky about it but I have this paranoia that I'm going to get pulled over by a cop if they see me blowing into my bugle. Probably not a problem for those outside of WA, OR, and CO though.