Calling cow elk

Mlkman55

FNG
Hey guys, New to elk hunting so please forgive me if this is a stupid question. My son drew a cow elk tag in Idaho and I’m wondering if there is a way to call in the cows (lost calf? assembly mew? Bugle?) or is better to try spot and stalk? He’s been practicing some calls but we have no idea if it will help or hurt more since the majority or resources out there are for calling in bulls. Ok, flame away

OP
M

mci79

FNG
Mci79, there are a variety of sounds % Sequences that attract Cow elk as well as Spikes over mature bulls. Targeting Cows means using a tactic where they are a higher percentage to show up first. What works really well is using sounds that require assistance or aid from their species.

Such sounds as the Lost Calf or Cow can work but there are others to be considered that I feel are better. Such ones as the Regathering Whine/Mew, Contact Buzz, Cow Party are several that come to mind. By seeing when to use one over the other depending on your situation will come with being familiar to each ones message to the elk.

I've called in hundreds of Cows over the years with all of these, the Regathering Whine being at the top of the list. Too, the Cow Party when used correctly is incredible! It's so realistic & believable to the elk.

These Tactics are all on the ElkNut App & much more, most are in video form so you can see their application & actual sounds used. These tactics have drawn elk from over a 1/2 mile away. Check them out, you'll be glad you did if the occasion arises where you need to call them your way.

ElkNut
Thanks! Just downloaded it and can’t wait to dive in.

ElkNut1

WKR
If you have any questions once you've covered the material please let me know! Thanks!

ElkNut

COelk89

FNG
All the calling won't work if you are not in elk. I would focus on finding elk and have the call ready should a situation arise.