I need a serious sleeping bag

fishslap

WKR
I’m happy with my feathered friends snow bunting 0 degree bag. I also carry an enlightened equipment hammock under quilt as some extra insulation that I can throw on top. It’s synthetic and super light, packs tiny. I snagged it at a discount when they had a defect/return sale. A few hand warmers could also go a long way.

Dead eye BT

Lil-Rokslider
I hear you, the zero degree bag I had was a highly regarded USA synthetic that everyone said was a furnace and the perfect choice for my needs. Froze my ass off in the 30's, didn't even sweat in temps in the 40's.

WeiserBucks-

I’m guessing your synthetic bag was a Slick bag (my guess could be wrong). I have a 20 degree Slick bag in which I’ve froze my ass off in 35 degree temps. I bought a 15 degree WM Badger microfiber bag after that and can attest that it’s MUCH MORE than 5 degrees warmer than the 20 degree Slick.

I woke up to a 9 degree predawn morning this November, toasty warm and comfy in my Badger. This, despite the fact that my bag was completely covered with ice, except where it was covered with water in places from the massive amount of condensation in my Hilleberg Nallo tent… I was wearing nothing but a lightweight fleece beanie, plus light socks, and light longjohn bottoms and tops, all merino. The Western Mountaineering bags are for real.

Blandry

WKR
WeiserBucks-

I’m guessing your synthetic bag was a Slick bag (my guess could be wrong). I have a 20 degree Slick bag in which I’ve froze my ass off in 35 degree temps. I bought a 15 degree WM Badger microfiber bag after that and can attest that it’s MUCH MORE than 5 degrees warmer than the 20 degree Slick.

I woke up to a 9 degree predawn morning this November, toasty warm and comfy in my Badger. This, despite the fact that my bag was completely covered with ice, except where it was covered with water in places from the massive amount of condensation in my Hilleberg Nallo tent… I was wearing nothing but a lightweight fleece beanie, plus light socks, and light longjohn bottoms and tops, all merino. The Western Mountaineering bags are for real.

This is true, I also had a 0 deg slick bag.. no comparison. My feet froze in 20 deg temps but again..I would have 'survived'

OP
W
WeiserBucks-

This is true, I also had a 0 deg slick bag.. no comparison. My feet froze in 20 deg temps but again..I would have 'survived'

You guys are correct, I had a zero degree Slick bag. I'm not hating on Kifaru at all, I just need something substantially warmer.

TX1

FNG
I am by no means as experienced as others on this site however I went with a kifaru -20 slickbag because I didn't want to get cold also. At 4.25lbs i have packed it in several times and have always been comfortable even in milder temps. This pic is from 2020 @ 10k ft in a para tipi in Colorado yes i had a stove but had not used it that night. The snow on the left side was piled up against the outside and right against me but i never got cold in the least and stayed warm all night. Not the lightest by any means but the penalty was worth it to me. I do however generate a lot of body heat.

Attachments

• IMG_2288.JPG
    IMG_2288.JPG
    264.9 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_2283.JPG
    IMG_2283.JPG
    517.3 KB · Views: 58

Blandry

WKR
This is really about weight vs warmth... the slickbags will allow you to survive but they will never pack down and provide the warmth of a down bag. The weight penalty is only about what you spend on a bag.

OP
W
I called FF yesterday to inquire about one of their bags that I really liked, their response was "Due to supply chain, demand, ect. we don't know when we'll make that bag again, likely not any time soon". WM bags are available right now from a few different vendors.

Blandry

WKR
I'll just say. I have a lot of syn clothes and stuff.. the new quixdown and treated down has really closed the gap between syn and down. Down is better, hands down you won't find a syn that performs like down.

TX1

FNG
No doubt down is warmer and lighter for equivalent temp rating my only concern is if it gets wet. I know if but in 2018 at 9k a front came in and my brothers tent filled up with water due to a bad choice on his part and his down bag got soaked. We had to come out early due to not having a way to dry it out.

No doubt down is warmer and lighter for equivalent temp rating my only concern is if it gets wet. I know if but in 2018 at 9k a front came in and my brothers tent filled up with water due to a bad choice on his part and his down bag got soaked. We had to come out early due to not having a way to dry it out.
What kind of shape do you think a synthetic bag would be in under the exact same conditions as your brother’s bag? More than likely you’d be coming off the mountain just like you did with the down bag.

This part is not directed at anyone specifically…
Take a down bag and a synthetic bag when it is about 45* outside. Submerge both for an hour (simulate worst case scenario). Pull both out of the water and wring both out. Strip down to your skivvies and hop in one bag. Document how warm you are feeling. Hop out and climb in the next bag. Document how warm you are feeling. Is the “synthetic keeps you warm when wet” crowd correct? Or are you pretty f’n cold in both? Totally subjective and not scientific but shows a point.

Most concerns about wet down are overblown. Most of our “life threatening” situations are not; they’re “life inconvenient”.

*zap*

WKR
The thing is a syn bag will dry out in the woods but a down bag most likely will not. I have washed plenty of both and there is a huge difference in drying them.

OP
W
Well that makes it an easy decision. The FF I have is about $100 cheaper then the WM equivalent.
FF is certainly a little cheaper, but I can't get the one I want in any kind of time frame. They literally told me that many of their less popular bags likely wouldn't be produced at all in 2022.

You guys are scaring me with the slick bag hate. I Finally bought one and haven’t used it much 🙁

tossing in my $0.02. Consider switching up your pad as well. I am a huge fan of an inflator on top of a solid foam pad For comfort in all conditions. I mix and match a matty mcmatt face, z rest and ridge rest with one of 3 inflators depending on temps, weight and bulk. My warmest combo is a ridgerest with an insulated thermarest inflator on top. I just find that cold ground or snow sucks the heat out of me fast.

last point is try putting a Nalgene of boiling water (original nalgene top and in a gallon ziplock) in your bag at bedtime. It is a great way to warm up And stay warm.