I need a new bow.

Hello all-
I’m looking to replace my Mathews Legacy with a new bow. I mainly hunt whitetails in Wisconsin but I do take occasional trips out West for mule deer. I’m 52. Ok shape. Currently draw 70 pounds. Looking for one more vertical bow before I move to a crossbow. Lightweight, accurate, let off and adjustable draw weight are important. It’s last vertical bow I will buy. Thanks.

Kularrow

Lil-Rokslider
I’m not sure if you’re interested in going down to 50lb draw in order to avoid going to a crossbow but sounds like the Mathews Image is exactly what you’re looking for.

For light weight bows, the pse carbons are as good as it gets. Stick with 70# in an evolve cam, or drop draw weight and go with the s2/e2 cam for the same arrow speed.

Mathews gives more poundage swing than most anything else. The SW mods only offer 80 or 85% letoff, and I think the dump on the 85% letoff sucks. The weights coming in about the same as everyone else, maybe a few ounces heavier, however depending on how you like a bow to feel, you might add weight. They have a centered Berger, which puts the grip lower than on several other bows, causing them to feel top heavy. My 33 I have a fair amount of weight on it in bars, but don't really need it. My VXR I had pretty dern light with a 5 pin spot hogg, q-lite quiver, qad rest and nothing else.

I think most everyone is making a good bow, you just need to try as many as possible.

Bowtech and Elite have press-less tuning options, but still need a press to time cams and replace cables.
Hoyt is shimming cams similar to Mathews.

Most bows you can change limbs on for 200-250$. So it might not be that bad to just get new limbs after a few years, assuming they are still available.

Think Elites still have 90% letoff, tho many western states have a maximum of 80%.

They are all going to be pretty comparable in accuracy, longer brace height bows will be more forgiving, slower, but frequently less aggressive cams. You will find that certain bows will shoot/hold better for you than others. Just need to find what works for you.

The new elites would be at the top of my list if I was buying something new. I'd go to a reputabke dealer and shoot as much as I could and let the bow choose me

safeskies

FNG
I just picked up an Elite bow and am loving it. 70# feels lighter than my old Bowtech set at 65#. Smooth draw!

For light weight bows, the pse carbons are as good as it gets. Stick with 70# in an evolve cam, or drop draw weight and go with the s2/e2 cam for the same arrow speed.
This right here.

I am 55 yrs old and own both the Levitate and the new Mach 34. They are great light weight bows that should be looked at. Good luck

I always own three bows. I now have three RX7 Ultras. My third just arrived at the shop yesterday and is being tuned and given a set of ABB strings. Sold off my bow it’s replacing as I did with the other two. I cannot explain how good this series is. They will be with me for a very long time. I too am 52 and have them all at 74 pounds. Easier to draw than others I’ve had down to 65

cuttingedge

Lil-Rokslider
Take a hard look at the Elite Omnia and Carbon Era. They both should be available in 65 pound max draw weight. Test shoot them with the smooth modules. I have shot the new bows from PSE, Hoyt, Prime, Mathews, Bowtech, Bear, and Elite. They all make a nice bow, but I think this is Elite's year. The Omnia is an awesome Aluminum Riser bow, but the Carbon Era is hands down the best Carbon Bow ever offered based on feel of the bow, lack of hand shock, adjustability, and appearance.
And, I am not a."fanboy. I will shoot whichever company impresses me most. Elite did that this year. By the way, I am 57 with back problems.

Badseed

WKR
Aside from personal opinions, its impossible to steer you towards a suitable bow without knowing your draw length.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No one can tell you what bow to shoot. Go shoot as many bows as possible. There are some great bows available but we are all different and like different things. Go shoot and choose your bow. Good luck!

Long Cut

WKR
I’d absolutely go shoot a couple Elites.
They’re by far the most forgiving bows on the market.

Go shoot as many bows as possible.
This is the right answer...there are a lot of great bows, each with their own unique or "better" features. But ultimately it comes down to what you shoot accurately, "feels good," and personal preference.

accurate, let off and adjustable draw weight are important
You're spot on here as well. Adjustability and let off will be important if this is your last vertical bow, but most manufacturers these days these are standard features.

WildWolf

FNG
Classified Approved
Go shoot what you are interested in. Also a lot of people are selling their bows that they bought last year. If your looking at the new lineup of bows id definitely check out the Elite bows. The range of let off on those are nice and the S.E.T system they have. I am in the market for a target bow and I am leaning hard towards the Elite Verdict.

guylaga

Lil-Rokslider
Go shoot as many brands as you can, dont let a shop try and limit you if your up front about trying and not buying.

Recent went shopping for a new bow for my wife, lightweight and adjustability where the main thing she wanted.

End up going with a Bowtech Solution SD, its 3.9 pounds and plenty of adjustment, and she tried "ladies" or short axle version of every "flagship bow" except for PSE and Prime.