I caught the hunting bug - now what (looking for opportunities to hunt before fall)

overland

FNG
I am very happy and proud to say that I was fortunate this fall to harvest my first animal (mule deer) during my first real fall hunting season (I went turkey hunting in the Spring of 2018 for the first time).

Anyway, I am looking to find out ways I can keep it going until next Spring (without flying abroad!). Anyone have ideas or tips where there are late seasons or seasons that extend into the winter? I live in Colorado and can travel to New Mexico or Wyoming.

Thanks in advance.

Hogs in Texas are year round and a hoot to hunt. Beyond that, waterfowl or predators in Colorado can be pretty exciting.

You are in the middle of the Central Flyway. I couldn’t believe the large numbers of waterfowl I saw in Colorado on my elk hunt in October. I have a friend who lives there that talks constantly about the duck hunting there.

So, if finances allow, get yourself a pair of Cabelas 1200 gram waders ( if you can spend more, go for the late season Drake Eqwaders), a dozen or more mallard decoys, and get after it. If possible, find a friend who is already into it to be your mentor. It can be difficult to get into/learn straight off the bat.

I love big game hunting, but it’s hard to beat cupped up ducks coming into your decoys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JWP58

WKR
Rabbits. A .22lr is about all you need.

Or make friends with someone that bird hunts, some upland seasons run through January.

Heaps of opportunity.

Enjoy the process of finding hunts.

Unless ur absolutely killed on time overseas is in a lot of ways easier then hunting 2 states away.

Can fly to nz for a two weekends type of hunt and get a se Alaska style goat hunt done for 1200$ or so.

303TrophyHusband

Lil-Rokslider
Small game can be a target rich environment. Coyotes are always fun. Upland opportunities via walk in access has been severely limited the last couple of years in eastern CO but Nebraska, Kansas, Wyoming, the Dakotas all have good opportunities.

Several states have whitetail seasons that extend well into January, public land opportunities may get better as the weather cools off in those places as well.

And I throw in another vote for hogs in the south, if you get on the right place there's nothing like it.

boom

WKR
AZ squirrels are on my radar. big time..i am at the point that a squirrel gets my adrenaline up has high and hard as a deer..

fishslap

WKR
Huntcode AF137L1R just popped up on the leftover list as a return. Grab it, hunt it, let me know how it goes. I have the same tag but not sure if I'm going to use it. It's for the southeast corner of the state, doe antelope, all of December and there's public land.

OP
O

overland

FNG
Thanks for the advice everyone! I'll let you know the route I take.